UnownDex
More

Major Glitches
Trainer escape glitch
Old man glitch
Celebi Egg glitch
SRAM glitch
Buffer overflow techniques
Pomeg glitch data corruption (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Pokémon cloning
Select glitches (Japan)
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Recurring glitches
More

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
Pokémon Game Genie codes
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Error traps
Non-glitch exploits
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information
More

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: "Liquid glitching"  (Read 1158 times)

VaeporSage

• Custom Title
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
"Liquid glitching"
« on: May 03, 2013, 02:02:02 pm »
Down through the years, I've sometimes heard tales of people who have done crazy things to their Pokemon cartridges, such as ruining the insides of the cartridge with washing soap, soft drinks and tap water, in order to achieve stupid glitchy effects on the game.

I've always been fascinated by this idea, but I've always treasured my own cartridges far too much to attempt anything of the sort on my own possessions. However, I'm sure that if I were to look, I could find a ton of people at school with old cartridges that they wouldn't mind disposing of for minimal sums of money.  :D

~~~

I have some questions about this, though:

-Is this even possible? Wouldn't any liquids that are damaging to cartridges be equally damaging to the console once the two are in contact?

-If it is true that the procedure involves real liquids, what is the best kind to use? Which stands the least chance of ruining the game entirely/rendering it unplayable?

-Has anyone tried this before? I've searched the internet for information on this topic, but I must not know what this trick is called or else what I've heard from others is totally false.

SuperGlitchy

• The Lavender Town Ghost
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • POKéPC
    • View Profile
Re: "Liquid glitching"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 03:22:09 pm »
While I've never heard of people putting liquid in their games, I have read if you unscrew the game and put dust in it something might happen. (In the person's case: ??????? in crystal.)

ドナルド・マクドナルド

• French Fry Overlord
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 06:44:32 am »
Down through the years, I've sometimes heard tales of people who have done crazy things to their Pokemon cartridges, such as ruining the insides of the cartridge with washing soap, soft drinks and tap water, in order to achieve stupid glitchy effects on the game.

I've always been fascinated by this idea, but I've always treasured my own cartridges far too much to attempt anything of the sort on my own possessions. However, I'm sure that if I were to look, I could find a ton of people at school with old cartridges that they wouldn't mind disposing of for minimal sums of money.  :D

~~~

I have some questions about this, though:

-Is this even possible? Wouldn't any liquids that are damaging to cartridges be equally damaging to the console once the two are in contact?

-If it is true that the procedure involves real liquids, what is the best kind to use? Which stands the least chance of ruining the game entirely/rendering it unplayable?

-Has anyone tried this before? I've searched the internet for information on this topic, but I must not know what this trick is called or else what I've heard from others is totally false.

Okay, I may not know about the software glitching, but I can tell you right off the bat that it is a bad idea to put liquid in your cartridges. Most liquids conduct electricity, which means you will most likely redirect the current and fry the battery or a capacitor. Not only that, but you can corrode the metal, ruining any possible chance of keeping the cartridge working. A gameboy game can last as long as an NES game as long as you know how to replace the internal batteries.

Basically the glitches that you are talking about are caused by bad connections made by the new connections on the current.
If you want electronics to make weird, glitchy, displays in sound and video, learn how to circuit bend. It's very easy to get started, and very easy to get hooked on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY8I4kvkUzM

I hope that explains some of your questions.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 07:07:46 am by ドナルド・マクドナルド »

MrGlitch

• I am that damn fourth Chaos Emerald
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Aerrordactyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:12:57 pm »
Glitches caused by liquids would have the same effects as glitches caused by dirty cartridge contacts or a leaking battery (the only two naturally-occurring physical cartridge defects, as far as I'm aware).

Any glitches would be caused by rusty metal parts or, as Mr. Japanese Name said, corroded contacts. Damage to semiconductors would be the worst effect of liquid damage. Either way, it's a bad idea unless the cartridge and the Game Boy unit are completely junky.

Personally, if I had a cartridge and GB to try it out with, I'd leave the game in bleach or laundry detergent for a while, then rinse it off. Those two solutions do a great job of messing up the integrity of metal.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:13:34 pm by MrGlitch »

Hālian

• That worldbuilding/micronations/MTG guy
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • For a better world
    • View Profile
    • Hoennese Realm
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 11:43:38 pm »
PSA: Mr Japanese Name is the Glitcher Formerly Known as Tachi.
Hoennese Realm

All sprites made by Naitekiakki, except:
Recolored Gardevoir made by me