Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion  (Read 107250 times)

Sherkel

• The first unquiring one to bare arms
  • Staff
  • Online Online
  • リリー再び!
    • View Profile
Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion
« Reply #480 on: March 10, 2019, 02:42:49 pm »
Welcome to GCLF!!

D185 is one of the two bytes for your lead Pokémon's DVs as far as I remember, so are you sure it was that that caused your file to erase? Did the game crash and reset immediately afterward? I'm not sure what it might have been unless you wrote to somewhere different, maybe by accident.

However,
All I need is a Pokemon with a special of 182-4 Cinnabar and Celadon access
Brock through walls to Saffron, heal at the Center, get Abra at the Game Corner, Teleport, then do the Escape glitch with the Bug Catcher in the route below and the Blackbelt with the Machop to encounter MissingNo. to clone items for dry underflow, and from there entering a building and changing D364 should let you warp to anywhere. Don't know the exact map numbers you'd need offhand, but I think this would take care of what you need without having to set up an ACE bootstrap from a New Game.

BluPika

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • What on earth is AOL Instant Messanger?
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 11, 2019, 10:51:43 am »
Yeah, I probably just wrote to the wrong address. I started out real careful, checking my codes, but after realizing I could abuse ws**m* to do whatever I wanted I got a bit excited and a bit reckless. My screen filled with glitch textures, and I immediately reset. I came back to "New Game" and nothing else. That's why I said it went up in smoke. No error message or 'this save is corrupted' or anything like that. After the reset, it was like the save had never existed. I've messed up save files before by resetting while saving, and I always get an error message. Thanks for the advice, I can get this save up and running in no time. Okay, so dry underflow. I know how to set it up, and the basics of what is possible. A few questions. How can I keep track of my place in the menu? D364 is decently far down. If there is <100 items in a stack, can I still toss it up to 255? If not, I would have to find a room with a >99 address. Is there a practical way to go up and edit the lower addresses? Thanks a lot for your help.  :)

Sherkel

• Staff
  • Online Online
  • リリー再び!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 11, 2019, 01:36:48 pm »
It might be a good idea to back up your save, if you can. Even when using ws m carefully, there's the chance something might go wrong by accident when trying out a lot of different things.

As for your questions, the best way to keep track of where you are in the menu is by counting, generally, as the items and quantities will change as their corresponding addresses do. However, there are some usual "tells", such as item 32 usually being an Ultra Ball, or Old Amber if not that. 27 and 28 should be .j items if you haven't swapped anything to there, and 29 should too if you skipped Brock. You're looking for item 36 (the quantity specifically), so that would be four spaces down, usually a Master Ball.

You can't toss or sell more items in a stack than there are, so if there aren't 0 items in a stack, you can't toss 255 of them. You could switch a .j x0 to there from a safe address to get to any map ID, but you just need 8 for Cinnabar Island. Not sure exactly what you mean by going up to edit the lower addresses; you can make sure you know what they are by naming your rival, though, if I understand your question correctly.

I might have to test this to be sure, as I haven't worked with this in a while.

BluPika

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • What on earth is AOL Instant Messanger?
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 11, 2019, 01:56:36 pm »
I mean, like, as you go down you are viewing increased addresses, as the current slot increases past 20, I'm wondering if you can decrease it past 0 to edit higher addresses. As for the 255 thing, I just stupidly thought that you could always toss glitch stacks up to 255.

Just edited to add this. Where can I find a database for characters (a, b, A, B, pk, mn, etc.) sorted by index number? I checked the Glitch City database and couldn't find it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:03:39 pm by BluPika »

Sherkel

• Staff
  • Online Online
  • リリー再び!
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 11, 2019, 07:49:59 pm »
Oh, like looping back around to something before the first item? Unfortunately the item pack is limited to 128 spots, so it can only do so much. We have ACE to edit other addresses, luckily.

As for text character values and correspondences, that's all in The Big List.

I can't do this right now (was going to use it to verify what I suggested), but I'd recommend testing whatever you plan to do with the debug patch for Yellow first, just in case things don't go as planned again.

Areadien

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 12, 2019, 07:00:27 pm »
OK, so, I'm trying to do the flawless level 100 Pokémon, but I'm not sure exactly what I need. I already have 8F, so that's not an issue. I've looked at tons of YouTube videos, but none of them have written instructions saying the precise necessities. So what else do I need to do?

Sherkel

• Staff
  • Online Online
  • リリー再び!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 14, 2019, 08:50:16 am »
OK, so, I'm trying to do the flawless level 100 Pokémon, but I'm not sure exactly what I need. I already have 8F, so that's not an issue. I've looked at tons of YouTube videos, but none of them have written instructions saying the precise necessities. So what else do I need to do?
Can you show us the exact code you're trying to execu--oh. Hm. Not really much to answer without that, unfortunately. :(

However, there is this! https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6638.msg196936.html#msg196936 :) Read the post right below it too.

If literally all you've done is get 8F, read the first post in that thread as well.

ISSOtm

• The French Lord of Laziness (and a huge The Legend Of Zelda fan)
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Pewter City (B)rocks !
    • View Profile
    • My Little Website
« Reply #487 on: March 14, 2019, 12:58:56 pm »
I mean, like, as you go down you are viewing increased addresses, as the current slot increases past 20, I'm wondering if you can decrease it past 0 to edit higher addresses. As for the 255 thing, I just stupidly thought that you could always toss glitch stacks up to 255.

Just edited to add this. Where can I find a database for characters (a, b, A, B, pk, mn, etc.) sorted by index number? I checked the Glitch City database and couldn't find it.
You can't underflow the currently-selected item slot, the game explicitly prevents that. Further, slots 128 onwards are just a mirror of slots 0 onwards, partly because the game doesn't expect you to go past 128 items.
"THOU SHALL NOT PASS !!"  RIVAL's effect, Gandalf.

Proudly glitching Pokémon Red and Yellow on a Black & White GB, Pocket GB, GB Color, GBA SP and new 3DS.

My Twitter (beware, I'm French)
My YouTube (same warning)

Here is an online tool to build 8F setups : GBz80 to Items !

They see me layzin', they ha-tin'...
Heavy contributor of the global augmentation of entropy (my room's is too damn high !)