WELL it's been a long time since I've been here.
I don't know much about what's happened since then, if anything, but I do know one thing, which is that the data which make up the GlitchDex are still the same old data collected (painstakingly) years ago.
This is really a shame, and I feel like it's my fault, because just about 3 and a half years ago I posted
exactly (to the best of my knowledge) how to get the data for learned moves and evolutions of RBY glitch (and nonglitch) pokemon out of the rom itself. This, if done right, should be more accurate and comprehensive than data collected by hand. Despite doing this reverse engineering, though, I never actually implemented the process I described, at least not any more than what I could do manually. But obviously only an automated program could really read through all that data and put it in readable form.I'm attaching files which should list all the learned moves and evolutions of all pokemon, based on my roms of blue and yellow.
- There is a small but respectable discrepancy in the learned moves data based on my output, as compared to the data in the GlitchDex.
As far as I know the GlitchDex data were collected experimentally and so some moves are missing: for example a pokemon won't be asked to learn Tackle if it already knows Tackle. This accounts for many of the discrepancies. Other discrepancies are present. Hey YOU - look for a discrepancy and try it out experimentally in the real game. TEST IT. Experimental evidence always trumps the model.
- Starting moves are not listed in my table. Learned moves and evolutions are stored separately from a pokemon's starting moves and other data. That other data is already well-understood anyway.
- Yes, glitch pokemon have "stone" evolutions too.
I only ever tested one glitch "stone" evolution - in my Pokemon Blue rom with glitch pokemon hex:CF, which evolves into Gengar at or above level 6 using Moon Stone. However, using the moon stone item didn't work, for other reasons I'm sure. The evolve without a stone glitch
did. This is probably true for all glitch evolutions which are supposed to use evolution items. Obviously if the list says a glitch pokemon evolves "by item TM05", using TM05 in-game is not actually going to work. You need to use the pokemon with the corresponding hex in the evolve without a stone glitch.
- I have never tested any of the trade evolutions for glitch pokemon in my list - there is a fair chance they don't work, but you never know.
- The data for glitch pokemon could potentially be different between Red and Blue in some subtle ways (!)
: they're read from areas of the rom that this data isn't supposed to be read from, and so it could contain version-specific data. I'll try to look into it soon, though no guarantees.
- There may be other ways in which the data I generated does not accurately reflect reality. If I haven't mentioned it enough, please, if you're still doing this stuff, test and see if the data are correct.