Lab β: Glitch City Labs Projects > Project "Palette Town"

Project "New Bark Town" (hehe)

(1/3) > >>

SatoMew:
How does GCLF prefer GBC screenshots? With the real GBC colors or with the raw RGB values? By default, BGB does the former. To quote its readme file:

--- Quote from: BGB ---GBC LCD colors: (on) make GBC colors look as on real GBC. disable to use RGB values directly without conversion.

--- End quote ---

Here's a comparison. Left = real GBC colors, right = raw RGB values

Hālian:
I would personally rather have the screenshot on the right.

SatoMew:
I'm also asking this because I believe these sort of things should be standardized. It'd be awkward to see a mix of the two on the wiki's articles, and then that would lead to the question of which type of screenshot is "correct". Since people may use different emulators (VBA & VBA-M use the raw RGB values by default, BGB uses the real GBC colors by default, Gambatte by default looks different than all three, etc.), it's important that the desired look is established.

Lunamann:

--- Quote from: SatoMew on February 12, 2015, 01:27:46 pm ---...that would lead to the question of which type of screenshot is "correct". Since people may use different emulators (VBA & VBA-M use the raw RGB values by default, BGB uses the real GBC colors by default, Gambatte by default looks different than all three, etc.), it's important that the desired look is established.

--- End quote ---

Don't forget that people will also be doing these glitches on the actual hardware as well- not all of us are emulating.

Personally, I say that the "real GBC" option is best, as it's what the actual hardware uses, and thus is the option that has the most claim to being "correct". But that's just me.

Zowayix:

--- Quote from: Lunamann on March 17, 2015, 05:08:35 pm ---
--- Quote from: SatoMew on February 12, 2015, 01:27:46 pm ---...that would lead to the question of which type of screenshot is "correct". Since people may use different emulators (VBA & VBA-M use the raw RGB values by default, BGB uses the real GBC colors by default, Gambatte by default looks different than all three, etc.), it's important that the desired look is established.

--- End quote ---

Don't forget that people will also be doing these glitches on the actual hardware as well- not all of us are emulating.

Personally, I say that the "real GBC" option is best, as it's what the actual hardware uses, and thus is the option that has the most claim to being "correct". But that's just me.

--- End quote ---

Personally I would say that just because the real hardware displays washed out colours doesn't mean it's "correct", it's just accurate to the real hardware, which is "incorrect". Consider that IIRC Super Game Boy and Pokemon Stadium's GB Tower don't have washed out colours, unless I'm wrong, in which case disregard everything I just said.

Pulling all that aside (or is it putting?) and just considering both pictures as being original with no "real hardware" to be "correct" towards (like if you were showing me 2 pictures of a pretentious retraux indie game you were making), I think the left picture looks "better" anyway, because the colours look more "natural" because Game Freak designed their games to look "good" on a washed out LCD screen and the right one looks like someone opened an image editor and fucked with the saturation slider.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version