UnownDex
More

Major Glitches
Trainer escape glitch
Old man glitch
Celebi Egg glitch
SRAM glitch
Buffer overflow techniques
Pomeg glitch data corruption (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Pokémon cloning
Select glitches (Japan)
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Recurring glitches
More

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
Pokémon Game Genie codes
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Error traps
Non-glitch exploits
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information
More

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: World's stupidest question  (Read 4611 times)

MrGlitch

• I am that damn fourth Chaos Emerald
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Aerrordactyl
    • View Profile
Re: World's stupidest question
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 09:54:34 pm »
1. Turn on the gameshark code
2. Get into a wild pokemon battle
3. Right before having the black screen that transitionate between the overworld and battle screen, turn off the gameshark (This will cause the glitch pokemon to be without the trainer and take the form of the pokemon that it was supposed to be encounterd temporaly). This trick will never cause the game to crash except FA-FF (this can happen)
4. Before catching or defeating the glitch, turn the gameshark code back on.
5. The pokemon you will catch (unless converted into RHYDON) will be the glitch pokemon (there is no fusing, you will really catch the glitch pokemon like C7 and below)
I've confirmed that this works.

I've also confirmed that "a" is a pain in the ass to battle!  It won't let me attack after I've selected an attack.  I'd really like to see someone delve into the inner workings of "a" and see why it spawns so many text boxes, for one thing.

It's due to an improperly terminated name.  The game looks for HEX $50 before it can terminate a name.
That was what I thought.

But menu commands don't respond properly even when a's name isn't being displayed.

There are various other glitches that have longer names than what's allowed too btw.
I know that, but names longer than 10 characters result in overflow into the text box borders and into subsequent lines of text.

camper

• aka GlitcherRed, azum4roll
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • 975642dx║'r DExsfoF▓1 error.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 09:51:43 am »
3. Right before having the black screen that transitionate between the overworld and battle screen, turn off the gameshark (This will cause the glitch pokemon to be without the trainer and take the form of the pokemon that it was supposed to be encounterd temporaly). This trick will never cause the game to crash except FA-FF (this can happen)
5. The pokemon you will catch (unless converted into RHYDON) will be the glitch pokemon (there is no fusing, you will really catch the glitch pokemon like C7 and below)

I've also confirmed that "a" is a pain in the ass to battle!  It won't let me attack after I've selected an attack.  I'd really like to see someone delve into the inner workings of "a" and see why it spawns so many text boxes, for one thing.

It's due to an improperly terminated name.  The game looks for HEX $50 before it can terminate a name.
$00 also terminates a name, though the game still looks for $50 when it checks for name validness.
Youtube

Guess where this is?

Photon-Phoenix

• Gotta pop dem windows.
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 12:15:42 pm »

That was what I thought.

But menu commands don't respond properly even when a's name isn't being displayed.

It's most likely due to all the improper NEWLINE characters.