References/Resources
Databases
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
Interactive tools
Reference documents
Terminology

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda) (日本語/Japanese)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki (English)
PRAMA Initiative (Français/French)
MissingNo. Glitch City (Italiano/Italian)
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Hypothetical idea to get arbitrary Pokémon using PC corruption  (Read 620 times)

Evie the Mother Hen ☽ ❤

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • I love My Melody ✿(not really a mum but wanna be)
    • View Profile
Hypothetical idea to get arbitrary Pokémon using PC corruption
« on: September 29, 2018, 02:05:24 pm »
Just an idea on how to get arbitrary Pokémon from the stored PC without arbitrary code execution, if anyone wants to research this (or I may look into this eventually).

1. Use a PC corruption glitch
2. Find an out of bounds stored Pokémon which has a species byte 2 reaching into Echo RAM. View the status of a Pokémon with a non-harmful move 4 to avoid a freeze upon withdrawing it, then withdraw this Pokémon.
3. Take the Pokémon into Day Care and out to convert it into a stable version of the Pokémon.

PC corruption glitches:

https://glitchcity.info/wiki/MetascriptDex/RB:D636_(Route_6_gate)  (script 0x0C)
https://glitchcity.info/wiki/ItemDex/RB:094 Repeated 9F use
https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_No._152 Glitch Professor Oak rating
https://glitchcity.info/wiki/AreaDex/Y:254 Map 254 in Yellow
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 02:06:15 pm by Evie Torchic the Glitch Scientist »

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿
Here have some free flowers on every post :)

(Images © Sanrio, Nintendo, Pokémon, HAL Laboratory)

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Transgender woman but spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman/I'm a 'girly' nerd who discovered herself. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

Feel free to contact me here about anything regarding the site.

Forgiveness. I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

Thank you Nyapon for this lovely artwork. :3

GlitchedPokemonStudent

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Wild Homework appeared!
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical idea to get arbitrary Pokémon using PC corruption
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 05:30:00 pm »
This sounds similar to the "Remaining HP glitch". Is there some difference or upside to it? :???:

Evie the Mother Hen ☽ ❤

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 10:24:49 am »
This sounds similar to the "Remaining HP glitch". Is there some difference or upside to it? :???:

Remaining HP glitch shifts data back from an unterminated PC. This rather gives you over 20 Pokémon in the PC by corrupting the entire list; so Pokémon 21-255 represent other data. Thinking about it, you may be able to use this as a method for remaining HP glitch rather than the one involving Q (FF)/Charizard 'M (FF) and catching Pokémon. I find setting up the expanded item pack (allowing for most PC corruption glitches) slightly easier than getting Q (FF)/Charizard 'M (FF) personally.

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Transgender woman but spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman/I'm a 'girly' nerd who discovered herself. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

Forgiveness. I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

metalmario32

• The ENG Pokémon Nerd
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • RST 38? What's that? ... Oh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 11:09:27 am »
Quote from: Evie Torchic the Glitch Scientist
I find setting up the expanded item pack (allowing for most PC corruption glitches) slightly easier than getting Q (FF)/Charizard 'M (FF) personally.

I disagree, because item underflow can be confusing to several players, and in Red/Blue, getting CoolTrainer is relatively easy thanks to the Ditto move swap glitch (or however it is properly called). After obtaining CoolTrainer, doing the Safari Zone escape glitch in order to access the Route 1 Glitch City for Charizard 'M is easy enough. As for Yellow, I feel that doing the trainer escape glitch once for 4 4 Hy into an evolution to Q is easier than doing the trainer escape glitch once (or twice) for 255 items, and then doing item underflow.

But your points are well stated, and I'll have to look into PC corruption. Good job Torchickens! :D
I've been a fan of Pokémon since my first game. That was Platinum, though. Ever since then, I've played every single generation of Pokémon at least once and got into glitching them when I got RBY. Oh boy, the fun times that I had as a kid... I <3 GLITCH CITY LABORATORIES for bringing back my childhood!

Evie the Mother Hen ☽ ❤

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 03:40:06 pm »
Quote from: Evie Torchic the Glitch Scientist
I find setting up the expanded item pack (allowing for most PC corruption glitches) slightly easier than getting Q (FF)/Charizard 'M (FF) personally.

I disagree, because item underflow can be confusing to several players, and in Red/Blue, getting CoolTrainer is relatively easy thanks to the Ditto move swap glitch (or however it is properly called). After obtaining CoolTrainer, doing the Safari Zone escape glitch in order to access the Route 1 Glitch City for Charizard 'M is easy enough. As for Yellow, I feel that doing the trainer escape glitch once for 4 4 Hy into an evolution to Q is easier than doing the trainer escape glitch once (or twice) for 255 items, and then doing item underflow.

But your points are well stated, and I'll have to look into PC corruption. Good job Torchickens! :D

Makes sense.