Databases
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
Pokémon cheat codes
Pokémon glitch terminology
Useful tools
More

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda) (日本語/Japanese)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki (English)
PRAMA Initiative (Français/French)
MissingNo. Glitch City (Italiano/Italian)
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: ♀ . reading health values?  (Read 261 times)

HAK-DOS

• The mischievously glitchy Screen Lady
  • Not yet posted
  • Offline Offline
  • I. 599 5 ERROR▼ W G /6!2?2 A►◣?
    • View Profile
♀ . reading health values?
« on: December 06, 2018, 07:30:23 pm »
Alright, I am very new to these forums so, if this is a stupid thing to discuss than go easy on me, pfft..
So this is uhh, my first submission to Glitch City Labs, so I apologize for any unprofessional-ism, but I'll try to give some info below on what may have caused it in my save, and how I got it to happen, so you people can try testing if it works or not, if anyone actually feels like it.
Never really thought much of it until recently, but I haven't exactly seen many other people report it either. Thought it might be interesting to discuss, since from what I have read, people have only really had it make "cries" at random or during encounters, but I am not exactly sure if people have got it to make specific noises via the healthbar of a pokemon and ditto.

Someone on the discord suggested I post this here, so, here we go I guess.
I'll copy / paste the same information I put in my video description here: (Again I am no 100% professional, I just glitch hunt for a hobby.)

Not sure if it is caused by other glitches I've done in the past, but it for sure is recreatable, for me at least.
Only "gameshark" codes I've generally used upon my save involve just shop items (to catch my glitch pokemon, masterballs), glitch trainer codes (specifically the "elite six glitch trainers"), and last and not least, a code to spawn ditto in grass, if I feel too lazy to fly all the way to the mansion to set up a special stat glitch.
First examples of the glitch used only one cheat code, and that is to summon ditto. The code is: 014CD7CF specifically.
The second half of the recording, starting at 3:06, has no ditto code active (as I was in the mansion at the time, to give the player a general idea on how to set it up.)

Pokemon version is Yellow, English language.
Save file is around, say- 66 hours, though not sure if that effects anything.
All cries result in a softlock / infinite loop, or occasionally even a unknown opcode to crash the emulator.
Emulator used is Visual Boy Advance.

How to recreate the glitch, if you want to see if it works for you, if it does then I guess we can confirm it isn't a problem just for me!

Step 1. Get any pokemon of your choosing, make sure it has a glitched health value. For example, B43 / 249. Don't think level matters.
Step 2. Get a ♀ . (I don't know if it needs a glitched health value as well or not, but in my case, I have one with glitched health.)
Step 3. Find a ditto, or use a cheat to encounter one. It seems that either one gives the same results either way.
Step 4. Have the ditto transform into the pokemon of your choice, with the glitched health stat. Depending on how high or low the stat is, ♀ . will give out a different cry. Usually if the first value is changed. (Example, B all might sound the same, but A can sound completely different.)
Step 5. Send out your ♀ . and it SHOULD work, I might make a new save to test this, in order to be 100% positive that it is recreatable.

Again, I am just a casual glitcher, but it does seem that it is reading the health value for some reason. Sending ♀ . out first before the other pokemon gives no other results.

Video Link, which is a few examples + setup in the mansion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-ARIl-S80
It is a common fact that any game I touch, instantly explodes into a glitchy mess within two hours of contact. What can I say? It is just a delightful hobby to see them break apart!

Sherkel

• The first unquiring one to bare arms
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • Is it an illusion, or a tower built on sand?
    • View Profile
Re: ♀ . reading health values?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 09:29:36 pm »
Oh, so it's this one!

You can cool down a bit; it's not like we need everything to be ridiculously formal, just slightly less netspeak-y than other forums. The reason I suggested making a thread was so that your question wouldn't be buried under other messages.

Unfortunately, VBA isn't considered an accurate emulator for finding wiki info (nor the safest program to run in the first place,) so it could possibly be just an emulation error. However, Torchickens found out that it can sometimes corrupt the music, so what's happening here is probably something similar! BGB is the way to go for looking into this, especially because you can use the debugger to check what block of code is being run when Y:193 is sent out. Transform doesn't copy HP, so I wouldn't think it's reading its cry from the enemy's health value...but the code itself would have the answer.

If that's more in-depth than you're used to, I'm going to test sending it out a few times on debug Yellow sometime...this...week...

By the way, how did you end up with a glitched health value anyway?

Alright, so I played with it a bit in debug Yellow...the cry was only ever $22 frequency and $77 pitch. Granted, I didn't try that many things, and maybe upon looking deeper could find out it varies. It sounds exactly like the one included here. Same thing on the enemy side.

I'll rewatch this is nobody else finds anything.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:45:21 pm by Sherkel »

HAK-DOS

• Not yet posted
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 06:18:51 am »
Oh, so it's this one!

You can cool down a bit; it's not like we need everything to be ridiculously formal, just slightly less netspeak-y than other forums. The reason I suggested making a thread was so that your question wouldn't be buried under other messages.

Unfortunately, VBA isn't considered an accurate emulator for finding wiki info (nor the safest program to run in the first place,) so it could possibly be just an emulation error. However, Torchickens found out that it can sometimes corrupt the music, so what's happening here is probably something similar! BGB is the way to go for looking into this, especially because you can use the debugger to check what block of code is being run when Y:193 is sent out. Transform doesn't copy HP, so I wouldn't think it's reading its cry from the enemy's health value...but the code itself would have the answer.

If that's more in-depth than you're used to, I'm going to test sending it out a few times on debug Yellow sometime...this...week...

By the way, how did you end up with a glitched health value anyway?

Alright, so I played with it a bit in debug Yellow...the cry was only ever $22 frequency and $77 pitch. Granted, I didn't try that many things, and maybe upon looking deeper could find out it varies. It sounds exactly like the one included here. Same thing on the enemy side.

I'll rewatch this is nobody else finds anything.

Well, I suppose it could be an emulation error perhaps. Thing is though, I cannot exactly remember exactly how I got the glitched health to begin with. It has happened to me on several occasions before, usually after depositing my things in the pc though. I can try and see if I could recreate the health thing later on, when I get some free time perhaps.
Another thing to note, that might be emulation error on my part: Despite pages saying the glitch pokemon freezes upon a wild encounter, never really did for me. I haven't gotten it's "true cry" but rather, just these recorded cries if sent out from my end.

When I get home later today, I could provide a rom if possible, for some testing. (perhaps that'll make things easier to find out?) But I wouldn't be surprised if my rom save is pretty jumbled up, since I've done all my glitch hunting upon that one save file. (not sure how long or how often corrupt data stays in the save.)
On other news, wasn't aware that the emulator I've been using had some suspicious qualities to it, I'll go into trying to find a more decent emulator, thanks for the input!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:22:09 am by HAK-DOS »
It is a common fact that any game I touch, instantly explodes into a glitchy mess within two hours of contact. What can I say? It is just a delightful hobby to see them break apart!

Sherkel

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 08:59:44 am »
I'm planning to try editing enemy HP and stuff later today, but before that I just have to say, please do not post ROMs! It is against the rules. IPS and SAV files are fine.

Actually, lemme update the rules again, because you're not the first I've had to say that to and it's not explicitly in there...

HAK-DOS

• Not yet posted
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 09:23:26 am »
I'm planning to try editing enemy HP and stuff later today, but before that I just have to say, please do not post ROMs! It is against the rules. IPS and SAV files are fine.

Actually, lemme update the rules again, because you're not the first I've had to say that to and it's not explicitly in there...

Oh dear, alright. Understood. Yeah, didn't exactly see that in the rules section, so I apologize for bringing up the subject-

Edit: Would this mean I recieved a strike on the "WOM"?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:25:28 am by HAK-DOS »

Sherkel

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 09:31:34 am »
No, yours is still 0. You didn't even post one, and I generally let first offenses slide anyway. The ROMs thing was more an instance of something not happening often enough to be addressed directly in the rules, so it just didn't make it in there.

HAK-DOS

• Not yet posted
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 09:34:41 am »
No, yours is still 0. You didn't even post one, and I generally let first offenses slide anyway. The ROMs thing was more an instance of something not happening often enough to be addressed directly in the rules, so it just didn't make it in there.

Ah, gotcha. Again, my bad for bringing it up!

Epsilon

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 09:40:20 am »
To clarify what Sherkel meant by IPS Patch:

There's a tool out there - Lunar IPS that essentially takes the difference between the original ROM and the "hacked" or altered ROM. Since IPS patches are simply the difference between the two files, they are perfectly legal and valid to post here.
grouchy

HAK-DOS

• Not yet posted
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 09:42:28 am »
Gotcha. Will snag that later when I get home. I guess I should go ahead and delete the rom itself later, and buy a charger for my old gameboy I suppose?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:51:06 am by HAK-DOS »

ISSOtm

• The French Lord of Laziness (and a huge The Legend Of Zelda fan)
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Pewter City (B)rocks !
    • View Profile
    • My Little Website
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 07:20:10 am »
Btw, better than IPS is BPS.
"THOU SHALL NOT PASS !!"  RIVAL's effect, Gandalf.

Proudly glitching Pokémon Red and Yellow on a Black & White GB, Pocket GB, GB Color, GBA SP and new 3DS.

My Twitter (beware, I'm French)
My YouTube (same warning)

Here is an online tool to build 8F setups : GBz80 to Items !

They see me layzin', they ha-tin'...
Heavy contributor of the global augmentation of entropy (my room's is too damn high !)

Sherkel

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 01:11:26 pm »
The mod log says...you locked this, HAK-DOS? :???:

Anyway, without ROMs and emulators we wouldn't have research as we know it, so all I meant was don't say where to download them and such. That doesn't even apply to emulators.

I'm still not sure what was causing the variable cries for Y:193, as I haven't gotten back to this yet, but did you try loading the same .sav in BGB and seeing if the same result occurred? You can post the .sav if you want.