Unused Olivine City house
Early English promotional Pokémon names
Bird type
Cacophony ability
Unused music
More

Search Wiki

Poll

What religion do you believe in? Do not trash other people's beliefs.

Christianity
Judaism
Islam
Buddhism
Flying Spaghetti Monsterism
I'm an atheist.
I'm agnostic.
Other religion
Multiple Religions
Confucianism
Nihilism

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 4344 times)

Kannon

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • s**t Just Got Real
    • View Profile
Re: Religion
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 12:13:33 AM »
I think you mistake 'Inherently better' for meaning smarter, which if my dictionary is correct, it does not mean.

It just means you have a better grasp of reality than everyone else and thus, are actualy living in the moment and not preoccupied with massive loads of bullshit from other people. (Not you specificaly, just everyone in general)

ドナルド・マクドナルド

• French Fry Overlord
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • did you REALLY expect me to take this seriously???
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 05:22:33 PM »
Where's the Confucianism button?

Kaena

• Sandstorm Trainer
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 04:18:47 PM »
There's one now. Feel free to click on it.
and when the day arrives
I'll become the sky
and I'll become the sea

and the sea will come to kiss me
for I am going home

nothing can stop me now

-- la mer, translated from Creole French

King Homer

• You suck-diddly-uck, Flanders!
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • ALL HAIL KING HOMER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2009, 01:02:40 PM »
I voted agnostic because at the moment I don't belong to any religion. Though I lean more towards Buddhism and Confucianism.

I do believe in a god. I do not, however, believe that God is a big white man with a beard sitting on top of the clouds.
"Mr. Weed? I can't come to work today. I was in a terrible plane crash. My entire family was killed and I am a vegetable. I'll see you tomorrow!"

"Mr. Toad, how many licks of you does it take to get to the center of a Rhode Island state prison?"
(BAM!)
"JUST ONE."

No, No! Beer bring pain!

I think, therefore I am. I think.

The mayfly lives only one day. AND SOMETIMES, IT RAINS.

"My, my, hey, hey, Rock and roll is here to stay. It's better to burn out, than to fade away, My, my, hey, hey."-Neil Young

"I'm sitting on the corner feeling glad.
Got no money coming in but I can't be sad.
That was the best cup of coffee I ever had.
And I won't worry about a thing because we've got it made,
Here on the inside, outside so far away."
-"Inside", by Jethro Tull

ドナルド・マクドナルド

• French Fry Overlord
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • did you REALLY expect me to take this seriously???
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 01:22:45 PM »
Blasphomy!

Just kiddding.

SCf3

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »
As of right now, I'm an atheist :P
I don't believe in God or whatever at all.
Nobody is gonna like....save me, but myself. Not some god :P
Blah
Posts:  1,023 (1.746 per day) Date Registered:  May 08, 2006, 02:54:50 am

GoldenChaos

• Oldbie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 02:55:52 PM »
This pretty much sums up what I belive in a nutshell. I'm spiritual, but not religious.

I believe there is a supreme being, but I do not believe that this being intervenes in our lives. I think something created the universe, because it's way too complex to just have randomly happened, but I don't believe that there is some moral code you have to live your life by. You make your own moral code and if you can't abide by it that's your own fault, not some devil's. I don't hate religion though. If more people were kind and loving like most religions teach their followers to be, our earth would be a better place. I do think people do bad things, and "sin", if you will. I'm just not sold on the idea of a heaven or a hell. I mean, I'd like to imagine that good people are rewarded and the evil are punished in the end, but that may just be fairy tale talk.

I do know one thing for sure though: "If there is no God, man would create one for himself."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:57:39 PM by GoldenChaos »

VaeporSage

• or 'Amanda Seyfried' for short
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • i3WV6 3HL L507 I
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2010, 07:31:41 AM »
Atheist. Not only do I not buy that there's a bearded man on a cloud that makes rain as opposed to the water cycle, but..being Christian...there really are few good examples of Christians. The Ten Commandments say, "Thou shalt not kill," but there are wars worldwide in which Christians are fighting, and indeed killing. Back hundreds of years ago, it was widely believed that God spoke through the Pope. But Jesus is God, if I'm not wrong, and if the Pope truly were acting on God's will, why are the halls of the Vatican still lined with gold when half, if not more, of the world's population is starving/living in poverty? I know for sure that if Jesus ran the Church, or even if Church officials tried to live like Jesus as they SHOULD be, then the world would work out a whole lot better.

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »
I'm a Christian.

Yes, many Christians have lost their path and are pretty confused.  Interesting you bring up war, because God has helped alongside certain wars to keep a nation that keeps his word.  Don't expect to find someone to be a new Jesus.  Nobody is perfect.  Jesus will return.  Anywho, I hate how atheists (some of them) say that what I say in response to something is void because they think I'm wrong or crazy.  There's nothing crazy about believing in God. 

I personally don't believe in war if the cause isn't necessary.  If our country got invaded, then sure we should defend.  Honestly, I would rather take my own life than take someone else's, even if it was Hitler.

Anywho, modern day Christians have become pretty bad about what they do, because they become hypocrites to their beliefs.  I've heard Christians curse.  I've seen them gossip.  Some of them think it's alright to be homosexual. 

Another issue is that the U.S. is trying to eliminate Christianity and at the same time support other religions.  They will put a Christian in the fire, but will pull out a Buddhist or Muslim.  Apparently, us Christians are the worst people.  They must think we are scum or something.

FullMetalGlitch

• Ze Doctor
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 06:37:07 PM »
^Necropost, FFFUUUU-

In all reality, I am an atheist, but as a former Christian, I see a lot of your viewpoints.

And messing with one religion just because they aren't...fond of our ideals?

The U.S. government fails.
Do not be afraid of death...be afraid of ze DOCTOR!

Pawny

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm sharp! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
^Lolsame. I'm actually forced to go to the church. :S
Hug me~!

Torchickens

• AKA Chickasaurus
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 10:42:40 AM »
^Necropost, FFFUUUU-

In all reality, I am an atheist, but as a former Christian, I see a lot of your viewpoints.

And messing with one religion just because they aren't...fond of our ideals?

The U.S. government fails.

I'm agnostic/atheist, but part of me is deist. I don't doubt that a God may exist but I don't want to assume that it would be in the image of mankind, or that it would be the type of God which would interrupt with our everyday lives or punish us for our actions. I also don't want to assume that a God doesn't exist, because in that sense we may be assuming that everything is open to scientific enquiry, like being 'fish studying water' and denying that the universe may have been constructed externally by things which are impossible for us to measure, such as the actions of a creator (kind of like playing The Sims, we would say that they couldn't objectively assume that there is no 'God' but it would be surprising if one of them suddenly said 'Hi God!' and said everything about you. We may assume that it was a game that was capable of e.g. reading your browser history, not knowing it from outside of the computer)

A person who has never experienced hearing may imagine what it may be like to 'hear' in terms of their other senses, or may believe that it makes them a completely different person altogether. The Big Bang theory is an educated assumption, because while it is based on the observation that the universe is expanding, it assumes that when the universe began it was expanding from something minuscule, and the traditional 'age of the universe' tries to make an assumption about the date of its beginning based on the assumption that it has always been expanding.

I don't think there are objective, universal 'evils'. I think that they are just social constructions, because what is 'evil' for one person isn't necessarily for another. There's also the 'lottery of birth' argument, in which if something is beyond your control, e.g. economic background, race, gender, how can you be stigmatised for it, where some religions tend to have classist/racist/sexist traits.

I don't think you can easily disregard creation of the universe, because that may be making dogmatic assumptions about religion, which is essentially like religion itself. I appreciate people like Richard Dawkins for wanting us to not be 'fence-sitters', but I don't think that all religions are as 'dangerous' as he claims, and only those with an extreme fundamentalist basis which can be a problem, though I dislike things like the emphasis on a Christian ethos in schools across Western society, when others like a Buddhist ethos are just as favourable.

Email Youtube Twitter
Bulbapedia Starfy Wiki

glitchuntress

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • A glitching good time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
I'm was an christian but now I'm an athiest. Though, I didn't go directly from Christian to Athiest.

I first went from being Christian to being a non-religous theist. I found out that everything I thought Christian's believed in was wrong. I was disillusioned and thus, stopped believeing in it.

I still believed in god, but I stop believing in the devil, the afterlife and everything else the preachers told me.

Then, I looked up some stuff and thought I wanted to be a Buddist but after looking into it I realised it wasn't really what I believed in. Then I did some pondering and I started to question god's existence. I got to this point where I didn't know whether I should play it safe and say 'I don't know' or just say 'no'. 

So, now I'm an Athiest. Because I found that I can't just shrug questions away, I needed to take a stand. And god really didn't make a lick of sense to me, so that's how I got to where I am.