Celebi Egg trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitches
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
Glitch Pokémon cries
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Poll

Do Hackers Ruin Games?

Yes
4 (33.3%)
No
8 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Do Hackers Ruin Games?  (Read 2959 times)

Missing? NO!

• HOENN CONFIRMED GUYS
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • BOW TO YOUR SENSEI
    • View Profile
    • Satellite Smash
Do Hackers Ruin Games?
« on: October 27, 2013, 01:14:04 am »
Hacking has been around for a while, moreso than ever before. Hackers are everywhere, abundant especially in multiplayer online games, like Call of Duty or Pokemon. Shiny Pokemon and online battling has consistently been flooded with hacked Pokemon, programmed with perfect IVs and egg moves to tank or sweep their way through any team, and hackers in Call of Duty can make themselves have the best weapons available in order to dominate their respective game.

However, hackers can reveal information about the game not previously known. In Diamond and Pearl, hackers were able to tap into the files of the games within the first few days of release and were able to find not only the entire National Dex, but their base stats and egg moves as well. They have been able to "datadump" and simplify all data collection to them.

Do hackers make games better? Or worse?
Talk.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:14:31 am by Missing? NO! »
3DS FC: 3652-0544-4440

EPIC. Sprites by Mutou Yami, PT
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/sigshortened.png/

Zowayix

• Loose cannon mod who lives on the edge and doesn't play by the rules
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Cool story m8
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Re: Do Hackers Ruin Games?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 03:51:19 am »
I have absolutely no issue with hacking/cheating in single-player games or single-player modes of games, sometimes it's even justified (f**k you event Pokemon). When people cheat in multiplayer I guess that's kind of bullshit. But I only ever hear of the former happening and people raging about it anyway as though it personally affects them.

So, in response to the actual poll, my answer is neither yes or no.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:51:51 am by Zowayix »

I DON'T THINK THIS SITE COULD EVER BE WORKSAFE

blahpy

• Yeah! Pomeg Berry!
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:33:32 am »
No, assholes make games worse.  Unfortunately, many hackers such as the ones you mentioned also fall into this category.  I personally don't see the appeal of cheating to win in a multiplayer game.  I even regret the time I borrowed an action replay to cheat rare candies for my Manaphy, even though I tossed the rest, because I feel like I didn't deserve to have it...

Pawny

• ༼ つ ◕‿◕ ༽つ
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm sharp! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 05:43:17 am »
Like you said, there are hackers and hackers... actually, hackers and cheaters. Hacking to understand how the game works more deeply and even decrypting the info to normal civilians like us is an awesome thing. Cheating is also okay imo, as long as they're offline and you don't take any merit of it, instead, using it only for personal fun, time saving (run fast, inta-egg-hatch codes, etc), and other stuff. But there's always assholes who use it to take advantage on online gaming. I've barely played online stuff, but back when I played SA:MP (2006/2007?), I faced some s**t guy with a Minigun that is a forbidden weapon and he blew the s**t out of me. Disgusting.

So yeah, both hacking and cheating have even helped us with our glitch researches, so they're good things when a good use is put on them.
Hug me~!

ドナルド・マクドナルド

• French Fry Overlord
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 11:15:38 am »
Yes, but certain things in the games in the game's coding wasn't necessarily INTENDED to be found. I mean, if the players were ignorant about ev's and iv's in pokemon, then TECHNICALLY it would be more balanced because nobody is exploiting the game's mechanics.

However, knowledge is power, so I guess it's neither ruining OR enhancing the game, because it can do both depending on what game. It just creates a different experience to others is all, whether one person likes it, doesn't mean the others have to. (and thats when you play other games, or stay out of competition.)

So again, depends on what game, and the kind of people playing it.

Bert

• binthiswayforyears
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Hindsight - it's still stinging.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 01:27:17 pm »
My friends and I will use cheat codes and the like all the time when we play vidya gaems. For example, let's say we're playing F-Zero GX. Why should we have limited boost power, when we can instead boost all we want?

Or Super Smash Bros. Melee. I don't want to play as Ganondorf all the time. So, why don't we fire up the debug menu, and play as Master Hand and Giga Bowser 10x their original size and are metal?

There's no real harm in it. The people who ruin games are the fuckheads who are like "NO GUYS NO FUN ALLOWED GOD WHY AM I SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU." If you meet one of those people, kick them in the balls. It's not like they're gonna use them or anything.
"Johnny’s got a gun Johnny’s got some ammo
He lost his firing pin a long time ago
Johnny’s got to push Johnny’s got that stroke
Johnny lost it all and now nobody knows
Ain’t it funny how he walks through everything
Ain’t it funny how he listens to everything
Well he’s got the gears well he’s lost the fear
Well he’s done the years so near and dear
Well he’s learned the ropes learned to cope
Lost the hope so near and dear
Well he’s got it all learned to fall
Dropped the ball so near and dear"
-Headstones, 'Firing Pin'

The Story of Glitchy, the 4. . | Meganium Man! | MEGANIUM ADVENTURES! (MSPA)

Photon-Phoenix

• Gotta pop dem windows.
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 01:47:53 pm »
It really all depends on what's being done when it comes to multiplayer and online multiplayer.  I know some stories where people would screw with everyone's physics, clip them into the bottom of the map for a shootout, and/or give them unobtainable OP guns, and then let them just have at it.  Case in point is Mario Kart DS multiplayer, ALL courses work fine (except Pipe Plaza) in Wi-Fi mode except you can only choose HALF the courses normally.  There's some AR codes which allow you to pick all the race courses including some beta/glitch courses.  However, there's also the people that use AR codes to instantly win a race, spam blue shells, etc. etc.  so I just make the map vote for Pipe Plaza and then they go "it's pipe plaza I'm gonna use the pipes!" and then when they try to they fall through the pipes and crash their game and then the rest of the people still playing can enjoy the rest of the races (or just crash their games by going through the pipes because they don't know any better).

Also, Missing? NO! your definition of hacking is intermingling with just plain gameshark(ish) cheat codes/cheat methods such as lag switches, etc. etc.  Most "hackers" in online games haven't even touched the interworkings of their game more than they have downloading a cheat/hack pack.  I stress most here as SOME of them actually do do the hard work (which ends up being used by other people).

Raven Freak

• Sonic 2 SMS Haxor
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Haxor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 11:16:15 am »
There is a difference between a hacker and a cheater. I'm a hacker, I love to look inside the game's code and see how things work. I build upon the game, either adding new features to make it completely different or maybe just to fix a couple of bugs the original game had. A cheater is pretty much what was brought up in the first post, they use game enhancing devices and use them against other players so they can win which is complete and utter crap. So the question "Do Hackers Ruin Games?", no hackers don't ruin games. Cheaters ruin games for people. :P