Databases
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
Pokémon cheat codes
Pokémon glitch terminology
Useful tools
More

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda) (日本語/Japanese)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki (English)
PRAMA Initiative (Français/French)
MissingNo. Glitch City (Italiano/Italian)
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Oddball National Dex Numbers in ?????????? Glitch Mons?  (Read 601 times)

Flashlight237

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
Oddball National Dex Numbers in ?????????? Glitch Mons?
« on: September 23, 2018, 04:08:53 am »
So yeah, I managed to get some odd-ball Pokedex numbers. I managed to find creatures with more readable National Dex numbers, like one with #508 (Stoutland's dex number) and another with #480 (Uxie's dex number), but then I got decamarks with numbers with odd symbols in front, ex. #♂40 (which was achieved with Decamark with Hex ID #0356). I also remember getting a guy whose national dex number started with an exclamation point (!) and very recently, I found a decamark, specifically Hex ID #35C, whose national dex number started with a dotted U (Ü).

Is there a good reference as to what these odd symbols mean beyond clearly representing dex numbers over 999?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:38:24 am by Flashlight237 »

Princess Torchic Owl Lover ☽ ❤

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to be a mother. 🦋 ✿
    • View Profile
Re: Oddball National Dex Numbers in ?????????? Glitch Mons?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 08:26:20 am »
That's interesting!

The glitch symbols may be beyond a data storage somewhere, maybe you can work out with a VRAM viewer or another resource like Bulbapedia's character encoding in Generation III article. Perhaps it's possible to work out the exact Dex number with VBA's cheat searcher (if you encounter #508 apply the search for "508", and then 480, apply the search for "#480" to narrow down the results).

This way you may be able to get the exact Pokédex number and probably all you'd have to do to work out what the symbol means is divide it by 1000, then ignore the remainder.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:29:29 am by Evie Torchic the Glitch Scientist »

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿
Here have some free flowers on every post ^^
✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

(Images © Sanrio, Nintendo, Pokémon, HAL Laboratory)

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Sex male, and spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

War does not determine who is right or wrong; only who is loudest.
Athena follower. I know that some people view it as idolism, but I follow the spirit in relation to her and God too.

Feel free to contact me here about anything regarding the site.

Forgiveness. I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

Thank you Nyapon for this lovely artwork. :3

Flashlight237

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
Re: Oddball National Dex Numbers in ?????????? Glitch Mons?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 04:16:06 pm »
Seems to be one way or two as to how to go about it. Thing is using the cheat search will be a bit of a chore to do without a bit of programming knowledge. Best I can do is assume the system works the same way as it did with Super Mario Bros (1 tile for each value) and go from there (ex. ♂=20), but even that's rudimentary.