UnownDex
More

Major Glitches
Trainer escape glitch
Old man glitch
Celebi Egg glitch
SRAM glitch
Buffer overflow techniques
Pomeg glitch data corruption (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Pokémon cloning
Select glitches (Japan)
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Recurring glitches
More

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
Pokémon Game Genie codes
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Error traps
Non-glitch exploits
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information
More

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Favourite Super Smash Bros. game?  (Read 661 times)

Evie Torchic the Glitch Scientist

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • Thank you for this lovely artwork Nyapon!
    • View Profile
Favourite Super Smash Bros. game?
« on: December 08, 2017, 05:07:07 am »
What are our favourite Super Smash Bros. games and how would we rank them best to worse?

Mine go like this:

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee
2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (I know there's a lot of things to do but have got the most pleasure out of the smaller 3DS version)
4. Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)
5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Although my favourite game in terms of how it feels is Melee, I really love how Smash 4 has so many characters, music, stages, Assist Trophies, items and so on.
Hi!

I'm Evie.

I'm a transgender person, but any pronouns are fine. She/her preferred.

Unfortunately due to legal concerns I won't be using emulators and unauthorised copies of ROMs anymore, just real hardware with official cartridges and a cheating device (Xploder) to aid research, sorry.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thanks Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChickasaurusGL

I like to collect interesting video games. ^_^
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

Faith (which doesn't have to be religious) and a positive attitude/optimism is half the battle for well-being.

Fun times come and go, we may argue what is the point if nothing in this world is permanent; and all energy is believed to be subject to transformation. I guess in the temporary absence of it though, we value those times more and even though some things seem to be lost, they return in other forms.

Bert

• Your Real Dad
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Contributing nothing since 2012.
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Super Smash Bros. game?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 04:02:49 pm »
As great a time-waster as the new games are, they just feel too defense-oriented. Shields are too durable, too many characters have counters, and I'm all but drowning in items whenever I turn them on. None of the moves feel like they have any "oomf!" to them; it's like hitting a baseball with a bat made out of Nerf. Brawl had this problem, too, along with feeling too... airy? Brawl and SSB4 both feel like they encourage distance.

Melee and 64 don't have these problems, items notwithstanding, and I agree with you when you say it has the best feel of them all. My list would probably look the same as yours, but I haven't played the Wii U version.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:03:29 pm by Bert »

Pokedude

• Josh Indigo!
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Video Games can bring people together!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 01:29:41 pm »
Turn your item release down a bit in options. I
I play the WiiU one a lot because the only other one I own is brawl and I lent that one to my friend so I'd have to say WiiU. Also I like how in WiiU you can still play it online. I hate people who are mean online though.
Video games can bring people together or keep them from society. Your choice but trust me, it's better to hang with other people who share your values and interests then to become an introvert. Never let a game with fake prophecy fake killing, and fake weapons become more than a game of pretend. Never let them influence your real life actions. Real killing is wrong but a video game is just that if you keep it that way.
Keep Calm and Game On!

~ JoshIndigo 2018

Parzival

• Buyer beware: House comes with 3 free skeletons in a closet of your choice.
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • This box intentionally left blank. ...wait...
    • View Profile
    • (null)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 06:49:07 am »
>too many item drops
Download 20XX
Go into debug menu
Set drop rate to Instant
Turn on all items
Go into stage
Enjoy 5 seconds of play time
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about destruction.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.
If you need to talk to someone, my PM inbox is always open.

ALERT: THE CRA TO TAKE BACK NET NEUTRALITY IS CURRENTLY IN CONGRESS!!! CLICK THE BANNER BELOW TO JOIN THE FIGHT!

Nostalgia

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:09:21 am »
I only played the first three games, but Melee is by far my favourite and a top 5 game of all time for me. It's just the most fast-paced and competitive with the best fighting physics. My favourite characters in Melee were: Falco and Sheik.

Brawl isn't a bad game though, the physics are worse in brawl, and Meta Knight is OP character, but other then that the game offers a load of variety of characters and good stages and non-Meta Knight games are still fun to play. My favourite characters in brawl were: Falco, Wario and King Dedede.

Super smash bros N64 is a okay game, but suffers from a severe lack of playable characters and stages kind of limiting it's replay value. My favourite characters in the N64 version were: Fox and Mario.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:09:55 am by Nostalgia »

Zowayix

• Loose cannon mod who lives on the edge and doesn't play by the rules
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Cool story m8
    • View Profile
    • Github and whatnot
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 07:45:03 am »
As a competitive Smash 4 player I'm gonna have to say Smash 4, of course. But as a player of games I also found the single player disappointing, and I'm tossed up between Melee or Brawl there.

I could never get the hang of Smash 64 though, it's just ehhhh

Smash attacks are way too hard to do, maybe the Wii VC version is better, I'll have to try it. Oh wait, they're closing down the Wii eShop. Balls.

I need a new siggy, because this siggy is shitty... shittiggy... shiggy.... something.

Parzival

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • (null)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:32 pm »
maybe the Wii VC version is better, I'll have to try it. Oh wait, they're closing down the Wii eShop. Balls.
it's not like there's a good N64 emulator for Wii or anything... that'd be too convenient.
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.

ALERT: THE CRA TO TAKE BACK NET NEUTRALITY IS CURRENTLY IN CONGRESS!!! CLICK THE BANNER BELOW TO JOIN THE FIGHT!

Zowayix

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Cool story m8
    • View Profile
    • Github and whatnot
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 12:46:52 am »
maybe the Wii VC version is better, I'll have to try it. Oh wait, they're closing down the Wii eShop. Balls.
it's not like there's a good N64 emulator for Wii or anything... that'd be too convenient.

I can only imagine you're being sarcastic, but yeah, if I used Not64 I'd still have the weird controls. Also I do actually prefer the Virtual Console releases of stuff anyway.

I need a new siggy, because this siggy is shitty... shittiggy... shiggy.... something.

Parzival

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • (null)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 08:16:35 pm »

I can only imagine you're being sarcastic, but yeah, if I used Not64 I'd still have the weird controls. Also I do actually prefer the Virtual Console releases of stuff anyway.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii64
It's really good tbh. Full GC control support too.
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.

Zowayix

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Cool story m8
    • View Profile
    • Github and whatnot
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 09:12:47 pm »

Bam, and the point is missed.

IIMarckus

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
    • iimarck.us
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 10:40:27 pm »
Items max.
Random stage.

The only way to play.

Zowayix

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Cool story m8
    • View Profile
    • Github and whatnot
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 01:38:15 am »
My further nuanced opinion on Smash Bros 64 is that it's sort of like Pokemon gen 1.

It's the first in a series which was rather experimental in nature (at the time, even if we're used to it by now), and so it's just got this weird feeling to it and a lot of questionable design choices, because it was just a "hey this might be a neat idea" thing and so they don't know how it's going to work out, and it's only in the sequels that they have a better idea of what works and what doesn't and so they're better able to flesh them out.

But if you see it in the context of how video games were at the time, and if you compare a lot of the games intended to be that sub-genre that they accidentally created, you start appreciating them a whole lot more.

Basically, I'd rather play Smash Bros 64 than Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion. I'd also rather play it than Street Fighter 2 personally, because I like the fact that I don't have to learn 50 different button combinations for every character and whatnot.

As for why I can't seem to pull off Smash attacks consistently, well, I am using a real N64 controller with the Raphnet raw plugin, so I figure it must be just like that. Maybe it's just different than how it works in later games but otherwise it's fine, I don't know. I'd still rather play the Virtual Console version than an unofficial emulator on the Wii because I do actually like paying for things when I can. It also means I can judge the game since it's an official release, and not the emulator. I bet Parzival will continue to miss the point again.

Going back to the actual point of the thread, I still prefer the other games either way, because I just like the mechanics and gameplay elements and whatnot more. I'm inclined to prefer Brawl over Melee because I actually prefer a mindgame-based metagame instead of mindlessly grinding until I can mindlessly drillshine the opponent over and over. I like Melee's audio and visual style more though, I remember the first time I played Brawl at a friend's house the first thing I thought was that it's harder to tell what's going on. It sorta tries too hard to be realistic and so the characters aren't as visually distinct from the background.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:38:52 am by Zowayix »

Parzival

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • (null)
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 06:34:22 am »

Bam, and the point is missed.
r/wooosh MVP right here
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.

Pokedude

• Josh Indigo!
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Video Games can bring people together!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 11:55:59 am »
Don't forget that technically 3DS and WiiU are different.
Video games can bring people together or keep them from society. Your choice but trust me, it's better to hang with other people who share your values and interests then to become an introvert. Never let a game with fake prophecy fake killing, and fake weapons become more than a game of pretend. Never let them influence your real life actions. Real killing is wrong but a video game is just that if you keep it that way.
Keep Calm and Game On!

~ JoshIndigo 2018

Zowayix

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Cool story m8
    • View Profile
    • Github and whatnot
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 09:01:19 pm »
Minorly different. I feel like it just comes down to whether you like the 3DS or Wii U more, or if you're a hardcore player and so really need the Gamecube controller support and that sort of thing.

I mean, I appreciate the expanded features of the Wii U version, but also f**k Smash Tour (I actually grew fond of Smash Run eventually for grinding custom moves), and the Wii U is the only console I've owned that's just straight up died on me so I'm kinda bitter about that, and it also leaves me no choice but to play the 3DS version these days.

I'd still say I prefer the Wii U version to the 3DS version overall, but ehhh