Celebi trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitch
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Generation IV and V Trade Cloning (without GTS)  (Read 2141 times)

Krys3000

• The frenchie
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Head admin of the PRAMA Initiative
    • View Profile
    • PRAMA Initiative - Main french pokemon glitch website
Generation IV and V Trade Cloning (without GTS)
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:08:27 am »
Hello everyone,

I haven't seen any thread discussing trade cloning in Generation IV. I guess the reason why this method was never really investigated was that GTS Cloning is easier and can be done with one game only.

Unfortunately GTS service on Nintendo DS is now close. Therefore I have been working on that cloning method for my website, and will publish it soon (I'd like to try in Generation V also). So for those of you still playing Gen IV, here is my work on this :

If you don't know trade cloning, it's the method used to clone in Gen I and VI, and involves two games on two consoles, and interrupting the trade process between the two by shutting down one of the console. I tried every timing and every way to do this and I can say these are the most successful parameters I know :

• DS 1 should have the pokemon you want to clone ("A") at first position. DS 2 should have the pokemon that will be erased ("B") at first position.
  • Enter the Union Club (not sure that's how it is called in english ; it's on the second floor of the pokemon center and involves IR communication, not Wi-fi). DS 2 should start the trade.
  • Allow the trade to run until you have the "communication" text at the end of the trade animation. Note the clock which performs around 4 turns, each turn can be separated in 8.
  • Shut down DS 1 at 3 turns + 3/8th. DS 2 should display an error. Press A and see that pokemon A should now be on this game, just as a normal trade. Please note a normal human should press the button when he sees the clock at 3+2/8th, because of the reaction time. Otherwise you will probably miss it.
  • Start the other game in DS 2. After the title screen it should also display an error. If not, then it didn't work. I have no idea why it happens sometimes only.
  • In the party of the game in DS 1 you should still have Pokemon A. This does not work everytime. Even if you had the error message, it might not have worked. In this case the only thing to do is retry.

Here are important observations you need to read, and I'm still working on this so any contribution will be a good thing :

• It never worked for me at first try. Moreover, if I do this glitch and have the communication error on DS1 (whether it worked or not), then I exit both union rooms, save, and reset the games so that I don't have the error again, it never works. I am not sure whether this is a real thing or just an extraordinary coincidence. But there is an obvious difference in the saving process when the previous trade was interrupted as the post-animation communication is longer (and this is common in pokemon games, as for exemple interrupting the saving process while you send a pokemon to the pokewalker in HG/SS will cause the next sending process to be two times longer). This should be investigated.
  • I never managed to clone when DS 1 started the trade. But I haven't tried much, so this might not be a necessity.
  • When I tried to clone the pokemons that were not in the first position in the party, it never displayed the communication error and all trades were successful without cloning. I have not, at this time, tried to put Pokemon A at first position but Pokemon B in another position.
  • I am quite sure of having successfully cloned a pokemon while shutting down DS 1 at 3 turns+1/8th so it might not be important to be that accurate. But 3+3/8th is the most successful moment I experienced so far.
  • I am playing a french version. I have no idea how this works in other localisations.
  • So far I have not tried in Platinum or HG/SS versions.

Have you ever done this glitch ? If you have any useful informations for me, I'll take them gladly. Otherwise, if you are interessed, I invite you to test this and see what you get  ;)

Edit : trade cloning works in Gen V, see below
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:04:16 pm by Krys3000 »

Pawny

• ༼ つ ◕‿◕ ༽つ
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm sharp! :3
    • View Profile
Re: Generation IV Trade Cloning (without GTS)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:26:30 am »
Hmm, so it's pretty much the same thing as Gen 6. Bulbapedia says it's common to corrupt save data, but that sounds like speculation. I've cloned hundreds of pokémon in Y with this trade method and it is safe. I'm pretty sure it works on Gen 5, but it was barely researched at all since DNS abuse was already a thing. Thanks for doing this. :)
Hug me~!

Krys3000

• The frenchie
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Generation IV Trade Cloning (without GTS)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 11:43:41 am »
Well within the week I must have done 50-60 trys, and I lost no save file so I really thing that corruption thing is very unlikely and yes most probably an incorrect assumption.

Or I was incredibly lucky !

Krys3000

• The frenchie
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Generation IV and V Trade Cloning (without GTS)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:11:49 pm »
Aaaand I just cloned a Reshiram using a Black & White version. The timing seems to be half a turn. Sometimes it seems the clock starts "before" 0 turn. Since I only cloned once so far, I don't know how important it is. I need to further investigate on this but I just wanted to report that it works.

Pawny

• ༼ つ ◕‿◕ ༽つ
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm sharp! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 01:19:23 pm »
Aaaand I just cloned a Reshiram using a Black & White version. The timing seems to be half a turn. Sometimes it seems the clock starts "before" 0 turn. Since I only cloned once so far, I don't know how important it is. I need to further investigate on this but I just wanted to report that it works.

Nice! So is Gen 3 really the only gen without any sort of trade-interruption cloning? That's impressive.
Hug me~!

Krys3000

• The frenchie
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 02:31:38 pm »
It has been very easy to clone in Emerald using the battle frontier, I don't think it was further investigated if we can trade-clone. In my free time, I will try to do it :)

Krys3000

• The frenchie
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 04:39:41 am »
Timing for Gen V games appear to be "right after the end of the trade animation, at the beginning of the Communication text".

This is very short, and very hard to do. Here is how the game behave :

- You want to clone the pokemon on game 1. Start the trade with game 1, shut down game 1.

- Too early (shutting down during the animation) : game 2 will display a communication error. Press A to be back in the union room, but you will still have pokemon 2. Game 1 will start in front of the union room entrance, and still have pokemon 1.
- Too late (until 2-3/8th of the Communication clock) : game 2 will display a communication error AND ask you to shut down the game. When restarted, you will either be in front of the union room entrance, or see the player exiting it. He will always have pokemon 1. Game 1 will either start in front of the union room entrance, or you will see the player exiting it. He will always have pokemon 2.
- Very late (after 3/8th) :  game 2 will display a communication error. Press A to be back in the union room, and you will have pokemon 1. Game 1 will start in front of the union room entrance, and now have pokemon 2.

- Correct timing (between the first two) : game 2 will display a communication error. Press A to be back in the union room, and you will have pokemon 1. Game 1 will start in front of the union room entrance, and now have a clone of pokemon 1. This is the only configuration that works.

Yeah, I succeeded twice in 30-40 trys. It sucks it's so hard but if you really need to clone you super-rare event pokemons, you will be patient enough  :P

I'm still trying to do it in B2/W2 and also the gen IV method for Platinum/HG/SS, although I'm sure it will work.

Krys3000

• The frenchie
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 03:05:32 pm »
BTW, some dude made a video for Gen IV trade cloning :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrXXjtzz5UA&t=11m

Language is french but you will understand. Successful try is around 11:00.

I will try to make one for Gen V