Celebi trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitch
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion  (Read 78373 times)

Nostalgia

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion
« Reply #420 on: February 21, 2017, 06:29:26 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5rov2e6PU&t=402s

So this is a very helpful video I've used many times to get Max stat Pokemon on Yellow with Ws M. But I wondered is there anyway to change the attack and defense DV to 13, but keep 15 in the other stats still? A 13 attack and defense DV give a max power Hidden Power Bug in the generation II games so I was just wondering if it's possible to manipulate this to get a specific Hidden Power.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:30:20 am by Nostalgia »

jaybug_jimmies

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • I enjoy glitching as well as pokemon myths
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 16, 2017, 12:16:58 am »
Hi folks
I have always been curious what this site http://hakuda2.web.fc2.com/wario/poke3/f3.html
actually said. All I knew is that it was pointing out the locations of some 0x50 map tiles. A really nice friend offered to translate it. However, they don't know anything about pokemon glitching, so they lack some context. I've been trying to answer their questions, but honestly I'm confused by some things.

Here is a photo of their current attempts at translation:

http://imgur.com/a/8R0JK

The reference to a "summoning call" is mysterious to me. What glitch exploit involving 0x50 map tiles would involve using a "summoning call"? Doesn't sound like traditional Cooltrainer exploit, sounds like something that forces a pokemon encounter? Wait . . . is it LOL glitch maybe? I am not very familiar with that one.

My friend was also confuzzled about something that translated to 'map chips.' and 'mass.' I thought chips was referring to map tiles but it may not be, looking at how the word is being used in the paragraph. I dunno.

Any ideas or insights would be awesome!

EDIT: Aahaaaa Ok I found the section in this site on LOLglitch. This is definitely referring to that glitch. So that particular piece is cleared up at least.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:27:31 am by jaybug_jimmies »

Torchickens

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 16, 2017, 04:48:10 am »
Thanks for sharing this translation jaybug_jimmies!

Yeah, 'map chip' is probably referring to a sub-tile.

In the Japanese versions, there is a simpler glitch than LOL glitch where 0x50 sub-tiles are relevant which allows you to summon a Pokémon battle without having to partially escape from battle.

In the English versions the glitch isn't that useful because the tile controlling D059 in the English versions is a menu tile; which would always result in a battle with Metapod.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:48:46 am by Torchickens »
Hello. I actually identify as gender questioning, but nowadays feel more firmly that I identify as female. My sex is male but I like to express myself as female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Thank you Myri for my avatar! Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

Email Youtube Twitter
Bulbapedia Starfy Wiki

Beyond all philosophies are the things that go best for you; what makes you feel content. It's important to always follow your heart, so unless you feel perfectly happy about it don't just follow something because it is popular, fits a style or is conventional. Sometimes you may reach a point you're not sure who you are, but as things settle I'm convinced things do work out in time.

jaybug_jimmies

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • I enjoy glitching as well as pokemon myths
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 18, 2017, 10:34:58 pm »
Thank you Torchickens for pointing me to the right glitch! This helps enormously. Things make so much more sense now, and my friend is having a much easier time translating. I'll share the results when complete. :)

pikachubros2012

• Anime is real.
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Hack the mainframe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 24, 2017, 12:11:02 pm »
In blue, I tried doing the 'M glitch, I eventually got it, but I got some weird encounters before actually getting Missingno.
Like a level 160 Rattatta
PROFESSOR OAK(!)
And Mewtwo.
By the way.
'M sounds like Zapdos on crack.
 :P

What was your Trainer name?
Incognito Mode > Proxy Server

Parzival

• The Betrayed, The Cleansed, The Reborn
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • It begins.
    • View Profile
    • YT Channel
« Reply #425 on: April 25, 2017, 12:11:24 pm »
Thanks for sharing this translation jaybug_jimmies!

Yeah, 'map chip' is probably referring to a sub-tile.

In the Japanese versions, there is a simpler glitch than LOL glitch where 0x50 sub-tiles are relevant which allows you to summon a Pokémon battle without having to partially escape from battle.

In the English versions the glitch isn't that useful because the tile controlling D059 in the English versions is a menu tile; which would always result in a battle with Metapod.
...so that's why the Hooked Metapod battles are a thing? Huh. Neat.
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about destruction.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.
If you need to talk to someone, my PM inbox is always open.

I'm working with a small team on a few secret projects. I don't know when they'll be released, but when they are, they'll be below.

shatteredClockworks

• ze p2iioniic
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Try pushing the truck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 08, 2017, 06:19:54 am »
Yep, Yellow MissingNo. does exist. It usually freezes the game, though. The picture on GCL's "Under Construction" page is an example of this. Sometimes, however, the freezing doesn't occur and you can catch it, but I have yet to actually capture it because I used my Master Ball on Yellow before I found out about Yellow MissingNo., so I can't multiply my Master Ball... :(
Oh, here's the picture:
I remember a fair amount of time ago I was playing Pokemon red [VC] (Yes this still is a thing in the port) with a newly caught Missingno (Glitch missingno, not fossil or ghost) and I decided to battle an (old) friend of mine. He sends out a Dratini and I send out my Missingno., and when it appeared on the screen for him, it looked exactly like yellow missingno.. And of course, I crashed the s**t out of his game.

good times.
I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear!

Torchickens

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 08, 2017, 08:11:37 am »
Yep, Yellow MissingNo. does exist. It usually freezes the game, though. The picture on GCL's "Under Construction" page is an example of this. Sometimes, however, the freezing doesn't occur and you can catch it, but I have yet to actually capture it because I used my Master Ball on Yellow before I found out about Yellow MissingNo., so I can't multiply my Master Ball... :(
Oh, here's the picture:
I remember a fair amount of time ago I was playing Pokemon red [VC] (Yes this still is a thing in the port) with a newly caught Missingno (Glitch missingno, not fossil or ghost) and I decided to battle an (old) friend of mine. He sends out a Dratini and I send out my Missingno., and when it appeared on the screen for him, it looked exactly like yellow missingno.. And of course, I crashed the s**t out of his game.

good times.

When you battle with Red/Blue against Yellow, the glitch Pokémon that appear are the equivalent glitch Pokémon. All regular Red/Blue MissingNo. are regular Yellow MissingNo. in Yellow as both share the same IDs, so this is not surprising.

Interesting thing to do though now that you mention it, as Red/Blue MissingNo. is a lot easier to obtain than Yellow MissingNo. and if Yellow MissingNo. doesn't freeze (e.g. possibly if it's the first time Yellow has ever seen a glitch Pokémon and the data was erased with Up+Select+B) I wonder what could happen.

Edit: I tried it and unfortunately nothing too unusual happened other than a misaligned player sprite, which is an expected behaviour.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:34:12 am by Torchickens »
Hello. I actually identify as gender questioning, but nowadays feel more firmly that I identify as female. My sex is male but I like to express myself as female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Thank you Myri for my avatar! Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

Email Youtube Twitter
Bulbapedia Starfy Wiki

Beyond all philosophies are the things that go best for you; what makes you feel content. It's important to always follow your heart, so unless you feel perfectly happy about it don't just follow something because it is popular, fits a style or is conventional. Sometimes you may reach a point you're not sure who you are, but as things settle I'm convinced things do work out in time.

Ryccardo

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 13, 2017, 03:46:49 pm »
Has anyone ever explained why battling 'M (and others) causes the infamous "battle graphics are cut into stripes and said stripes flipped and swapped"?

What about permanently making a route laggy/outright crashing if the Trainer-Fly glitch is performed, the game is saved (by changing boxes) and reloaded, then the 2nd trainer is picked from the same route?

Caveat

• The Metropolitan Mutant of Ark
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Wrrrooooooaaaar! Peeko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 13, 2017, 04:58:56 pm »
Has anyone ever explained why battling 'M (and others) causes the infamous "battle graphics are cut into stripes and said stripes flipped and swapped"?

What about permanently making a route laggy/outright crashing if the Trainer-Fly glitch is performed, the game is saved (by changing boxes) and reloaded, then the 2nd trainer is picked from the same route?

1. I believe it's because its sprites are too large. Same reason why it corrupts the Hall of Fame.
2. The glitch occurs because the game advances the map script after the battle, causing it to read invalid flags. This causes it to try and start a battle EVERY. SINGLE. TIME you take a step.
HOLD ME, I'M A PALE MACHINE
LIFE IS JUST OKAY OUT HERE, ANYONE CAN SEE
I'M LONELY, WITH MY PALE MACHINE
EYES WILL RUN WITH TIRED TEARS, LIVING LIKE A DREAM

Japanese Glitchdex
Petscop Thread

Twitter
(warning: contains bad grammar and copious rambling)

ISSOtm

• The French Lord of Laziness (and a huge The Legend Of Zelda fan)
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Pewter City (B)rocks !
    • View Profile
    • My Little Website
« Reply #430 on: July 13, 2017, 05:25:35 pm »

1. I believe it's because its sprites are too large. Same reason why it corrupts the Hall of Fame.
2. The glitch occurs because the game advances the map script after the battle, causing it to read invalid flags. This causes it to try and start a battle EVERY. SINGLE. TIME you take a step.
I can't exactly remember why, but sprites large enough will corrupt a flag that's normally only set by the Pokédex. You see, when looking at an entry in the Pokédex, the sprite is facing the opposing direction as in battle. Thus, the game has to both write the tiles flipped, but also it has to flip the order in which tiles are displayed.
However, battle animations assume this flag is reset, and put the tiles back in the "normal" order - though tiles are still flipped, hence the broken graphics.

The game does try to start a battle on every frame (even worse than every step : try opening your START menu... lol), and this makes it try to display a text box (hence disappearing sprites and, I think, random sounds).
"THOU SHALL NOT PASS !!"  RIVAL's effect, Gandalf.

Proudly glitching Pokémon Red and Yellow on a Black & White GB, Pocket GB, GB Color, GBA SP and new 3DS.

My Twitter (beware, I'm French)
My YouTube (same warning)

Here is an online tool to build 8F setups : GBz80 to Items !

They see me layzin', they ha-tin'...
Heavy contributor of the global augmentation of entropy (my room's is too damn high !)