TypeDex
More

Major Glitches
Trainer escape glitch
Old man trick
Celebi Egg trick
SRAM glitch
Buffer overflow techniques
Pomeg glitch data corruption (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Pokémon cloning
Select glitches (Japan)
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Recurring glitches
More

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
The Big HEX List
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Error traps
Non-glitch exploits
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information
More

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Just had some kind of glitch happen with Mimic  (Read 435 times)

Whimsical

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
Just had some kind of glitch happen with Mimic
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:58:17 pm »
Was fighting Agatha with an Eevee (moveset is Double-Edge, Bite, Mimic, Body Slam), and had it lead with Mimic to get a move that it can hit Ghosts with. Agatha switched out her lead Gengar with her Golbat, so I copied Wing Attack from it. Then (I think) I noticed it was copied over slot 2 instead of slot 3 (or maybe I noticed Mimic in slot 2, I don't exactly recall), and used it to get a second copy of Wing Attack on the Eevee (it also might have been that I used Wing Attack and it brought up the copy window again). Sorry for not remembering exactly what happened. Does anyone know what happened in that situation or is this something new?

Evie Torchic the Glitch Scientist

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • "Hens can't be scientists"..However I disagree! 🦋
    • View Profile
Re: Just had some kind of glitch happen with Mimic
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:01:52 pm »
Not sure but it sounds like that might be new. I'll look into it. Thanks! :)
Hi! I identify as female.  She/her pronouns, please.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thanks Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChickasaurusGL

I like to collect interesting video games. ^_^
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

The issue with spirituality I feel is that people try to learn ideology, which while valid is not the whole picture and can lead to 'spiritual materialism' (masking), when a large component is that as children we're already our genuine selves or 'spiritual masters'.

Whimsical

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:33:11 pm »
Two other details I forgot to mention. The Golbat used Haze, and its sprite disappeared (I don't remember if that was before or after the Haze though)

Whimsical

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 04:53:03 pm »
Ok, just managed to do it again and did some experimenting. The glitch appears to happen when using Mimic on the same turn the opponent switches out their Pokemon, and Mimic is used on the newly switched in Pokemon. When this happens Mimic will copy a move into the 2nd move slot, regardless of Mimic's actual position, and will use that Move's PP (i.e. the PP of the move that was originally in the second slot) for the PP of the copied move. It also causes the opponent's sprite to disappear.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:54:14 pm by Whimsical »

Mefista

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • GREEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 11:18:26 pm »
Ooh, this happened to me once! I freaked out and reloaded tho...

Crystal_

• Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • 39 00 39 00 39 00 39 00
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 07:49:20 am »
Interesting, first time I've heard about this one.

It's actually two separate bugs in fact. The sprite hiding one is due to the game calling LoadScreenTilesFromBuffer1 in the mimic function despite the fact that the last time tiles were saved was at the beginning of a turn, so if the mimic user goes last, the screen will be restored to how it was at the beginning of the turn. This will more often turn out like, if you lost health to an attack, you will see the HUD and HP bar with the health you originally had at the beginning of the turn for a moment, until the HUD is properly drawn again. Notice also how, when the switch is also involved, the enemy's HUD becomes that of the old pokemon for a moment as well, which is indicative of when was the last time tiles were saved during the switch enemy function.

The slot mismatch one is due to https://github.com/pret/pokered/blob/master/engine/battle/core.asm#L1454 setting current menu item to 1, thus losing the original value from when you selected mimic. Too bad, I was hoping it would be possible to manipulate somehow. The only remotely useful trick I can think of is to use a Pokemon that only knows mimic to have it learn the cooltrainer move similarly to how you'd do with the Ditto transform glitch. And well, the fact that you can use this to mimic four moves at the same time, by repeteadly swapping the mimiced move in the second position out of it with the select button in the battle menu. Even though mimic works differently in link battles (the move you get is random rather than selectable), you should still be able to do this to use mimic multiple times at once.

Edit: My bad, it's a non-link battle only thing, because the mimic effect during link battles doesn't read from wCurrentMenuItem.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:35:05 am by Crystal_ »

danny

• Decamark Collector and Pokémaniac
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • i hate being alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 08:36:22 am »
Could this possibly be used for PP underflow with a no-PP move? I don't think it's that plausble but it's worth a try.
i ain't happy, i'm feeling glad
i got N E B B Y in a bag
also depression

discord: big man dan#3383