Celebi trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitch
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Search Wiki

Author Topic: are there glitch hunting “official” sources?  (Read 632 times)

rinlingyo2016

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • i find this stuff fascinating
    • View Profile
are there glitch hunting “official” sources?
« on: August 19, 2016, 07:57:41 am »
Hello everyone! A friend and I are working on a Red/Blue Glitch Pokemon panel that we plan to host at a local anime convention.

I would like to ask: have we ever (as far as we've known) had a developer who works for (or used to work for) Nintendo/Game Freak who has ever given us insight behind-the-scenes into Pokemon glitches? It seems like glitch hunting is primarily fans experimenting, discovering, and theorizing, so I was wondering if there were any “official” sources other than Nintendo's official statement about Missingno on their troubleshooting website http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/gameboy/trouble_specificgame.jsp#missingno

Thanks for your input!

Yeniaul

Re: are there glitch hunting “official” sources?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 08:06:24 am »
Nintendo's full of s**t. Anything they say will probably be false and designed to ward you away from said glitch, like they did with MissingNO. They later said the statement about MissingNO. was so people would not seek it out and take advantage of the mistakes they made.

Krys3000

• The frenchie
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Head admin of the PRAMA Initiative
    • View Profile
    • PRAMA Initiative - Main french pokemon glitch website
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 08:41:19 am »
Nintendo communicated in two occasions about the series' glitches.

- First, to say that the 'Fight Safari Zone Pokémon glitch' (hence talking about the Old Man Glitch; technically being the same glitch so it's not incorrect, but imprecise) could cause the apparition of the 'MissingNo Pokémon' (sic) which could 'scramble your graphics' (which is true) an effect that 'could be fixed by releasing it' (which is false) but if not will require 'resetting the game' (which is absolutely stupid). It is suspected that this warning was an attempt at preventing players to perform glitches by threatening them with save destruction.

- Then, to acknowledge the existence of the japanese-only 'surf glitch' and 'broken elevator glitch' in Gen IV, and to propose a fix. As far as I know, they never mentioned the fact that the first of these two glitches allows the player to catch Shaymin and Darkrai, similarly to the more recent Tweaking Trick.

Outside from these occasions, Nintendo and Game Freak seem to totally ignore glitchology, and never communicate nor answer about this. They didn't even fixed anything in VC ports.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:33:37 am by Krys3000 »

Háčky

• Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Pick which packet as an error?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 10:37:27 am »
They also acknowledged and fixed the Berry glitch in Ruby and Sapphire, and the Lumiose City save glitch in X and Y.

rinlingyo2016

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 10:55:39 am »
Thanks for your comments! I can see Nintendo as a company discouraging/ignoring glitches. What about individuals, though? I can imagine, for example, a programmer who used to work for Nintendo joining the glitching community, especially because he would have insight into how the game was made. Do we know if we've ever had an “insider” join in glitch hunting?

ravioli

• lonely shift jscii posting nerd
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • 2chan translator pro
    • View Profile
    • txtchan
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 11:27:09 am »
Thanks for your comments! I can see Nintendo as a company discouraging/ignoring glitches. What about individuals, though? I can imagine, for example, a programmer who used to work for Nintendo joining the glitching community, especially because he would have insight into how the game was made. Do we know if we've ever had an “insider” join in glitch hunting?

No. But some more neat information:

When Shigeru Miyamoto was confronted by a fan saying that there were 190 original Pokemon planned, ((by seeing there were 190 spots in the index list)), he lit up and seemed excited. So it seems that some of the original game dev's might encourage this kind of behaviour now that the meta for those games are long gone and the age of Gen 1-5 are gone.
im the trash man im here to pick up your garbage and take it to the dump

Yeniaul

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 12:34:04 pm »
It is suspected that this warning was an attempt at preventing players to perform glitches by threatening them with save destruction.
Like I said, Nintendo's full of s**t.

Krys3000

• The frenchie
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Head admin of the PRAMA Initiative
    • View Profile
    • PRAMA Initiative - Main french pokemon glitch website
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 07:33:09 am »
They also acknowledged and fixed the Berry glitch in Ruby and Sapphire, and the Lumiose City save glitch in X and Y.

Yep, I forgot about those. I was more thinking of 'exploitable' glitches :P

No. But some more neat information:

When Shigeru Miyamoto was confronted by a fan saying that there were 190 original Pokemon planned, ((by seeing there were 190 spots in the index list)), he lit up and seemed excited. So it seems that some of the original game dev's might encourage this kind of behaviour now that the meta for those games are long gone and the age of Gen 1-5 are gone.

I wasn't aware of the excitement thing but now that you mention it, I remember that someone acknowledge the fact that 190 Pokémon were planned in the beginning. It might be the same story :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:35:54 am by Krys3000 »

rinlingyo2016

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 06:14:36 pm »
I love the story about the 190 Pokemon! (I first read about it on Smogon http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/there-were-190-pok%C3%A9mon.78267/) If there are no “insiders” that participate in the glitch community, I suppose interviews like these (assuming we can get past the language barrier) are the next best thing.