Celebi Egg trick
Select glitches (Japan)
SRAM glitch
CoolTrainer♀ corruption
LOL glitch
Rival LOL glitch
Super Glitch
ZZAZZ glitch
Pomeg corruption glitch (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Elite Four door glitch (Japan)
Pokémon merge glitch
Pokémon cloning
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
Coin Case glitches
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Glitches between two generations
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Music glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Officially acknowledged glitches
Recurring glitches
Dead glitches

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
Glitch Pokémon cries
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Easter eggs
Error traps
Glitch areas
Glitch myths
Non-glitch exploits
Placeholder texts
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Pokémon Gold/Silver Virtual Console glitch confirmation  (Read 3668 times)

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
Pokémon Gold/Silver Virtual Console glitch confirmation
« on: September 21, 2017, 08:41:42 am »
Pokémon Gold and Silver come out for 3DS Virtual Console on September 22, and as of now in Japan, Australia and New Zealand are already available to download.

Discuss glitches here.

Does the Coin Case glitch work? I'm waiting until the game comes out in Europe and will try it if the answer hasn't been found before.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:42:05 am by Torchickens »
Hi! I identify as female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChickasaurusGL

I like to collect interesting video games. ^_^
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

Give love, receive love, repeat. But in order to love others you must first love yourself unconditionally, even if it means abandoning pressure from projects or taking time off work and empathise with the self as you are your own best friend. The key often is simply to follow your heart, your urges and have faith they are valid; use them to do what you want to do as long as it doesn't harm anyone, and/or sympathise and respect it as we all have bad days (even the prettiest rose has thorns but is still beautiful).

forsyz

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon Gold/Silver Virtual Console glitch confirmation
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:04:21 am »
yes it does i tested it coincase and cloning do work. when you press print or try to print your pokemon team with that guy in that house it doesn't let you use yes. mystery gift also does work to.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:06:01 am by forsyz »

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:18:58 am »
yes it does i tested it coincase and cloning do work. when you press print or try to print your pokemon team with that guy in that house it doesn't let you use yes. mystery gift also does work to.

Awesome. Thanks for testing it on VC! Did you test just the Glitch Dimension? Hopefully arbitrary code execution works as well.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thank you Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

Give love, receive love, repeat. But in order to love others you must first love yourself unconditionally, even if it means abandoning pressure from projects or taking time off work and empathise with the self as you are your own best friend. The key often is simply to follow your heart, your urges and have faith they are valid; use them to do what you want to do as long as it doesn't harm anyone, and/or sympathise and respect it as we all have bad days (even the prettiest rose has thorns but is still beautiful).

SatoMew

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:33:16 am »
Hopefully the patch files will be made available soon :)

Wack0

• Coder, reverser, beta collector [BetaArchive staff]
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • cBRH - Doing nothing since 2k7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:06:53 am »
Here are the patches: https://a.pomf.cat/ojjism.7z

Interestingly there are patch files for Crystal included, meaning that a Crystal VC release may still happen (or perhaps they abandoned it after realising they'd need to do something about the GB Mobile Adaptor in the Japanese version).

As with R/B, the patch files include comments with some IDA output and some actual src:

Code: [Select]
;0x29e97
;  call ir_main
; ld d,a ; IR_STAT
; xor a

;   _IRcomm_end   0x2a1b9
; ld hl,ir_read_buf                |       21 50 c7 
; ld de,ir_read_buf_stk            |       11 00 c8
; ld bc,15                         |
; call block_move                  |
;                                   |

;3e 3f 21 92 51 cf cd df 65 00   
; ------->
; BCALL G_BANK0b,set_send_data2
; call read_buf_clr
;

Interesting that the "official" bankswitched call macro takes a bank as well as function address. I guess the official GB/C compiler and linker are inferior to rgbds and doesn't have an inbuilt feature to get the bank number that a symbol is in.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:41:15 am by Wack0 »
C H E C K E D . B U I L D S . A R E . A W E S O M E N E S S

BetaArchiveSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #galaxy,#softhistory

Also known as The Distractor.

Shane, please stop telling children that there's a Mew outside under the delivery trucks. - Management

Pokémon: arbitrary code execution 1996-2016

SatoMew

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 12:17:36 pm »
Thanks, Wack0!

Seems like the patches target Japanese Gold and Silver 1.1 and English Crystal 1.1.

The first patch in CGBBXTJ0.534.patch (Japanese Crystal) concerns the Mobile Adapter GB:

[MAcheck]
Mode = 1
Address = 0x16C000
Fixcode = 0xC9

The relevant function in the English version disassembly.

The original value of address 16C000 is F0. This disables the Mobile System GB boot screen but does not seem to affect the availability of the Mobile System GB features in save files on which it has already been unlocked.

The string "MURIYARI" also appears as a comment immediately before some link-related modifications. I initially thought it was a staff member's name (full list) but the word 「無理やり」refers to doing something against someone's will so I wonder what exactly is the meaning here.

Jynx's color was also changed in Japanese versions since only Western Gold, Silver, and Crystal had censored the design back in 2000 and 2001. Korean Gold and Silver originally use the Japanese sprites and I'm not seeing Jynx mentioned on the Korean patches (the Japanese patches clearly state it directly).

Háčky

• Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Pick which packet as an error?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 12:18:49 pm »
Quote from: CGBBXTJ0.534.patch
;0004e433h: A5 01 00 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 ; ?........
;0004e443h: FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 10 00 00 FF 00 FF 00 ; .........

;                                                                                                                           
;00023a9fh: C0 01 00 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 10 00 00 ; ?.........                                               
;00023aafh: FF 01 00 00 0A 10 00 00 0A 01 00 00 FF 00 FF 00 ; .............                                             
;                                                                                                                           
;change to below                                                                                                           
;                                                                                                                           
;00023a9fh: FF 00 E0 01 00 00 FF 00 FF 10 00 00 FF 01 00 00 ; .?.........                                               
;00023aafh: 0A 10 00 00 0A 01 00 FF FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 ; ...........                                             
;                                                                                                                           

[teaching movie]                                                                                                           
Mode = 1                                                                                                                   
Address = 0x4e433                                                                                                       
Fixcode = a32:FF 00 E0 01 00 00 FF 00 FF 10 00 00 FF 01 00 00 0A 10 00 00 0A 01 00 FF FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 00               

As SatoMew pointed out to me once, there’s a minor issue in Japanese Crystal (but not Gold and Silver, I thought?) with an unusually long delay during the Dude’s catching tutorial. This patch is applied in all Japanese versions; $2ea9f is the address in Gold and Silver while $4e433 is the Crystal equivalent. I never found out what caused the delay, so I don’t know if this fixes it.

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 12:25:41 pm »
SatoMew, would you mind releasing a mirror of the patches on a website like Mega please, as I can't access Wack0's link for some reason. Thanks!

I'll also mirror the patch notes here:
https://sites.google.com/site/torchickens2/pokemon-file-comparions

The string "MURIYARI" also appears as a comment immediately before some link-related modifications. I initially thought it was a staff member's name (full list) but the word 「無理やり」refers to doing something against someone's will so I wonder what exactly is the meaning here.

Perhaps it's related to link code where the VC forces something to happen. According to the JWPce dictionary this also means "forcibly".
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:29:11 pm by Torchickens »

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Wack0

• Coder, reverser, beta collector [BetaArchive staff]
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • cBRH - Doing nothing since 2k7
    • View Profile
C H E C K E D . B U I L D S . A R E . A W E S O M E N E S S

BetaArchiveSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #galaxy,#softhistory

Also known as The Distractor.

Shane, please stop telling children that there's a Mew outside under the delivery trucks. - Management

Pokémon: arbitrary code execution 1996-2016

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:33:54 pm »

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

SatoMew

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 12:35:47 pm »
As SatoMew pointed out to me once, there’s a minor issue in Japanese Crystal (but not Gold and Silver, I thought?) with an unusually long delay during the Dude’s catching tutorial. This patch is applied in all Japanese versions; $2ea9f is the address in Gold and Silver while $4e433 is the Crystal equivalent. I never found out what caused the delay, so I don’t know if this fixes it.

Japanese Crystal only iirc, will test this later! :)

SatoMew, would you mind releasing a mirror of the patches on a website like Mega please, as I can't access Wack0's link for some reason. Thanks!

I was getting malware warnings as well. Here's another mirror: https://tknk.io/947X

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 12:53:30 pm »
Quote from: DMGAAUP0.J56
;-----111111111111111144444444444444----0xc902 no ..............Mem Write: pc32 = 0xcc46a addr = 0xc902 value = 0xd                             
;                                                                                                                                               
;PC:51-4461=FA 000CC461  LY:006 AF:0080 BC:E401 DE:0001 HL:C900 SP:DFAB                                                                         
;PC:51-4464=FE 000CC464  LY:006 AF:0080 BC:E401 DE:0001 HL:C900 SP:DFAB                                                                         
;PC:51-4466=D0 000CC466  LY:006 AF:0070 BC:E401 DE:0001 HL:C900 SP:DFAB                                                                         
;PC:51-4467=CD 000CC467  LY:006 AF:0070 BC:E401 DE:0001 HL:C900 SP:DFAB -----  happend only once while the explosive animation begin.           
;000cc471h: FA 19 CA FE                                   

; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf7e value = 0x8f
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf7f value = 0x91
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf80 value = 0x84
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf81 value = 0x92
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf82 value = 0x84
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf83 value = 0x8d
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf84 value = 0x93
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf85 value = 0x50

DMGAAUP0 seems to be one of the English Golds. Interestingly CF7E-CF85 is a string buffer and this appears to be to do with the string "PRESENT" (8F 91 84 92 84 8D 93 50).

The only Present oddities I know are the Present damage glitch and this little text glitch:

Edit: But also, it seems you can use Present when the foe is at full HP and not get the above overlapping message (this happens during the explosive animation as well).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:06:45 pm by Torchickens »

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Háčky

• Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Pick which packet as an error?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 01:01:12 pm »
Quote from: DMGAAUP0.J56
;-----111111111111111144444444444444----0xc902 no ..............Mem Write: pc32 = 0xcc46a addr = 0xc902 value = 0xd                             
;                                                                                                                                               
;PC:51-4461=FA 000CC461  LY:006 AF:0080 BC:E401 DE:0001 HL:C900 SP:DFAB                                                                         
;PC:51-4464=FE 000CC464  LY:006 AF:0080 BC:E401 DE:0001 HL:C900 SP:DFAB                                                                         
;PC:51-4466=D0 000CC466  LY:006 AF:0070 BC:E401 DE:0001 HL:C900 SP:DFAB                                                                         
;PC:51-4467=CD 000CC467  LY:006 AF:0070 BC:E401 DE:0001 HL:C900 SP:DFAB -----  happend only once while the explosive animation begin.           
;000cc471h: FA 19 CA FE                                   

; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf7e value = 0x8f
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf7f value = 0x91
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf80 value = 0x84
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf81 value = 0x92
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf82 value = 0x84
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf83 value = 0x8d
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf84 value = 0x93
 ; ******0xcccccccccffffffff8***********---------------   Mem Write: pc32 = 0x3180 addr = 0xcf85 value = 0x50

DMGAAUP0 seems to be one of the English Golds. Interestingly CF7E-CF85 is a string buffer and this appears to be to do with the string "PRESENT" (8F 91 84 92 84 8D 93 50).

The only Present oddities I know are the Present damage glitch and this little text glitch:

That’s for blurring/dimming the move animation, which includes rapid flashing. I don’t see any indication of either glitch being fixed.

Princess Torchic ❤

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Chicken Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 01:06:02 pm »
Right. OK, thanks.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

SatoMew

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 01:43:36 pm »
Japanese Crystal only iirc, will test this later! :)

I still get a delay but something did change in the tutorial: you now manually close it instead of waiting for the game to do it (input from the A button is ignored), which fixes the delay, but the initial part remains intact so it still has the issue. I assume they did the same thing for Gold and Silver.