UnownDex
More

Major Glitches
Trainer escape glitch
Old man glitch
Celebi Egg glitch
SRAM glitch
Buffer overflow techniques
Pomeg glitch data corruption (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Pokémon cloning
Select glitches (Japan)
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Recurring glitches
More

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
Pokémon Game Genie codes
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Error traps
Non-glitch exploits
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information
More

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Pikachu was originally supposed to have a third evolution  (Read 416 times)

Bert

• Your Real Dad
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Contributing nothing since 2012.
    • View Profile
Pikachu was originally supposed to have a third evolution
« on: May 05, 2018, 10:22:57 pm »
Linky dinky.

TL;DR: Raichu was supposed to evolve into a Pokemon called Gorochu but it was dropped due to balance issues and the line was cucked forever when Pichu and Alololololololololan Raichu were introduced.

I’ve been reading a lot of headlines recently about an interview with Atsuko Nishida, a graphic artist who helped design many of the original Pokémon, including series icon Pikachu. The main takeaway is that Pikachu, the famed electric mouse, was not supposed to be based on a mouse at all, but rather a squirrel that Nishida wanted to keep as a pet. I suppose in hindsight the large tail should have made that rather obvious, but I’ve accepted the mouse myth my entire life.

What I didn’t realize about this interview until today was that it was also revealed that Pikachu was supposed to actually be a three-stage evolution Pokémon. In the game, Pikachu evolves into Raichu with a Thunder Stone, which was a subject of much contention in the animated series, as Ash’s Pikachu never wanted to evolve, but there was actually supposed to be one more evolution passed Raichu as well.

Gorochu.

The final evolution of Pikachu, Gorochu, actually had “fangs and horns” according to Nishida, but was eventually cut from the game because of “balance,” which seems like an odd thought considering that Raichu is usually not thought of as a powerhouse in the game, and it should be easy enough to adjust values to “nerf” any Pokémon and make them less powerful. There are no third stage electric types in Gen 1, so it seems like Gorochu could have easily fit in there, and other iconic Pokémon from Gen 1, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Charmander, all had a third and final evolution stage.

I’m trying to picture an evolved Raichu with fangs and horns, which is kind of amazing, and at least one artist has made an attempt to draft what Gorochu could have looked like. Fangs and horns are present, but it’s still rather cute.

But Raichu has never evolved, not in seven generations when many other Pokémon that originally did not have further evolutions have gotten them. The only addition to the Pikachu family has been earlier evolutions like the baby Pichu, or the Alolan version of Raichu, which is not the same thing.

Will Gorochu ever make its way into a game? It seems unlikely now, given that we’ve gone seven generations without a true Raichu evolution. We should see a new Pokémon game announced this year (for the Switch!), but I would not expect Gorochu to make an appearance after more than 20 years.

Still, it’s a neat bit of Pokémon history, and it’s amazing to still learn new things about the series all this time later. Pikachu is a squirrel and could have had a powerful evolution with horns and fangs. This is like when I learned the original draft of Sonic the Hedgehog had him have a guitar, motorcycle and busty girlfriend (seriously, look it up).

Evie Torchic the Glitch Scientist

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • Thank you for this lovely artwork Nyapon!
    • View Profile
Re: Pikachu was originally supposed to have a third evolution
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 04:26:25 am »
Awesome!

Would have loved to see Game Freak release Gorochu :(

Thinking about it, remember カビチュウ (Kabichuu) the Japanese name for Teru-Sama which is a combination of Snorlax (Kabigon) and Pikachu? I wonder if that's some kind of in-joke regarding Kōji Nishino (the "model for Snorlax") and him liking cute things?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:27:51 am by Torchickens »
Hi!

I'm Evie.

I'm a transgender person, but any pronouns are fine. She/her preferred.

Unfortunately due to legal concerns I won't be using emulators and unauthorised copies of ROMs anymore, just real hardware with official cartridges and a cheating device (Xploder) to aid research, sorry.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thanks Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChickasaurusGL

I like to collect interesting video games. ^_^
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

Faith (which doesn't have to be religious) and a positive attitude/optimism is half the battle for well-being.

Fun times come and go, we may argue what is the point if nothing in this world is permanent; and all energy is believed to be subject to transformation. I guess in the temporary absence of it though, we value those times more and even though some things seem to be lost, they return in other forms.

ISSOtm

• The French Lord of Laziness (and a huge The Legend Of Zelda fan)
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Pewter City (B)rocks !
    • View Profile
    • My Little Website
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 04:59:36 am »
It'd be a fun coincidence, regarding the [ûrl=https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Evolving_Raichu]Evolving Raichu[/url] glitch. I don't believe these to be correlated at all, though -- it's just a translation fucky wucky >w<
"THOU SHALL NOT PASS !!"  RIVAL's effect, Gandalf.

Proudly glitching Pokémon Red and Yellow on a Black & White GB, Pocket GB, GB Color, GBA SP and new 3DS.

My Twitter (beware, I'm French)
My YouTube (same warning)

Here is an online tool to build 8F setups : GBz80 to Items !

They see me layzin', they ha-tin'...
Heavy contributor of the global augmentation of entropy (my room's is too damn high !)

Mefista

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • GREEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 07:01:44 pm »
I always said that Pikachu would've made more sense as a squirrel, and I probably would've liked Gorochu if it was real (I have drawn Raichu evolutions for all the diffirent types by myself years ago, gotta finish them, as I only ever posted 9 so I won't mind a canon one).
The "horns and fangs" bit is real cool.

I have an art-block-fighting project where I mangle gen2 sprites, and my version of chu line has those

Sorry if I sound self-centered ><
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 10:22:33 pm by Mefista »

Evie Torchic the Glitch Scientist

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • Thank you for this lovely artwork Nyapon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 10:22:35 am »
Nice artwork! :)

Sorry if I sound self-centered ><

Not at all.
Hi!

I'm Evie.

I'm a transgender person, but any pronouns are fine. She/her preferred.

Unfortunately due to legal concerns I won't be using emulators and unauthorised copies of ROMs anymore, just real hardware with official cartridges and a cheating device (Xploder) to aid research, sorry.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thanks Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChickasaurusGL

I like to collect interesting video games. ^_^
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

Faith (which doesn't have to be religious) and a positive attitude/optimism is half the battle for well-being.

Fun times come and go, we may argue what is the point if nothing in this world is permanent; and all energy is believed to be subject to transformation. I guess in the temporary absence of it though, we value those times more and even though some things seem to be lost, they return in other forms.

Mefista

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • GREEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 04:50:40 pm »
Thank you ^w^ Two of my friends said that Raichu-thing here looks like a dominatrix, and I am still laughing about that.And this is not the only Raichu-based thing in that project, btw.

Also, I think the "balance" bit in the article may refer to the fact that MAYBE, Gorochu was planned as a part-Dark (horns and fangs and that name), but they decided that making one more line-exclusive type, like Dragon, isn't a good idea.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:50:56 pm by Mefista »

Mefista

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • GREEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 04:52:41 pm »
Original interview itself, which offers some nice insight into the creative process (and says what "goro" in Gorochu stands for).