Celebi Egg trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitches
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
Glitch Pokémon cries
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Greetings GCL people  (Read 1207 times)

Alaistar

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Greetings GCL people
« on: August 10, 2015, 07:40:25 am »
Hi everyone, I’m new here and this is my first post! :3
I am a Pokémon aficionado (especially I and II generation games) and a complete glitcher noob. I’m quite ignorant about the subject but I really like it and I’d like to know more. Of course I already read many Glitch City Laboratories’ posts (you guys are great!) and watched as many Youtube videos. I have a question: how did you start doing glitches? I mean.. do I need any sort of knowledge about something like rom programming, assembly.. ? Do you know any sources I can consult that gives me the tools in order to do researches on my own?

danny

• Decamark Collector and Pokémaniac
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • i hate being alive
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings GCL people
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 01:58:56 pm »
Hello. Welcome to the forum !  :P
i ain't happy, i'm feeling glad
i got sunshine, in a bag
i'm useless, but not for long
my future is coming on

Evie ✿

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:12:30 am »
Hey Alaistar, welcome to the forums!

There are a lot of glitches in the Pokémon games that you can already try out, such as the old man trick, Trainer-Fly glitch and "CoolTrainer" type move corruption, that might be nice for you to experiment with. My approach is when you try a completely new glitch is to follow the steps carefully. Then once you have done the glitch a few times, it will become more natural to exploit.

You do not need to have much knowledge of programming or the game's inner workings to do your own research. By doing glitches a little differently, you can discover things for yourself (such as returning to the route you escape from with a Trainer-Fly immediately to avoid battles on that route).

The big list is a valuable so you can know what characters in your name will give which Pokémon for the old man trick, or what Special stats for the Trainer-Fly glitch give which Pokémon, etc.

One useful thing if you are playing on an emulator is to refer to or learn Pokémon Red and Blue's memory structure (not everything is on this link, but you can find more on the GameShark code archives on this site by reversing the order of the last two bytes pairs in a code, e.g. 01xxD8CF edits CFD8), for example, if you don't have all badges to be able to Fly and can't access all fly locations, you can set D356 to FF (every badge) and D70B, D70C (fly locations) to FF FF too.

You can have fun with memory editing through a memory editor such as VBA or the BGB debugger. You can also do something like edit D31E to obtain a glitch item easily and see what it does without having to obtain one with TheZZAZZGlitch's looping map trick. Note that memory addresses are generally -1 in Yellow (so Yellow's item 1 is D31D), with the exception of certain ones like CD38 (lets you walk through walls when a non 00 value).

With glitches that corrupt the memory, such as Super Glitch/CoolTrainer, you can also observe what values areas of the memory get corrupted too. For instance, CoolTrainer corruption has proved most useful for corruption of the species of the opponent in battle (CFD8); hence, you could view that to see what Pokémon got corrupted beforehand, or if the game corrupted data that far, you could view CFF1 to see what the foe's DVs became, etc.

These save files should also come in handy if you're using an emulator.

Good luck and have fun.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:15:00 am by Torchickens »
Hi! I identify as transgender female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

Email Youtube Twitter
Bulbapedia Starfy Wiki

I like to collect interesting video games.
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

The psychology of birth (including spiritual birth): pain>acceptance/courage in face of pain>embracement>unconditional love and strength

Beyond all philosophies are the things that go best for you; what makes you feel content. It's important to always follow your heart, so unless you feel perfectly happy about it don't just follow something because it is popular, fits a style or is conventional. Sometimes you may reach a point you're not sure who you are, but as things settle I'm convinced things do work out in time.

SCf3

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 06:30:10 pm »
Welcome to the forums Alaistar! :D
Posts:  1,023 (1.746 per day) Date Registered:  May 08, 2006, 02:54:50 am

Alaistar

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 12:13:14 pm »
Thanks, everyone! :3
Torchickens, I'll start with the stuff you gave me. Thanks for your help!
You guys (and girl) are so inspiring.. keep it up! ;D

Evie ✿

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 12:26:05 pm »
Thanks, everyone! :3
Torchickens, I'll start with the stuff you gave me. Thanks for your help!
You guys (and girl) are so inspiring.. keep it up! ;D

You're welcome!

Thanks for the kind words.
Hi! I identify as transgender female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

Email Youtube Twitter
Bulbapedia Starfy Wiki

I like to collect interesting video games.
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

The psychology of birth (including spiritual birth): pain>acceptance/courage in face of pain>embracement>unconditional love and strength

Beyond all philosophies are the things that go best for you; what makes you feel content. It's important to always follow your heart, so unless you feel perfectly happy about it don't just follow something because it is popular, fits a style or is conventional. Sometimes you may reach a point you're not sure who you are, but as things settle I'm convinced things do work out in time.