UnownDex
More

Major Glitches
Trainer escape glitch
Old man glitch
Celebi Egg glitch
SRAM glitch
Buffer overflow techniques
Pomeg glitch data corruption (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Pokémon cloning
Select glitches (Japan)
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Recurring glitches
More

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
Pokémon Game Genie codes
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Error traps
Non-glitch exploits
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information
More

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Is it possible to create an emulator that ignores unknown op-codes like VC?  (Read 163 times)

4 4

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • I have a tendency to easily crash your game...
    • View Profile
I was wondering, because I would love to be able to try and use 8F without the game crashing. I really love seeing the game break!  :) Also, if there is one that ignores unknown op-codes, what is it called?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:05:31 am by 4 4 »
Time to fill up the screen with GARBAGE.

Parzival

• Buyer beware: House comes with 3 free skeletons in a closet of your choice.
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • This box intentionally left blank. ...wait...
    • View Profile
    • (null)
BGB has a bunch of stuff that's togglable, try seeing if it'll ignore unknown ops. If not, you could probably mod Gambatte to do that very easily.
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about destruction.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.
If you need to talk to someone, my PM inbox is always open.

ALERT: THE CRA TO TAKE BACK NET NEUTRALITY IS CURRENTLY IN CONGRESS!!! CLICK THE BANNER BELOW TO JOIN THE FIGHT!

4 4

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • I have a tendency to easily crash your game...
    • View Profile
BGB has a bunch of stuff that's togglable, try seeing if it'll ignore unknown ops. If not, you could probably mod Gambatte to do that very easily.

I already tried BGB, but the only option related to that is making the game hang instead of having an unknown op-code error. Also, the way VC works is that the VC emulator hooks unknown op-codes, and repurposes them for internal use. I've learned that from TheZZAZZGlitch. I recommend you check out his video on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQZMVo_Fmrs

Basically, if an emulator similar to that is created, we could possibly be able to discover more glitches in red/blue/yellow, and maybe some other pokemon games.
Time to fill up the screen with GARBAGE.

ISSOtm

• The French Lord of Laziness (and a huge The Legend Of Zelda fan)
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Pewter City (B)rocks !
    • View Profile
    • My Little Website
You can't discover more glitches in the games with that.
At best you'd discover glitches with the emulator you've made, but then you just made the emulator to do taht.

Why bother making the emulator any accurate, then? Just make a program that takes the ROM as input, and spews random garbage to the screen; what does make it different from the "bugs" you're describing?
If the emulated game has bugs that don't occur on an actual console, then they're not glitches. End of the story.
"THOU SHALL NOT PASS !!"  RIVAL's effect, Gandalf.

Proudly glitching Pokémon Red and Yellow on a Black & White GB, Pocket GB, GB Color, GBA SP and new 3DS.

My Twitter (beware, I'm French)
My YouTube (same warning)

Here is an online tool to build 8F setups : GBz80 to Items !

They see me layzin', they ha-tin'...
Heavy contributor of the global augmentation of entropy (my room's is too damn high !)

Sherkel

• /du'deɪʃ/
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Here Comes Everybody!
    • View Profile
As Isso said, you're essentially asking for a less accurate emulator. The only way to correctly emulate unknown opcodes is to have the game crash when they're executed. Not all of them are as in-your-face about it as BGB, making you restart the .exe and all, but any other good emulator will at least make you reload the ROM, as would be necessary on a console.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:23:12 pm by Sherkel »

ISSOtm

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Pewter City (B)rocks !
    • View Profile
    • My Little Website
What!? BGB doesn't require anything from you other than resetting the emulator, which is right-clicking the screen, and choosing "Reset Gameboy".

Proudly glitching Pokémon Red and Yellow on a Black & White GB, Pocket GB, GB Color, GBA SP and new 3DS.

Heavy contributor of the global augmentation of entropy (my room's is too damn high !)

Sherkel

• /du'deɪʃ/
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Here Comes Everybody!
    • View Profile
You're right. Not sure what caused me to think that.

Evie Torchic the Glitch Scientist

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • Thank you for this lovely artwork Nyapon!
    • View Profile
Some glitches actually function different on 3DS Virtual Console because VC treats the unknown opcodes as nops. The best way to simulate it like on 3DS Virtual Console is to right click on the instruction after the unknown opcode in the debugger and choose 'jump to cursor'. You could also replace the unknown opcode with a nop, but you would either have to edit the ROM slightly (for how many unknown opcodes the game encounters), or use a Game Genie code to temporarily achieve the effects of that until power off, which depending on the context could be a minor or more significant change to the game's engine.

Note for Game Genie each code would have to be different for avoiding each case's invalid opcode.
Hi!

I'm Evie.

I'm a transgender person, but any pronouns are fine. She/her preferred.

Unfortunately due to legal concerns I won't be using emulators and unauthorised copies of ROMs anymore, just real hardware with official cartridges and a cheating device (Xploder) to aid research, sorry.

Online I most often use the username Torchickens or Chickasaurus.

Ah.. koucha ga oishii ♪

Thanks Aeriixion for the cute sprite above! :) Roelof also made different variations of the sprite (which I animated).

If you like, please contact me by private message here on the forums as I no longer check other places very often.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChickasaurusGL

I like to collect interesting video games. ^_^
https://www.vgcollect.com/Torchickens

Faith (which doesn't have to be religious) and a positive attitude/optimism is half the battle for well-being.

Fun times come and go, we may argue what is the point if nothing in this world is permanent; and all energy is believed to be subject to transformation. I guess in the temporary absence of it though, we value those times more and even though some things seem to be lost, they return in other forms.

Sherkel

• /du'deɪʃ/
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Here Comes Everybody!
    • View Profile
Chickasaurus to the rescue again! Do you know if VC reads them all (D3, DB, DD, E3, E4, etc.) as nops, or just particular ones?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:35:22 pm by Sherkel »

ISSOtm

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Pewter City (B)rocks !
    • View Profile
    • My Little Website
Using Game Genie or modifying the ROM won't work properly; if it's in the ROM (and it's an invalid op), then it has to be some other data; modifying the game's data will have it malfunction, eventually. Skippiing invalid ops with Jump to cursor (protip: shortcut is $F6) is a viable, albeit tedious solution.