Celebi Egg trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitches
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
Glitch Pokémon cries
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion  (Read 1394 times)

MissingNoGuy55

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Steam Community
Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:44:37 pm »
With Green, I have found some awkward glitches, such as the one at the FD slot, which happens to be a glitch Pokémon which is actually the Ghost with a garbled cry in which the picture literally appears crystal clear on the summary screen. I have not obtained learned moves as I do not know much Japanese, but the glitch Pokémon happens to be called "Beabiwo9101" (spelled ベアビヲ9101 in Japanese.)

I'm also going to try to research some more of these glitches, because they're much different than the ones in R/B/Y from some of the things I've seen.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:57:06 pm by MissingNoguy55 »

MissingNoGuy55

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Steam Community
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:03:23 pm »
With Green, I have found some awkward glitches, such as the one at the FD slot, which happens to be a glitch trainer that crashes the game, but the Pokémon is actually the Ghost with a garbled cry in which the picture literally appears crystal clear on the summary screen. I have not obtained learned moves as I do not know much Japanese, but the glitch Pokémon happens to be called "Beabiwo9101" (spelled ベアビヲ9101 in Japanese.)

I'm also going to try to research some more of these glitches, because they're much different than the ones in R/B/Y from some of the things I've seen.

Its great to have someone eager to research the Pokémon Red and Green glitches, thanks a lot for your help.

I just want to inform you (if you didn't already know) that the reason those "Pokémon" initially appear as trainers in a normal battle is that an extra byte manages whether the encountered Pokémon will be part of a trainer battle or a wild battle. This is 00 by default (a 'normal' trainer battle), but the game will switch this value to 01 for when the player encounters a Pokémon of an identifier between 00 (00) and C8 (200) which in itself is interesting.

The game will keep this value at 00 for values C8 to FF however. C9 to F9 'normally' appear in a wild battle as normal trainers (with the exception of Chief and Prof. Oak which are interestingly beta classes) and C8, FA, FB, FC, FD, FE and FF appear as glitch classes. We should not confuse glitch Pokémon with glitch trainers however.
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you know where this byte is so that I can change it?

MissingNoGuy55

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Steam Community
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 04:43:50 pm »
Found some more:

FB is a glitch that has a perfectly-normal Growlithe cry, and an extremely garbled type. It has no moves when caught at level 3 and has a garbled name (ゾ[part of health bar]Aビケ (zo[block]Abike). When it is sent out, it screws up the music and will crash the game if you select "FIGHT," and fleeing will produce walking sprites scrolling up away from the player (like in Yellow, but you can move.) Anything else will work fine.

FA is a Nidorino hybrid, but I think it's Glitcherino because it's in the same hex slot and Nidorino's sprite appears. Not sure, though.

BF is a purple-colored glitch with a sped-up Nidoran(F) cry, it's name is just "ji" (ジ), and it seems to know these moves when caught at level 3:

* Screech
* Pay Day
* Cut
* TM05

C0 is a glitch that I have encountered, but it's a hybrid of Poliwhirl, and I think it evolves into a Poliwrath hybrid as well. It's moves at level 3 are:

* Bubble
* Hypnosis
* Water Gun

(the same moves as Poliwhirl)

It's name is ア (literally "a")

I'll research some more later.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:44:47 pm by MissingNoguy55 »

Bert

• binthiswayforyears
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Hindsight - it's still stinging.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:53:30 pm »
So apparently, you can make some weird stuff happen if you remove the link cable during a battle.

Is this true? Every time I try this, nothing happens. I just get the WAITING! message when I choose an attack.
"Johnny’s got a gun Johnny’s got some ammo
He lost his firing pin a long time ago
Johnny’s got to push Johnny’s got that stroke
Johnny lost it all and now nobody knows
Ain’t it funny how he walks through everything
Ain’t it funny how he listens to everything
Well he’s got the gears well he’s lost the fear
Well he’s done the years so near and dear
Well he’s learned the ropes learned to cope
Lost the hope so near and dear
Well he’s got it all learned to fall
Dropped the ball so near and dear"
-Headstones, 'Firing Pin'

The Story of Glitchy, the 4. . | Meganium Man! | MEGANIUM ADVENTURES! (MSPA)

Calhaora

• Error trap
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • I. 599 5 ▓▓ ERR▓OR.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:17:19 pm »
Ha I did it!
(sry fpor Low Quality)

Its on my Yellow Cardridge.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:18:19 pm by Thanathan »

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 11:42:20 am »
I mean that the secret room exists in both the English and Spanish versions, as well as Red/Green and it can be accessed with the same method (01xx38CD), but the room doesn't lead anywhere.

(Not sure if there was a translation problem somewhere. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:42:59 am by Torchickens »
Hi! I identify as female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChickasaurusGL

I like to collect interesting video games. ^_^
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

Give love, receive love, repeat. But in order to love others you must first love yourself unconditionally, even if it means abandoning pressure from projects or taking time off work and empathise with the self as you are your own best friend. The key often is simply to follow your heart, your urges and have faith they are valid; use them to do what you want to do as long as it doesn't harm anyone, and/or sympathise and respect it as we all have bad days (even the prettiest rose has thorns but is still beautiful).

Lumi

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 02:21:44 pm »
I'm having some trouble trying to turn Pokémon shiny using ACE in the Virtual Console version of Yellow and would appreciate any help you can give.

I've been following this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/5q8zlg/getting_gen_1_mew_in_yellow_guide_does_not_work/

It's been working well and I'm able to use the codes mentioned in that guide (which takes its information from this site), but I've hit a wall trying to turn my Mew shiny. I've tried several codes that are floating around and none of them worked. Thankfully the codes didn't wipe my save but I've run out of things to try. I did try the search function but didn't find anything specifically about turning Pokémon shiny. I know the DV's need to be 10 for Attack, Special and Speed, as well as 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 for Defense for a Pokémon to be shiny after being transferred to Sun or Moon, I just have no idea how to accomplish that. I would be really grateful for any pointers on what I need to do next.

I'm using the English version of Pokémon Yellow on Virtual Console.

I have the 'ws# #m#' and the following 11 Pokémon set up in my box:
233 HP Seel
Parasect
Growlithe
Magikarp
Psyduck
Flareon
Tentacool
Female Nidoran
Three other Pokémon