Celebi Egg trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitches
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
Glitch Pokémon cries
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: GlitchDex: International glitch Pokémon?  (Read 1100 times)

Wack0

• Coder, reverser, beta collector [BetaArchive staff]
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • cBRH - Doing nothing since 2k7
    • View Profile
GlitchDex: International glitch Pokémon?
« on: September 01, 2017, 04:21:36 pm »
Has anyone given any thought to how international glitch Pokémon would be documented on the wiki?

The obvious candidates here would obviously be invalid Pokémon in RG/B/Y JP, but there are differences in invalid Pokémon in non-English European versions too, one of which being index 0 of Spanish Red/Blue, which among a number of differences to its more well-known English-version counterpart, learns a number of moves by leveling up.

I'm sure our friends at PRAMA could help with the French side. On that note, perhaps there are other Pokémon glitch research websites focusing on the other non-English European languages who may be willing to affiliate with us?

Another thing to consider, albeit slightly offtopic: I remember reading somewhere that all non-Japanese Generation I games are link-compatible. If this is indeed true, it could expand the number of invalid Pokémon obtainable via Trainer-Fly and equivalent trade, for all non-Japanese games.
C H E C K E D . B U I L D S . A R E . A W E S O M E N E S S

BetaArchiveSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #galaxy,#softhistory

Also known as The Distractor.

Shane, please stop telling children that there's a Mew outside under the delivery trucks. - Management

Pokémon: arbitrary code execution 1996-2016

Parzival

• DO NOT TOUCH SPAGOOT
  • GCLF Member
  • Online Online
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    • View Profile
Re: GlitchDex: International glitch Pokémon?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 07:10:03 pm »
Has anyone given any thought to how international glitch Pokémon would be documented on the wiki?
Format-wise? Just add an extra column for language/version, or have the "GlitchDex" link go to a disamb with the different languages/versions on it.
Otherwise, document them like the rest.
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about destruction.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.
If you need to talk to someone, my PM inbox is always open.

Krys3000

• The frenchie
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Head admin of the PRAMA Initiative
    • View Profile
    • PRAMA Initiative - Main french Pokémon glitch website
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 02:42:37 am »
Hell yes, glitch Pokémon are very different in French games.

Making a French glitchdex is something that we want to for years, but it never was the top priority at the moment. Yes sure we can help for such a project :)

Admin of the PRAMA Initiative, the main french Pokémon glitch website
http://www.prama-initiative.com
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 05:32:54 am »

The obvious candidates here would obviously be invalid Pokémon in RG/B/Y JP, but there are differences in invalid Pokémon in non-English European versions too, one of which being index 0 of Spanish Red/Blue, which among a number of differences to its more well-known English-version counterpart, learns a number of moves by leveling up.

I'm sure our friends at PRAMA could help with the French side. On that note, perhaps there are other Pokémon glitch research websites focusing on the other non-English European languages who may be willing to affiliate with us?

I think we could document these much like the same as the English articles, but the GlitchDex article could be have a language code in the title like this: GlitchDexDE, GlitchDexFR, GlitchDexES, GlitchDexIT, GlitchDexJP and GlitchDexKO, so GlitchDexJP/RG:000 would be the article for Japanese Red/Green No. 000, and so on.

I feel it would be good to list the moves these glitch Pokémon learn in both English and the source game's language, that way people who don't understand English could refer to them.

After all the English Dex projects are finished I'm interested in creating articles for international MissingNo. data, the different アネ゛デパミ/RGBY hex:FF glitch Pokémon, the RGBY hex:00 glitch Pokémon and international Generation II glitch Pokémon because I feel these ought to have recognition.

I'd love to work on relatively complete GlitchDexes for each language, but because it's very time consuming its an ambitious thing to do alone that needs a lot of dedication. However if anyone wants to work on a GlitchDex in another language with the new formatting it would be amazing and I'd appreciate it tons, even if some of the data is incomplete.

At the moment after the English Dexes are done I want to focus on updating the wiki so it covers the contents of all of TheZZAZZGlitch, Crystal_'s, Metarkrai, hibiki ganaha's and my own videos, because our coverage of glitch techniques on the wiki is inexhaustive (from what is known and what we have gathered) and it'd be nice to only have to worry about adding new discoveries as they come.

Another thing to consider, albeit slightly offtopic: I remember reading somewhere that all non-Japanese Generation I games are link-compatible. If this is indeed true, it could expand the number of invalid Pokémon obtainable via Trainer-Fly and equivalent trade, for all non-Japanese games.

That's cool, I didn't know that thanks Wack0! It looks like that's quite possible then. :) I know for sure not all of the glitch Pokémon 190-199 that freeze the game on the English version freeze the game on another version. The German version of Red/Blue also has Ä, Ö, Ü, ä, ö, ü characters available from the new name menu which can be used to encounter glitch Pokémon 192-197.

ö ゥ (C1), the equivalent of the English version's normally freezing ゥ (C1) in the German version is available from Ö. äPOKé (hex:C4) the equivalent of POKéWTRAINER is available from ö and it also does not freeze the game. The equivalent of ♀pゥ ゥゥT (hex:C7) named ♀pゥîゥîゥY (hex:C7) in the German version found with Special stat 199 also doesn't always freeze the game.

Hell yes, glitch Pokémon are very different in French games.

Making a French glitchdex is something that we want to for years, but it never was the top priority at the moment. Yes sure we can help for such a project :)

Thank you Krys! ^^
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 05:37:36 am by Torchickens »
Hi! I identify as female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChickasaurusGL

I like to collect interesting video games. ^_^
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

Give love, receive love, repeat. But in order to love others you must first love yourself unconditionally, even if it means abandoning pressure from projects or taking time off work and empathise with the self as you are your own best friend. The key often is simply to follow your heart, your urges and have faith they are valid; use them to do what you want to do as long as it doesn't harm anyone, and/or sympathise and respect it as we all have bad days (even the prettiest rose has thorns but is still beautiful).

Wack0

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 07:53:56 am »
Regarding the new page layout, it seems that a script could be created that could automatically fill in most of that information, a la the original Melchior project?

The script could output wiki markup and mark the pages as stubs, allowing for someone else to come in and finish the final parts.

Bonus points if it could create a Pokédex screenshot too, which is theoretically possible.

Shane, please stop telling children that there's a Mew outside under the delivery trucks. - Management

Wack0

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 11:05:43 am »
Double posting here, as I just realised that if all non-Japanese Generation I games really are link compatible, it means that the trade linkup derivative of the left-facing shore tile trick could be used to encounter 192-197 on non-German games (as far as i can tell, using the walk-through-walls ledge trick first in Italian and Spanish versions, making sure to visit the Cinnabar Island Pokémon Center beforehand).

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 12:14:27 pm »
Double posting here, as I just realised that if all non-Japanese Generation I games really are link compatible, it means that the trade linkup derivative of the left-facing shore tile trick could be used to encounter 192-197 on non-German games (as far as i can tell, using the walk-through-walls ledge trick first in Italian and Spanish versions, making sure to visit the Cinnabar Island Pokémon Center beforehand).

Ah, of course! I didn't think of that. Thanks Wack0.

Yeah in the French, German versions the old man trick wasn't fixed at all but in the Spanish and Italian versions you must use a walk through walls glitch to avoid Tentacool encounters, as you say.  Although the French, German and Italian versions gave encounters from the player's name I wasn't able to get them in the Spanish version; only Pidgey/Rattata from the previous rate which was odd because D88C (encounter table) contained values from the player's name.

I don't know whether I was just extremely unlucky but with so many tries I wonder whether something else is going on there or even whether there's a bug with Spanish version encounter tables (where on Route 1 the beginning bytes are 19 03 24 03 A5 03 which are expected Pokémon on that route).

Regarding the new page layout, it seems that a script could be created that could automatically fill in most of that information, a la the original Melchior project?

The script could output wiki markup and mark the pages as stubs, allowing for someone else to come in and finish the final parts.

Bonus points if it could create a Pokédex screenshot too, which is theoretically possible.

That sounds like good idea. Also we could use a more elaborate template that already has the headers like starting move, methods to obtain, evolutions, base stats. Basically one massive template where all you need to input are the variables.

In theory a bot could just take them from a database (which possibly exists on an old version of Glitch City as the Melchior data) and create the pages automatically like what was done before but this time in proper wiki format, although it would take work to put the theory into practise and also program the bot.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:42:38 pm by Torchickens »

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

Give love, receive love, repeat. But in order to love others you must first love yourself unconditionally, even if it means abandoning pressure from projects or taking time off work and empathise with the self as you are your own best friend. The key often is simply to follow your heart, your urges and have faith they are valid; use them to do what you want to do as long as it doesn't harm anyone, and/or sympathise and respect it as we all have bad days (even the prettiest rose has thorns but is still beautiful).

Wack0

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 12:30:32 pm »
I don't know whether I was just extremely unlucky but with so many tries I wonder whether something else is going on there or even whether there's a bug with Spanish version encounter tables (where on Route 1 the beginning bytes are 19 03 24 03 A5 03 which are expected Pokémon on that route).

I guess you could put a write breakpoint on the EU equivalent of CFD8 (CFD3? CFDD? Can't remember...).

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 12:33:10 pm »

I guess you could put a write breakpoint on the EU equivalent of CFD8 (CFD3? CFDD? Can't remember...).

Yeah it should be CFDD. Good idea.

Edit: On BGB I encountered the glitch Pokémon 0 'Mù ù (hex:00) in Spanish version using the old man trick even when I went to Route 1 before watching the old man's demonstration, so I'm unsure why it wasn't working before. However my player's name this time was simply "A". Before it was the default "ROJO" name (which may have had other data following the 0x50 if it was selected as a preset name from the new name menu).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:55:39 pm by Torchickens »

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Wack0

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 08:10:24 am »
I was just wondering how you'd do the trade linkup derivative of the left-facing shore tile glitch directly after the walk-through-walls ledge trick.

It took me a while to realise: go into the Safari Zone, save and reset then head out of the Safari Zone, get two Pokémon poisoned, go to Cinnabar and deposit all but one of the poisoned Pokémon, jump off a ledge with your 500th step, walk around the Safari Zone entrance until whiteout, withdraw your other poisoned Pokémon and deposit the healthy one, go link with another game, run around the trade center until whiteout, leave the Pokémon Center and walk up and down the right coast.

Wack0

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 12:34:21 pm »
Regarding linking two European Generation I games, I've been talking about it like it may be possible based on what I've read.

Turns out Torchickens successfully did this to show "changing OT names" with regards to NPC traded Pokémon with an OT name of 5D 50 ..., between an English and a Spanish Generation I game, in a video in 2012: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Zum_-joPerw

So it is indeed possible. I think the doubt is because of structure changes between Japanese Generation I/II games and all localisations, causing link incompatibility between a Japanese and non-Japanese Generation I or II game.

I'm not sure if the Virtual Console emulator allows links between Generation I games of different languages (no matter if they would be compatible or not), though.

Krys3000

• The frenchie
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Head admin of the PRAMA Initiative
    • View Profile
    • PRAMA Initiative - Main french Pokémon glitch website
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 12:40:37 pm »
Sorry, I did not understand that this was an interrogation.

I've been doing trades with my Italian cousins when I was young so indeed it works :)

Admin of the PRAMA Initiative, the main french Pokémon glitch website
http://www.prama-initiative.com
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov

camper

• aka GlitcherRed, azum4roll
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • 975642dx║'r DExsfoF▓1 error.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 09:36:04 pm »
I was just wondering how you'd do the trade linkup derivative of the left-facing shore tile glitch directly after the walk-through-walls ledge trick.

It took me a while to realise: go into the Safari Zone, save and reset then head out of the Safari Zone, get two Pokémon poisoned, go to Cinnabar and deposit all but one of the poisoned Pokémon, jump off a ledge with your 500th step, walk around the Safari Zone entrance until whiteout, withdraw your other poisoned Pokémon and deposit the healthy one, go link with another game, run around the trade center until whiteout, leave the Pokémon Center and walk up and down the right coast.
Going into the Pokemon Center breaks the WTW.

Most of the Pokedex screenshots are just empty with Rhydon's weight and height. The only interesting part would be the Pokemon Category.
Youtube

Guess where this is?

Wack0

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 04:19:24 am »
Going into the Pokemon Center breaks the WTW.

The Pokémon Center is only entered on poison whiteout, and when the Safari Zone step counter is still active.

EDIT: wait a minute, Gen I quirkiness strikes again, doesn't it? Whiting out puts you outside of the Pokémon Center, doesn't it?

In that case going into the Trade Center and whiting out in there would have to be done while the Safari Zone's step counter is running.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:40:52 am by Wack0 »

Raven Freak

• Sonic 2 SMS Haxor
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Haxor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 07:10:59 pm »
I've honestly been wondering when the documentation on International Glitch Pokemon would be added to the wiki. While I haven't updated any of my research in forever, it'll still be cool to see the documentation on the wiki in the future. :)