Celebi Egg trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg data corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitches
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
Glitch Pokémon cries
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Colors?  (Read 3522 times)

Abwayax

• Founder/Technical Support
  • Interim Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Colors?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 05:55:36 pm »
Can't please all of the people all of the time, you know. There've been a few people who don't like that green/black style. I tell them to shut up, since it's my personal site and I don't care who doesn't like it.

OTC is a Cartoon Network site. The black and white are supposed to be a throwback to CN's logo, which is also black and white.

For GCL, the grayscale theme is supposed to be an "homage" to the first generation of games, which themselves had no color. GCL's always had that kind of look. There's an alternate skin with a white background now, which mirrors the current website somewhat. I might make some alterations to the current skin, but no drastic changes. It makes more sense than "just throw some random colors up there because someone on the forum wanted colors," to me. I find it quite annoying that there are other issues, such as ones regarding content, that are being ignored; instead people are making a fuss over colors. Is our community this superficial?

Oh, and it's "Abwayax" not "Abawayax". Please do remember that the forum rules require that you type correctly.

And I'm pretty sure most sensible people don't make their decisions based solely on how colorful the site is.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:59:41 pm by Abwayax »
A. Malacoda, http://monarch-pass.net

Free Software Foundation member #8136
Electronic Frontier Foundation member
American Civil Liberties Union member

∀xaj

• is dead
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • reply me please
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 06:31:15 pm »
And I'm pretty sure most sensible people don't make their decisions based solely on how colorful the site is.

You would think so.  But anyways, it is good to give first-timers a good impression.

Photon-Phoenix

• Gotta pop dem windows.
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 06:45:00 pm »
For GCL, the grayscale theme is supposed to be an "homage" to the first generation of games, which themselves had no color.

R/G/B/Y all had a four color pallet that changed depending on what you were doing (ie. looking at a pokemon/the fight screen/on a route, etc.) but always had tat crappy pink background color.

Example:

[attachment=1]

Quote from: Abwayax
Is our community this superficial?

Apparently... (Though not me, I just do stuff with the site (like make mockups) when I'm bored)

IIMarckus

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
    • iimarck.us
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 09:43:52 pm »
I find it quite annoying that there are other issues, such as ones regarding content, that are being ignored; instead people are making a fuss over colors. Is our community this superficial?
People don?t contribute to work on a nuclear reactor, but they will quibble over the color of a bike shed. [1]

For GCL, the grayscale theme is supposed to be an "homage" to the first generation of games, which themselves had no color.

R/G/B/Y all had a four color pallet that changed depending on what you were doing (ie. looking at a pokemon/the fight screen/on a route, etc.) but always had tat crappy pink background color.
This is only the case on a Super Game Boy. Other than that, the Pok?mon games had no intrinsic color until Yellow was released outside of Japan. Like all grayscale Game Boy games, the GBC and later models can apply palettes for some basic color. (Also, I?ve found some code in Red that appears to check if it?s running on a GBC, but haven?t deciphered what it does yet.)

Photon-Phoenix

• Gotta pop dem windows.
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 10:31:12 am »
I find it quite annoying that there are other issues, such as ones regarding content, that are being ignored; instead people are making a fuss over colors. Is our community this superficial?
People don’t contribute to work on a nuclear reactor, but they will quibble over the color of a bike shed. [1]

This is only the case on a Super Game Boy. Other than that, the Pok?mon games had no intrinsic color until Yellow was released outside of Japan. Like all grayscale Game Boy games, the GBC and later models can apply palettes for some basic color. (Also, I’ve found some code in Red that appears to check if it’s running on a GBC, but haven’t deciphered what it does yet.)

It probably checks to apply pallet since Pokemon Red on a GBC has a Red pallet for the background in the over world and green for sprites in the over world.  While Blue is Blue and... something iirc.

IIMarckus

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
    • iimarck.us
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 12:42:24 pm »

This is only the case on a Super Game Boy. Other than that, the Pok?mon games had no intrinsic color until Yellow was released outside of Japan. Like all grayscale Game Boy games, the GBC and later models can apply palettes for some basic color. (Also, I?ve found some code in Red that appears to check if it?s running on a GBC, but haven?t deciphered what it does yet.)

It probably checks to apply pallet since Pokemon Red on a GBC has a Red pallet for the background in the over world and green for sprites in the over world.  While Blue is Blue and... something iirc.

Possibly, but that has always been theorized to be a function of the GBC BIOS, which has never been dumped, because games like Metroid 2 (released long before the GBC) also appear to have a default palette.

Abwayax

• Founder/Technical Support
  • Interim Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 09:07:44 am »
Based on opinion on this forum, the the GCL monobook skin will have a white background instead of the glitch image background.
A. Malacoda, http://monarch-pass.net

Free Software Foundation member #8136
Electronic Frontier Foundation member
American Civil Liberties Union member