Celebi Egg trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitches
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
Glitch Pokémon cries
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Emerald Teach move Glitch  (Read 1660 times)

amoeba

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
Emerald Teach move Glitch
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:19:25 pm »
First time posting so go easy on me if I do something dumb. I'm an emerald speedrunner, and was recently doing some glitched runs when I accidentally activated this glitch. Managed to recreate it and make a video of it . Not sure if this has been discovered before, but I was told I should post it here, in case someone knows about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RX2wRVnZOk&feature=youtu.be

Wack0

• Coder, reverser, beta collector [BetaArchive staff]
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • cBRH - Doing nothing since 2k7
    • View Profile
Re: Emerald Teach move Glitch
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 03:05:22 pm »
Learning a move within the evolution cutscene is intended behaviour. You can see it also when you evolve Combusken into Blaziken at level 36.

EDIT: serves me right for being too lazy to watch the video all the way through :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:45:04 pm by Wack0 »
C H E C K E D . B U I L D S . A R E . A W E S O M E N E S S

BetaArchiveSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #galaxy,#softhistory

Also known as The Distractor.

Shane, please stop telling children that there's a Mew outside under the delivery trucks. - Management

Pokémon: arbitrary code execution 1996-2016

Háčky

• Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Pick which packet as an error?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 05:29:11 pm »
There’s no possibility of breaking the game through the move-learning dialogue tree, since the game only keeps track of which question it’s currently asking, and not all of the options you’ve selected to get there.

The evolution cutscene includes its own implementation of the move-learning procedure, separate from the one used for level-up, TM/HM, and Move Tutor moves. It looks like the code that runs during the “Delete a move to make room for…?” question in the evolution cutscene is a bit sloppy:

• If Down is pressed, and the cursor is on “Yes”, play the button sound effect and move the cursor to “No”
  • If Up is pressed, and the cursor is on “No”, play the sound effect and move the cursor to “Yes”
  • If A is pressed, play the sound effect, and:
    • If the cursor is on “No”, change the question to “Stop learning…?”.
    • Otherwise (the cursor is on “Yes”), change the question to the move selection, and fade to black.
  • If B is pressed, play the sound effect, and change the question to “Stop learning…?”.
These are separate “if” statements for each button, rather than an “if-else” chain, so when these buttons are simultaneously pressed, each of these things will happen in sequence; if both A and B are pressed while the cursor is on “Yes”, it will set the move selection as the next question, fade to black, and then change the question to “Stop learning…?” This all happens before the next question is loaded, so the move selection menu never appears and the “Stop learning…?” text is rendered into a black screen.

Oddly, when I tried this glitch in the no$gba emulator, the red cursor for the Yes/No options was still visible on what was otherwise a black screen.

amoeba

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 09:47:58 am »
Yeah Wack0 I knew that one, the reason I found this was because we always get Mud Shot on the Mudkip evo at lvl16 in speedruns.

And thanks Hacky, my knowledge of the coding/whatever of the games isn't great. Good to know that there's nothing more interesting that can be done with this, if a little disappointing. Nice that I pretty much knew what was happening too.

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 11:53:12 am »
Welcome to the forums amoeba! Nice to see another speedrunner :D (we have a few here or people experienced in the field who have made posts like werster, luckytyphlosion, MrWint, Dabomstew).

First time posting so go easy on me if I do something dumb

No, you didn't do anything wrong. Your post was informative and you shared a new glitch that didn't seem to be documented before. :)

I have got the glitch to work in Ruby, Japanese Ruby and FireRed as well.

Here is a video that includes the glitch in Ruby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIooN4DX3TU

Oddly, when I tried this glitch in the no$gba emulator, the red cursor for the Yes/No options was still visible on what was otherwise a black screen.

Interesting.

When I tried the glitch in English Ruby in the VBA emulator, the red box that normally surrounds "YES" or "NO" was still visible. The box did not appear in Japanese Ruby, FireRed or Emerald (which apparently do not have it).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:54:42 am by Torchickens »
Hi! I identify as female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChickasaurusGL

I like to collect interesting video games. ^_^
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

Give love, receive love, repeat. But in order to love others you must first love yourself unconditionally, even if it means abandoning pressure from projects or taking time off work and empathise with the self as you are your own best friend. The key often is simply to follow your heart, your urges and have faith they are valid; use them to do what you want to do as long as it doesn't harm anyone, and/or sympathise and respect it as we all have bad days (even the prettiest rose has thorns but is still beautiful).

SatoMew

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:31:38 am »
When I tried the glitch in English Ruby in the VBA emulator, the red box that normally surrounds "YES" or "NO" was still visible. The box did not appear in Japanese Ruby, FireRed or Emerald (which apparently do not have it).

The red focus rectangle is only used by the Western Ruby and Sapphire due to the large font. Japanese Ruby and Sapphire and all versions of FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald use a black focus arrow.

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 02:36:57 pm »

The red focus rectangle is only used by the Western Ruby and Sapphire due to the large font. Japanese Ruby and Sapphire and all versions of FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald use a black focus arrow.

Thanks for the info!
Hi! I identify as female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChickasaurusGL

I like to collect interesting video games. ^_^
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

Give love, receive love, repeat. But in order to love others you must first love yourself unconditionally, even if it means abandoning pressure from projects or taking time off work and empathise with the self as you are your own best friend. The key often is simply to follow your heart, your urges and have faith they are valid; use them to do what you want to do as long as it doesn't harm anyone, and/or sympathise and respect it as we all have bad days (even the prettiest rose has thorns but is still beautiful).

SatoMew

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 02:57:11 pm »