UnownDex
More

Major Glitches
Trainer escape glitch
Old man glitch
Celebi Egg glitch
SRAM glitch
Buffer overflow techniques
Pomeg glitch data corruption (Glitzer Popping)
Tweaking
Pokémon cloning
Select glitches (Japan)
Time Capsule exploit
Arbitrary code execution
More

Other Glitch Categories
Glitches by generation
Japan-only/language specific glitches
Natural glitches
Non-core series glitches
Non-Pokémon glitches
Recurring glitches
More

References
Pokémon GameShark codes
Pokémon Game Genie codes
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
GB programming
Curiosities
Debugging features
Error traps
Non-glitch exploits
Pokémon glitch terminology
Unused content and prerelease information
More

Useful Tools
8F Helper
GBz80 to Items
Old man trick name generator
PATH (Prama's Advanced Tweaking Heaven)
Save file editors
Special stat/Pokémon converter
Trainer escape Trainer Pokémon finder

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site Source Code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Safari Zone warden with no Gold Teeth originally spoke in broken Japanese  (Read 161 times)

Evie ❤✿

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • (Image thanks Game Freak + Pexels)
    • View Profile
This is something I read on our affiliates at Legendary Star Blob 2 a long time ago but didn't properly look into myself.

It appears in the Japanese versions of Red/Green/Blue/Yellow, the Safari Zone warden spoke in broken Japanese; with their phonemes corrupted. This was a mystery for some time, but it appears someone named Momiji Aoyama suggested maybe that Team Rocket stole his Gold Teeth.

So at some point, the author of http://hakuda2.web.fc2.com/wario/poke1/k40.html came up with the following script:

「大変や、ロケット団に入れ歯とられてしもうたッ!たっ、助けてくれ!」
「よろしく頼みますわ!ヤツはサファリゾーンや!」
「なに?(微妙にこの部分は不明)そうか・・・いい、お前には頼まんわッ!!」

From the original;
「ふぁいへんひゃ ふへほ はんひ ひへは ほはへへ ひほうはッ! はッ はふへへ ふへ!」
「よほひふ はほひまふは! はふは はふぁりほーんひゃ!」

The gist is like: "This is terrible! Team Rocket have taken my dentures!  Help me! I'm depending on you! That idiot is in the Safari Zone somewhere! What? All right, that's fine, but I beg that you can help me."

There is more to this. It appears the game's story was altered at some point. In the original Japanese versions, due to an oversight, there is hidden normally unused text in the Safari Zone about Silph's Chief. Silph Chief is the Japanese name of the unused Chief Trainer class (who uses Scientist's sprite due to a technicality (it's not the real sprite)). One of these texts is "SILPH's manager is hiding in the SAFARI ZONE." (Japanese: シルフのチーフが サファリゾーンの どこかに かくれてるんだって!). For more information, see this thread.

Thoughts/does anyone have any further information?

I will try to translate the whole article and analyse it further, but it will take some time and my Japanese skills are only elementary-low intermediate with help, or maybe someone on pret/TCRF (such as GlitterBerri) or Legends of Localisation may want to look into it. I also want to do a video about this in depth at some point. ✿
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:53:29 am by Evie ❤✿ »

(Image © Sanrio, Nintendo, HAL Laboratory)

✿ Hi! I'm Evie. I'm a transgender woman, but any pronouns are fine. She/her preferred. ✿ 🦋

Nature: Passive, kind, but a little shy sometimes in public though warms up. Sensitive, however brave. I have a hidden protective side to me. Liberal feminist.

Thank you for this lovely artwork Nyapon! :3

Sherkel

• The first unquiring one to bare arms
  • Staff
  • Online Online
  • Gehen wir mit die Sonne spazieren!
    • View Profile
Huh! That would have been quite the strange subplot indeed. I'll be internally theorizing for a while about what could have gone on between the Silph Chief and Giovanni that led to their disagreement.

Evie ❤✿

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Huh! That would have been quite the strange subplot indeed. I'll be internally theorizing for a while about what could have gone on between the Silph Chief and Giovanni that led to their disagreement.

Yes :). It does make me wonder if a prototype version of Red/Green was ever released from a much earlier stage in development, like the G/S Space World 1997 demos how different it would be. If the G/S Space World being very different is a good example then it may have been a very different game, and it looks like the evidence (concept art, and leftover code like this) suggests that it was. I find this stuff so fascinating too. ✿

✿ Hi! I'm Evie. I'm a transgender woman, but any pronouns are fine. She/her preferred. ✿ 🦋

Nature: Passive, kind, but a little shy sometimes in public though warms up. Sensitive, however brave. I have a hidden protective side to me. Liberal feminist.

Bert

• Your Real Dad
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Enemy FERALIGATR can't receive the gift!
    • View Profile
>Gold Teeth
>Nuggets are made of gold
>The final opponent on Nugget Bridge gives you a Nugget as an incentive to join Team Rocket
>A small, unused subplot involved Team Rocket stealing the warden's Gold Teeth
>Team Rocket stole his Gold Teeth to turn them into Nuggets using Silph's advanced technology, which only the Chief knows how to use, and boost their recruitment rate

Deepest lore.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 06:19:57 pm by Bert »

Sherkel

• The first unquiring one to bare arms
  • Staff
  • Online Online
  • Gehen wir mit die Sonne spazieren!
    • View Profile
>Gold Teeth
>Nuggets are made of gold
>The final opponent on Nugget Bridge gives you a Nugget as an incentive to join Team Rocket
>A small, unused subplot involved Team Rocket stealing the warden's Gold Teeth
>Team Rocket stole his Gold Teeth to turn them into Nuggets using Silph's advanced technology, which only the Chief knows how to use, and boost their recruitment rate

Deepest lore.
This is gold!  :D

IceFlame

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
I guess it comes down to whether the translation from toothless-talk into Japanese is solid. And to indicate that, other people would need to come up with the same interpretation independently. (If someone has read this and thought "I suppose it could say that", that'll be what they see afterwards!)

Evie ❤✿

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
That's very true. My only comment is はふぁりほーん (hafari hо~n)/Safari Zone seems too much of a coincidence for this to all be gibberish, but there are likely different ways to interpret the sentences/not all of it is referencing real Japanese. ✿