Celebi Egg trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitches
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
Glitch Pokémon cries
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Glitch Discovered in Crystal  (Read 120 times)

greentyphlosion

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
Glitch Discovered in Crystal
« on: November 03, 2017, 06:37:32 pm »
Did a runthrough of Crystal recently and tested something out of curiosity, with a surprising result.

In HGSS, if the player leaves the Dragon's Den using an Escape Rope before Clair gives them TM59 Dragon Pulse, she will give it to them in the gym instead. It is not possible to use an Escape Rope to exit the Dragon's Den in Crystal due to Clair approaching the player as soon as they exit the shrine, but it is possible to white out inside the shrine if all the player's Pokemon faint due to poison damage. This, I did.

Upon respawning outside the last Pokemon Centre used, I returned to the Blackthorn Gym where Clair tells the player "You kept me waiting!" and gives them TM24 Dragonbreath.

However, when I went into the Dragon's Den immediately after this to collect the gift Dratini, upon reaching the door of the shrine, Clair approaches the player and gives them TM24, as usual. So, by doing this, I wound up getting two copies.

A slightly convoluted process, but one worth doing.

Flameduck

• insert text here
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • There's no point in SPLASHing!
    • View Profile
    • some forum about penguins
Re: Glitch Discovered in Crystal
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 06:52:28 pm »
Mentioned this on Reddit, but this is the result of the Blackthorn Gym TM24 event being based on the "TM24 given" flag not being set at Dragon's Den, which happens if you have 99 TM24 in your bag. Seems to be a minor oversight of a rare scenario.

Surprisingly, unlike other gym leaders in this game but like RBY leaders, Clair has specific messages for if your bag is full (having 99 TM24) both at the Dragon's Den and at the gym.

I'm in the process of recording this Clair scenario now.
EDIT: Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxSFHWvDeI

For other leaders like Falkner, it just gives a message saying "The TM Pocket is full..." after "PLAYER received TM31!", terminates the conversation, and lets you restart the conversation starting from the badge explanation, and get the TM later like RBY.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:18:29 pm by Flameduck »
blub blub blub

Evie ✿

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 07:06:06 pm »
This sounds interesting.

Thanks for sharing these finds greentyphlosion and Flameduck! :)

This makes me remember something from long ago. I attempted to obtain one of the key items when the key items pocket was full (normally impossible without glitches or a cheating device) and I think it ended up making it impossible to continue the game. However I've come to learn its very easy to have a false memory so some of these details may not be accurate, but I believe it happened in the Radio Tower during Team Rocket's invasion.

I think too the problem couldn't be solved by depositing key items in the PC; the game acted as if it had given me the key item despite a message that the pack was full, though I may be wrong.

Today I unfortunately can't fit in time just yet to get that far in the game without cheats (other than Rare Candies and hacking in key items for Pokémon to hold and take) but would like to try it sometime.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:24:58 pm by Evie »
Hi! I identify as transgender female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

Email Youtube Twitter
Bulbapedia Starfy Wiki

I like to collect interesting video games.
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

The psychology of birth (including spiritual birth): pain>acceptance/courage in face of pain>embracement>unconditional love and strength

Beyond all philosophies are the things that go best for you; what makes you feel content. It's important to always follow your heart, so unless you feel perfectly happy about it don't just follow something because it is popular, fits a style or is conventional. Sometimes you may reach a point you're not sure who you are, but as things settle I'm convinced things do work out in time.

Evie ✿

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 07:30:05 pm »
EDIT: Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxSFHWvDeI

Nice video! ^^

I feel it's so surprising, that regardless of the age of these games there are still so many curiosities (even those that aren't the derivative of an existing glitch) we keep on finding.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:32:13 pm by Evie »
Hi! I identify as transgender female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

Email Youtube Twitter
Bulbapedia Starfy Wiki

I like to collect interesting video games.
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

The psychology of birth (including spiritual birth): pain>acceptance/courage in face of pain>embracement>unconditional love and strength

Beyond all philosophies are the things that go best for you; what makes you feel content. It's important to always follow your heart, so unless you feel perfectly happy about it don't just follow something because it is popular, fits a style or is conventional. Sometimes you may reach a point you're not sure who you are, but as things settle I'm convinced things do work out in time.

Flameduck

• insert text here
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • There's no point in SPLASHing!
    • View Profile
    • some forum about penguins
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 07:57:56 pm »
Thanks!

I also just thought of a reason why the contradictory scenario given by greentyphlosion wasn't accounted for. In Gold and Silver, Clair's event happens directly after you get the Dragon Fang. There's no time to do anything in between getting the Fang and giving the TM, so the Gym check for obtaining the TM shouldn't contradict anything normally.

But in Crystal, the Dragon Shrine was added. Clair gives you the badge inside it, but she gives you the TM when you leave it. The gym check wasn't changed to account for the new possibility of being able to white out, skipping Clair's Dragon's Den TM event, and going to the gym again. The Dragon's Den TM event still activates since it doesn't check the TM flag, because you shouldn't be able to have triggered the flag for the TM before the intended method of getting the TM.

tl;dr Seems like an oversight, existing flag check that worked in GS was not changed to account for Crystal's changes and possible skips

EDIT: Also, a call from Professor Elm occurred when I left Dragon's Den. Maybe whiting out and bypassing the call stops you from getting the Master Ball?

Also clarification: you can't actually use Dig or the Escape Rope in the relevant area of Dragon's Den (tested in Crystal) to begin with.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:19:43 pm by Flameduck »
blub blub blub

greentyphlosion

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:33:24 am »
Hey, thanks for this and posting the video!

EDIT: Also, a call from Professor Elm occurred when I left Dragon's Den. Maybe whiting out and bypassing the call stops you from getting the Master Ball?

Also clarification: you can't actually use Dig or the Escape Rope in the relevant area of Dragon's Den (tested in Crystal) to begin with.

When I whited out and respawned outside the Blackthorn Pokemon Centre, Elm phoned after I took a step, so it seems that they accounted for you fainting after getting the Rising Badge. Which is entirely possible, of course, as you don't have to beat any of the Trainers in the Dragon's Den before taking the quiz.