Databases
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
Pokémon cheat codes
Pokémon glitch terminology
Useful tools
More

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda) (日本語/Japanese)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki (English)
PRAMA Initiative (Français/French)
MissingNo. Glitch City (Italiano/Italian)
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Generation II's item 00h  (Read 5021 times)

Sherkel

• Ringsome on the aquaface
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Generation II's item 00h
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 03:50:55 pm »
Hey! What is that 'neko no ko koneko' thing?
A poet from a wicked long time ago was asked to read "子子子子子子子子子子子子" on threat of death. He responded "a small cat [is] a kitten; a small lion [is] a cub". The repetition of "こうげき" reminded me of it.

Kind of on hiatus for the next few weeks at least, but I always come back and in the meantime would like to encourage discussion on how the site is organized so as to let visitors find the most useful info (whatever that may be) in a clean and efficient fashion.
I don't have a habit of keeping Discord open, so direct inquiries are still preferred through here.

TheICTLiker4

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 01:47:38 am »
Yes, that is a repetition of a control character, under the codepoint of 2316. It reads こうげき kō geki and means attack. In other games, it prints tzx, but it's just garbage data. In Generation I, the same character in the Japanese games prints ゔ vu, but it's just a junk character in the English games.
In Generation III, this character is ó in the international games and も mo in Japanese games.

Sherkel

• Ringsome on the aquaface
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 04:52:10 am »
Ah, interesting. Didn't know there were control characters in GSC for things like that.

I might have come across an instance of the other thing when transferring something with diacritics in the name from Gen III to Pal Park.

Kind of on hiatus for the next few weeks at least, but I always come back and in the meantime would like to encourage discussion on how the site is organized so as to let visitors find the most useful info (whatever that may be) in a clean and efficient fashion.
I don't have a habit of keeping Discord open, so direct inquiries are still preferred through here.

Evie the Mother Hen ☽ ❤

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • I love My Melody. I want to be a mum. 🦋 ✿
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 05:11:07 am »
It's curious they have the こうげき control character. If I remember (when I was analysing the JP Sweet Honey text) it is used by a certain battlable Trainer or Trainers in the Japanese version - so it's not unused, but maybe not as essential as say the player name control character.

I might have come across an instance of the other thing when transferring something with diacritics in the name from Gen III to Pal Park.

This brings to mind https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Pal_Park_name_encoding_glitch ; what instance do you mean specifically out of interest?

Also on the Mobile GB Adapter server while talking about potential exploits; I made this post
Quote from: Me (quotes are from someone else)
Found this. Actually when an accurate emulation of Mobile GB Adapter on real hardware is achieved then (no external device) ACE may not be as unlikely as it looked if we can peer-check it/video maybe, find out where it's used.

"The last occurrence is inside mobile-related code. Every single string (nickname, OT, mail, mail author) is checked for invalid bytes and termination (where the terminator is $4E for some reason) within the correct length, by bankswitched calls. If one of these checks fails, the offending string is replaced with a default string by a bankswitched call.

Here's a list of default strings used:
OT name, mail author: "クりス" Chris followed by two terminators
Pokémon nickname: "?????" unterminated(!!!)
Mail text: "こんにちは" "Konnichiwa" Hello followed by one terminator"

^ Apparently it seems something within the code can cause the name to be an unterminated ?????. If it's unterminated then maybe that could potentially lead to an exploit/non-cheating device glitch technique to do the exploit ; but if it is checked again after the conversion without printing it, it might just terminate it again.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 05:12:52 am by Princess Torchic Owl Lover ☽ ❤ »

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿
Here have some free flowers on every post :)
✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

(Images © Sanrio, Nintendo, Pokémon, HAL Laboratory)

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Transgender woman but spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

Feel free to contact me here about anything regarding the site.

Forgiveness. I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

Thank you Nyapon for this lovely artwork. :3