Celebi Egg trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitches
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
Glitch Pokémon cries
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Trading with Korean games  (Read 558 times)

SnorlaxMonster

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Probably on Bulbapedia
    • View Profile
Trading with Korean games
« on: July 10, 2017, 12:17:53 am »
It's my understanding that there are compatibility issues between Korean and non-Korean games in Generation IV due to the non-Korean games not including Hangul. However, I'm not completely sure of how they are incompatible, so I was hoping someone who does know the specifics could help out here.

According to Háčky in this thread, Korean games can migrate Pokémon from any language of Generation III game. This means it is possible to get non-Korean Pokémon (with non-Hangul name and OT) on a Korean game without trading. Korean text entry does allow using only non-Hangul characters anyway, however.

According the UPC, Pokémon that are Korean in origin cannot be traded from a Korean game to a non-Korean game in the Union Room. The sentence about the Classic Ribbon seems to imply that other methods of trading (GTS and Wi-Fi Club) are not prevented from trading Korean Pokémon under these circumstances (although they are no longer available, unfortunately, but there are fan-made workarounds to allow them). Additionally, the wording implies that Korean and non-Korean games can communicate in the Union Room, but Korean language Pokémon cannot be traded to the non-Korean game (so they could still battle, chat, etc. in the Union Room, which should result in the Korean player's name not displaying properly).

Additionally, I've seen several sources describe what happens to Pokémon with Hangul names/OTs in non-Korean games. According to  Bulbapedia, Hangul names/OTs are displayed as blank spaces in DP, whereas in PtHGSS they show up as dashes. However, other sources (UPC, this GameFAQs user) state that they are rendered as question marks in PtHGSS.

In Generation VI onward (at least), Eggs traded from games of different languages display the name of "Egg" in the Egg's language of origin (for example, I have an Egg named "Œuf" in my English Y; it remains French in origin when hatched, but I can nickname it). I'm not sure whether this occurs in previous generations. If it does, you might be able to send Korean Eggs to a non-Korean Gen IV game using Spin Trade.

So, my main questions are:
  • In what way are Korean and non-Korean Generation IV games incompatible? Which communication features can and can't they use (of all kinds, not just trading)?
  • If a Pokémon that legitimately has a Hangul name/OT is (legitimately) traded to a non-Korean Generation IV game, how is it displayed?
  • In which games did "Egg" start displaying as the Egg's language of origin? Does this go all the way back to Gen II?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:22:45 am by SnorlaxMonster »

likebeingawesome

• The game reset master
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • DARN IT I RESET MY GAME
    • View Profile
Re: Trading with Korean games
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 06:52:43 am »
Whats Hangul
I need to double check codes before I use them

Flandre Scarlet

• Mistress of Scarlet Devil Mansion
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Role playing as my favorite character is fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:32:12 am »
Whats Hangul
Hangul is the name for the Korean alphabet so a pokemon with a non-Hangul name would be a pokemon with a name in any non-Korean language.
I am a fan of Pokemon, Glitches, Touhou, Yugioh, Smash, Mario, Sonic, Kirby, (2D) Metroid, and MORE!

Ryccardo

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:48:49 pm »
The Korean version can't be connected locally with the Italian ones, for one...
http://imgur.com/a/yoZ2p

---
After cheating to have the league marked as beat and a full Pokedex (The men blocking Pal Park disappeared, and I think I can select "go recatch the ones I transferred"), doesn't seem to be enough to have Leafgreen (I) detected!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 04:23:54 pm by Ryccardo »