Celebi trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitch
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Search Wiki

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
No problem. Not every address can be represented with Echo Ram though. Thankfully, the main ones (Pokemon data,item data,etc.) are in ECHO Ram somewhere. I have yet to find an echo ram map, however.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe any address from $d000 - $dfff is in echo ram somewhere.

Nice, thanks.  :)
So I can simply use whichever I like and achieve the same thing? (don't want to dive too deep into gameboy specifics)
Sounds really useful since da has no valid character whereas fa is easily usable with 4.

Thanks for the reply.

No problem. Not every address can be represented with Echo Ram though. Thankfully, the main ones (Pokemon data,item data,etc.) are in ECHO Ram somewhere. I have yet to find an echo ram map, however.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe any address from $d000 - $dfff is in echo ram somewhere.
Because it's consistent and eliminates at least one source of error.

Obviously, this is nothing for a speedrun and if you prefer to roll the dice the option is still there.
This one is more for us fellows with large streaks of bad (rng-)luck. Like, I prefer doing such a tedious (but guaranteed) process compared to catching a bunch of mons without even the guarantee for it to succed.
Ultimately it probably comes down to personal preference which is perfectly fine with me.
7 Exeggcutes sounds like a pain. Isn't it pure headbutt-encounter?
4 Slowpoke and 2 Shuckle sounds doable, but requires Surf to get Slowpoke with >15% probability. Since it's not too far after Coin Case (story wise) I don't think it's a problem.

To be honest the whole process sounds like a pain.

I don't know if it's just me, but every Pokemon I have hatched from a egg has worked as a slide Pokemon and I find the Togepi you get especially useful as you can get it before you get to Goldenrod. So personally, I don't see the need for this long process to get the ultimate slide Pokemon. My egg-hatched slide Pokemon work perfectly after many many uses of the coin case.
So I can simply use whichever I like and achieve the same thing? (don't want to dive too deep into gameboy specifics)
Sounds really useful since da has no valid character whereas fa is easily usable with 4.

Thanks for the reply.
If i'm not mistaken, $fa2a is ECHO Ram for $da2a
Wow, thanks for this spamviech. :) Yeah, the slide Pokémon has been a problem for lots of people. Will try it out later.

Was a problem for me as well, so kind of necessary. Also I somewhat enjoyed poking around here a bit.

Another question:
in several codes presented here (i.e. the Celebi code) you change memory at the adress $fa2a, but according to the ram map from data crystal the species is stored at $da2a.
Is there a mismatch, or are the last two bits simply ignored?

I was looking into this aswell coincidently. My conclusion was 3 irons and 7 Exeggcutes.

Thats 280 att xp and 8240 def xp. Or $0118 att and $2030 def. Since the first byte of att doesnt matter that makes jr 20

4 slowpoke and 2 shuckle should also work.
Tried that first as well, but was tired of keeping track of two stats so I just fitted the Def-stat and hoped for the best with Atk.  ;D

7 Exeggcutes sounds like a pain. Isn't it pure headbutt-encounter?
4 Slowpoke and 2 Shuckle sounds doable, but requires Surf to get Slowpoke with >15% probability. Since it's not too far after Coin Case (story wise) I don't think it's a problem.

I tested it and it worked for changing Pokémon 1's DVs all to 15, so it's possible you made a slight mistake somewhere. The x in the code here is the normal lower case one (not the multiplication x) and 0 is zero.

Well I tried again, but it didn't work. Screenshots with the correct box names and the last screenshot is my current party, the Togepi at the top is a clone of the slide Togepi in slot 3 which I performed the glitch on, but it did not max the DVs as you can see they both have 19HP, max DVs would be 20HP for a level 5 Togepi. I also performed the glitch on the Magikarp at the bottom of the party, but nothing. The glitch is only doing what I reported before - making a slight change to the DVs (turning female Pokemon male, so weirdly only affecting the Attack stat slightly, but not maxing them out) I'm using the DV calculator to determine what the max DVs would be.

http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/dv.php
what letters in the box code are the address and the value it changes i want to use it like a memory editor

Have a look at this post from torchickens
To construct the memory adress using Box names use the big hex list (doesn't contain GSC characters) linked Pastebin or sth. similar.

The first party address that the code starts to run is at FA98 (DA98). This is the second byte of the Attack stat experience of Pokémon 3 (the slide Pokémon).

Following this is Defense, Speed, Special stat experience as well as DVs, PPs, happiness, Pokérus, level, status, stats. You can probably predict whether the Pokémon will work by looking at the stats but I don't know the details sadly.
Since most of them are naturally hidden (statXP, happiness, etc.) prediction would be difficult I guess. At least statXP and happiness should be fixed at the start though, but I guess trial and error is good enough for now.

Was tired of trial and error so I constructed a method to create a working slide-Pokémon. You basically get the right amount of stat-Exp to pass the atk-stat and use jr $1F in the Def-stat to jump right to your fourth Pokémon which should be the well-known Quagsire holding TM02 with Return as its first move.

To do this take one newly caught Pokémon and defeat exactly the following Pokémon:
  • 1 Magicarp (use Old Rod anywhere)
  • 7 Geodude (most common Route 46)
  • 10 Sunkern (National Park, day time)
  • Give 2 Iron to your Pokémon
This leaves your Pokémon at 870 ($0366) Atk stat-Exp and 6175 ($181F) Def stat-Exp (rest is skipped).

Starting at the second byte of the Atk stat-Exp this produces the following code:
Code: [Select]
ld h,(hl)
jr $1F
Which then continues at Pokémon 4 to jump to wherever you want.

Hope this helps anyone having trouble catching a working slide Pokémon. This way, as long as you don't defeat any Pokémon afterwards (Exp. Share counts) your Slide-Pokémon will continue working, regardless of Happiness, moves, or anything else.
Disadvantage obviously is the time it takes to set up, but this could in theory be improved (use always-available Pokémon instead of Sunkern, use Pokémon with higher Stat-Exp/Base stats in defence).
You could use 10 Geodude, 1 Magicarp and 2 Irons to achieve the same Def-Stat-Exp (and therefore the same jump), but it would produce a ld (hl), a in the executed Atk-byte so I would advice against it.

I was looking into this aswell coincidently. My conclusion was 3 irons and 7 Exeggcutes.

Thats 280 att xp and 8240 def xp. Or $0118 att and $2030 def. Since the first byte of att doesnt matter that makes jr 20

4 slowpoke and 2 shuckle should also work.
Wow, thanks for this spamviech. :) Yeah, the slide Pokémon has been a problem for lots of people. Will try it out later.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10