Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: A problem with my laptop's screen display.  (Read 1684 times)

Eve the Bird Mother ❤✿

• Always believe in yourself first. ✿ Aspiring to be a mother. 🦋
  • Head Administrator
  • Online Online
  • Characters © Tsuburaya, Sanrio, Nintendo/TOSE
    • View Profile
A problem with my laptop's screen display.
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:48:40 am »
Recently, I've experienced an unusual problem with my laptop screen display (a CRT monitor based on an Acer built laptop using Windows Vista). Now I have to temporarily use my mum's laptop. The problem is that whenever I turn the power on the screen will fail to display what needs to be shown correctly, for example, unusual vertical bars and 'flickering' effects seem to appear. I thought perhaps as a CRT monitor the laptop may have been prone to interference (as mentioned by Microsoft's website), although I couldn't find anything around which may have been causing the problem.

I was thinking maybe that perhaps it was an internal problem with the monitor itself (maybe due to it being old it may be affecting the graphics card), because every time I boot up the laptop it fails to even update the screen, so the display appears blurry and slowly fades away. The screen display will only update itself when I tilt the monitor slightly and even so that's quite awkward because I have to keep moving it with one hand, and move the mouse/type with the other hand.

Has anyone encountered this kind of problem before, I was wondering if there is anything else I could try before sending the laptop away to be looked at.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:51:31 am by Torchickens »

(Image © Sanrio, Nintendo, HAL Laboratory)

✿ Hi! I'm Evie. I'm a transgender woman, but any pronouns are fine. She/her preferred. ✿ 🦋

Please note:

While I'm one of the staff who runs the site, Abwayax is the founder and manages the technical side of the site (specifically the server, but I can do forum/wiki stuff if you like, I suggest if you do to make a thread about it to gather a consensus). Still feel free to contact me about higher site issues though; I will forward them to Abwayax if needed. :)

Forgiveness is timeless, and moments we look back on humble the soul.

Thank you Nyapon for this lovely artwork. :3

Lauryn the Arisen

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • "That is just offensive what they do." - Ellis
    • View Profile
    • The Hellgar Pack
Re: A problem with my laptop's screen display.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:52:08 am »
I had the same problem with my last laptop last year, where my screen went white, with flashing multi-bright colours all over the place, when I tried to boot again, I kept getting lines through the screen until in the end my system packed up, as it would turn itself off, and on. It might be the screen, I had the same trouble with my old laptop which was Vista. I tried to tilt mine yet nothing happened. Can your laptop detect a monitor cable? If so, see if you get the same results as you do on a PC monitor, if you do, then maybe seeing if you can get it replaced, I'd gotten mine replaced four weeks ago.
R.I.P. Paul Gray - April 8, 1972 – May 24, 2010.
Poets of the Fall Addict.
I love you, to the moon and back, Nathan "Dallas" Steele <3

Eve the Bird Mother ❤✿

• Always believe in yourself first. ✿ Aspiring to be a mother. 🦋
  • Head Administrator
  • Online Online
  • Characters © Tsuburaya, Sanrio, Nintendo/TOSE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:42:51 pm »
I had the same problem with my last laptop last year, where my screen went white, with flashing multi-bright colours all over the place, when I tried to boot again, I kept getting lines through the screen until in the end my system packed up, as it would turn itself off, and on. It might be the screen, I had the same trouble with my old laptop which was Vista. I tried to tilt mine yet nothing happened. Can your laptop detect a monitor cable? If so, see if you get the same results as you do on a PC monitor, if you do, then maybe seeing if you can get it replaced, I'd gotten mine replaced four weeks ago.

Thanks for the quick response; I'll check if that works later.

(Image © Sanrio, Nintendo, HAL Laboratory)

✿ Hi! I'm Evie. I'm a transgender woman, but any pronouns are fine. She/her preferred. ✿ 🦋

Please note:

While I'm one of the staff who runs the site, Abwayax is the founder and manages the technical side of the site (specifically the server, but I can do forum/wiki stuff if you like, I suggest if you do to make a thread about it to gather a consensus). Still feel free to contact me about higher site issues though; I will forward them to Abwayax if needed. :)

Forgiveness is timeless, and moments we look back on humble the soul.

Thank you Nyapon for this lovely artwork. :3

Lauryn the Arisen

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • "That is just offensive what they do." - Ellis
    • View Profile
    • The Hellgar Pack
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:49:08 am »
It's no trouble, Torch. Vista's nothing more than a useless OS that has problems with anything, even it's self. If you're unable to get a new screen, and the monitor works, then it'll be a temporary solution, as I had to use a PC monitor for when I had half a working screen at some point.
R.I.P. Paul Gray - April 8, 1972 – May 24, 2010.
Poets of the Fall Addict.
I love you, to the moon and back, Nathan "Dallas" Steele <3