Celebi Egg trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitches
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
Glitch Pokémon cries
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Nickname outsider Pokémon and Eggs  (Read 169 times)

Evie ✿

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Nickname outsider Pokémon and Eggs
« on: November 02, 2017, 03:26:07 pm »
Wrong pocket HM01 (hex:F3) in many versions of Pokémon Gold allows you to nickname a party Pokémon.

Sadly this freezes the game on English, Spanish and Italian versions but works on French, German (although I'm unsure if my ROM is a bad dump, "Gold" with both uppercase "G" and lowercase other characters is a default name) and Korean Gold. In Japanese Gold the wrong pocket HM01 appears to have a different effect and seemingly 'nothing happens'.

I noticed I was able to use this to nickname an Egg. When the Egg was in the last slot of the party, I was able to nickname it. If I didn't view the summary of the Egg, its species (Togepi) would be revealed on the nickname screen, while if I viewed its summary beforehand it would be named Oeuf (Egg).

I wonder how this would work in an expanded party? Would you be able to change the nickname of Pokémon beyond slot 6, hence modifying an unrelated memory address? Also this seems to work for nicknaming outsider Pokémon which is really useful alone.
Hi! I identify as transgender female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

Email Youtube Twitter
Bulbapedia Starfy Wiki

I like to collect interesting video games.
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

The psychology of birth (including spiritual birth): pain>acceptance/courage in face of pain>embracement>unconditional love and strength

Beyond all philosophies are the things that go best for you; what makes you feel content. It's important to always follow your heart, so unless you feel perfectly happy about it don't just follow something because it is popular, fits a style or is conventional. Sometimes you may reach a point you're not sure who you are, but as things settle I'm convinced things do work out in time.

Couldntthinkofaname

• Zeta
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • The default personal text makes no sense
    • View Profile
Re: Nickname outsider Pokémon and Eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:00:28 pm »
Neat find!

You mentioned something about an expanded party, which I think is a neat concept, but I wrote a box name code that sets $DA22 to $FF, and the game softlocked upon viewing the party. Do you know of any way an expanded party might be possible?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:01:04 pm by Couldntthinkofaname »
"What's a stack? Can you eat that?"

"Sure, just POP it into your mouth!" (someoneplskillme)

Clash Royale profile: #LYQC9LLV. Join our clan because we're lonely.

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Does anybody really care?
- Chicago

Evie ✿

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 05:52:31 pm »
Neat find!

You mentioned something about an expanded party, which I think is a neat concept, but I wrote a box name code that sets $DA22 to $FF, and the game softlocked upon viewing the party. Do you know of any way an expanded party might be possible?

Thanks!  :)

That's right.

In Generation I opening the expanded party would work provided the Pokémon above FF have greater than 0 maximum HP (if greater than 0 current HP) due to the game not being able to draw the HP box, and swapping Pokémon in the expanded party is easy.

However in Pokémon Gold and Silver not only must Pokémon 1-6 not have 0 maximum HP, but it seems specific memory addresses (described in this thread) have to be greater than 3 (I don't know why though) to avoid a freeze upon opening the Pokémon menu.

Additionally glitches will occur that make navigating the menu a pain unless you view a Pokémon's summary and continually scroll down, including possible freezes. These can be seen in this video about map distortion; a side effect of opening the party menu with 22-29 Pokémon.

Obtaining over 6 Pokémon without arbitrary code execution is possible by moving a ????? 00 or FF to the top of the party and using move PkMn w/o Mail to withdraw a seventh, where from there on you can continue to withdraw more and more Pokémon. However when you withdraw a 30th Pokémon (Gold/Silver) or 21 in Crystal the game will freeze.

Maybe you could work around this though, and with arbitrary code execution you can set the number of Pokémon to above 30 or 21.

I found out that memory editing using out of bounds Pokémon is indeed possible with HM01, but I don't know if you can access many useful addresses other than DC57 and DC90 (Day Care species 1 and 2).

If you use arbitrary code execution to get more Pokémon however, you can corrupt addresses up to Echo RAM E426 (C426). I found something cool with this when you set the number of Pokémon to 142 (0x8E).

Though you can't notice it with this image, some of these characters are constantly changing and we can corrupt the music by entering random characters like in TheZZAZZGlitch's debug Yellow corruption 'fuzz' feature.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:53:38 pm by Torchickens »

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

Email Youtube Twitter
Bulbapedia Starfy Wiki

The psychology of birth (including spiritual birth): pain>acceptance/courage in face of pain>embracement>unconditional love and strength

Beyond all philosophies are the things that go best for you; what makes you feel content. It's important to always follow your heart, so unless you feel perfectly happy about it don't just follow something because it is popular, fits a style or is conventional. Sometimes you may reach a point you're not sure who you are, but as things settle I'm convinced things do work out in time.

Couldntthinkofaname

• Zeta
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • The default personal text makes no sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 06:14:09 pm »
Regarding the addresses that are required to be greater than $03, maybe something like this could work:

Code: [Select]
ld hl,$DA4F
ld bc,$0030
ld e,$1D
ld a,$04
.loop
ld (hl),a
add hl,bc
dec e
jr nz,.loop
*Rest Of Code*     ; probably change $da22 here

The obvious issue being a box name code that does something similar/same to this may be difficult to make, another being the fact that the menu can still crash if the user is unlucky (The latter issue probably cannot be helped). It is however, an interesting concept, being able to directly edit memory addresses by nicknaming an egg :)
"What's a stack? Can you eat that?"

"Sure, just POP it into your mouth!" (someoneplskillme)

Clash Royale profile: #LYQC9LLV. Join our clan because we're lonely.

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Does anybody really care?
- Chicago

Parzival

• The Betrayed, The Cleansed, The Reborn
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • It begins.
    • View Profile
    • YT Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 11:20:59 am »
If you were to call the naming script for a nicknamable Mon and can somehow switch the Egg into that mon's slot it'll name the egg because of how the script works.
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about destruction.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.
If you need to talk to someone, my PM inbox is always open.

Krys3000

• The frenchie
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Head admin of the PRAMA Initiative
    • View Profile
    • PRAMA Initiative - Main french Pokémon glitch website
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 02:35:59 pm »
Wow, that's nice! I remember now Haxel saying that to me when we were working on the best TM for G/S Wrong Pocket TM ACE. Thanks for working on it!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:49:50 pm by Krys3000 »

Admin of the PRAMA Initiative, the main french Pokémon glitch website
http://www.prama-initiative.com
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov

Evie ✿

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 04:50:49 pm »
Wow, that's nice! I remember now Haxel saying that to me when we were working on the best TM for G/S Wrong Pocket TM ACE. Thanks for working on it!

You're very welcome! ^^*

Email Youtube Twitter
Bulbapedia Starfy Wiki