Databases
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
Pokémon cheat codes
Pokémon glitch terminology
Useful tools
More

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda) (日本語/Japanese)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki (English)
PRAMA Initiative (Français/French)
MissingNo. Glitch City (Italiano/Italian)
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Safari Zone warden with no Gold Teeth originally spoke in broken Japanese  (Read 531 times)

Evie the Bird Mother ❤✿

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
This is something I read on our affiliates at Legendary Star Blob 2 a long time ago but didn't properly look into myself.

It appears in the Japanese versions of Red/Green/Blue/Yellow, the Safari Zone warden spoke in broken Japanese; with their phonemes corrupted. This was a mystery for some time, but it appears someone named Momiji Aoyama suggested maybe that Team Rocket stole his Gold Teeth.

So at some point, the author of http://hakuda2.web.fc2.com/wario/poke1/k40.html came up with the following script:

「大変や、ロケット団に入れ歯とられてしもうたッ!たっ、助けてくれ!」
「よろしく頼みますわ!ヤツはサファリゾーンや!」
「なに?(微妙にこの部分は不明)そうか・・・いい、お前には頼まんわッ!!」

From the original;
「ふぁいへんひゃ ふへほ はんひ ひへは ほはへへ ひほうはッ! はッ はふへへ ふへ!」
「よほひふ はほひまふは! はふは はふぁりほーんひゃ!」

The gist is like: "This is terrible! Team Rocket have taken my dentures!  Help me! I'm depending on you! That idiot is in the Safari Zone somewhere! What? All right, that's fine, but I beg that you can help me."

There is more to this. It appears the game's story was altered at some point. In the original Japanese versions, due to an oversight, there is hidden normally unused text in the Safari Zone about Silph's Chief. Silph Chief is the Japanese name of the unused Chief Trainer class (who uses Scientist's sprite due to a technicality (it's not the real sprite)). One of these texts is "SILPH's manager is hiding in the SAFARI ZONE." (Japanese: シルフのチーフが サファリゾーンの どこかに かくれてるんだって!). For more information, see this thread.

Thoughts/does anyone have any further information?

I will try to translate the whole article and analyse it further, but it will take some time and my Japanese skills are only elementary-low intermediate with help, or maybe someone on pret/TCRF (such as GlitterBerri) or Legends of Localisation may want to look into it. I also want to do a video about this in depth at some point. ✿
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:53:29 am by Evie ❤✿ »

(Image © Sanrio, Nintendo, HAL Laboratory)

I want to be a mother. 🦋 ✿

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Sex male, and spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

Please note:

While I'm one of the staff who runs the site, Abwayax is the founder and manages the technical side of the site (specifically the server, but I can do forum/wiki stuff if you like, I suggest if you do to make a thread about it to gather a consensus). Still feel free to contact me about higher site issues though; I will forward them to Abwayax if needed. :)

Forgiveness.

I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

Thank you Nyapon for this lovely artwork. :3

Sherkel

• The first unquiring one to bare arms
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • Is it an illusion, or a tower built on sand?
    • View Profile
Huh! That would have been quite the strange subplot indeed. I'll be internally theorizing for a while about what could have gone on between the Silph Chief and Giovanni that led to their disagreement.

Evie the Bird Mother ❤✿

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Huh! That would have been quite the strange subplot indeed. I'll be internally theorizing for a while about what could have gone on between the Silph Chief and Giovanni that led to their disagreement.

Yes :). It does make me wonder if a prototype version of Red/Green was ever released from a much earlier stage in development, like the G/S Space World 1997 demos how different it would be. If the G/S Space World being very different is a good example then it may have been a very different game, and it looks like the evidence (concept art, and leftover code like this) suggests that it was. I find this stuff so fascinating too. ✿

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Sex male, and spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

Please note:

While I'm one of the staff who runs the site, Abwayax is the founder and manages the technical side of the site (specifically the server, but I can do forum/wiki stuff if you like, I suggest if you do to make a thread about it to gather a consensus). Still feel free to contact me about higher site issues though; I will forward them to Abwayax if needed. :)

Forgiveness.

I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

Bert

• Local Shitposter
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Enemy FERALIGATR can't receive the gift!
    • View Profile
>Gold Teeth
>Nuggets are made of gold
>The final opponent on Nugget Bridge gives you a Nugget as an incentive to join Team Rocket
>A small, unused subplot involved Team Rocket stealing the warden's Gold Teeth
>Team Rocket stole his Gold Teeth to turn them into Nuggets using Silph's advanced technology, which only the Chief knows how to use, and boost their recruitment rate

Deepest lore.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 06:19:57 pm by Bert »

Sherkel

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
>Gold Teeth
>Nuggets are made of gold
>The final opponent on Nugget Bridge gives you a Nugget as an incentive to join Team Rocket
>A small, unused subplot involved Team Rocket stealing the warden's Gold Teeth
>Team Rocket stole his Gold Teeth to turn them into Nuggets using Silph's advanced technology, which only the Chief knows how to use, and boost their recruitment rate

Deepest lore.
This is gold!  :D

IceFlame

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
I guess it comes down to whether the translation from toothless-talk into Japanese is solid. And to indicate that, other people would need to come up with the same interpretation independently. (If someone has read this and thought "I suppose it could say that", that'll be what they see afterwards!)

Evie the Bird Mother ❤✿

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
That's very true. My only comment is はふぁりほーん (hafari hо~n)/Safari Zone seems too much of a coincidence for this to all be gibberish, but there are likely different ways to interpret the sentences/not all of it is referencing real Japanese. ✿

Please note:

Forgiveness.

ThomasWinwood

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • 1Df-
    • View Profile
I read ひゃ as じゃ, which is a speech characteristic common among old men in Japanese fiction writing, rather than や. If he has a Kansai accent then my interpretation loses a little strength - there's no other や in his dialogue to compare, and I can't find his normal speech from after you give him his teeth to find out one way or the other. At any rate, ふへほ はん/ロケット団 doesn't feel right - with the exception of ふぁいへん/大変 the prosody and vocalism is generally accurately represented, so I'd expect something like ほへッほ はん.

That said, it's not like this dialogue is unused and leftover from previous builds of the game - it was used in the actual game and translated into English.

Code: [Select]
_WardenGibberishText1::
text "WARDEN: Hif fuff"
line "hefifoo!"

para "Ha lof ha feef ee"
line "hafahi ho. Heff"
cont "hee fwee!"
done

_WardenGibberishText2::
text "Ah howhee ho hoo!"
line "Eef ee hafahi ho!"
done

I hope this reading isn't controversial:
"This is terrible! I lost my teeth in [the] Safari Zone. Help me please!"
"I'm counting on you! It's in [the] Safari Zone!"

「ふぁいへんひゃ」 and 「はッ はふへへ ふへ!」 seem to map pretty simply onto "Hif feff hefifoo!" and "Heff hee fwee!"; is there any reason to believe that the rest of the Japanese differs that substantially in meaning from the English?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:25:28 am by ThomasWinwood »

Parzival

• Buyer beware: House comes with 3 free skeletons in a closet of your choice.
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • This box intentionally left blank. ...wait...
    • View Profile
    • (null)
Knowing little about Japanese aside from bits and pieces of general knowledge, probably not, but as dialects and letter choice change the meaning substantially despite technically being equivalent, that might matter here.
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about destruction.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.
If you need to talk to someone, my PM inbox is always open.

ISSOtm

• The French Lord of Laziness (and a huge The Legend Of Zelda fan)
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Pewter City (B)rocks !
    • View Profile
    • My Little Website
For the second one, I'd rather have thought "In the Safari Zone"? It lines up better with the "ee", I think, but less so with the "Eef".
That said, overall this sounds (hah!) very plausible, gj :D
"THOU SHALL NOT PASS !!"  RIVAL's effect, Gandalf.

Proudly glitching Pokémon Red and Yellow on a Black & White GB, Pocket GB, GB Color, GBA SP and new 3DS.

My Twitter (beware, I'm French)
My YouTube (same warning)

Here is an online tool to build 8F setups : GBz80 to Items !

They see me layzin', they ha-tin'...
Heavy contributor of the global augmentation of entropy (my room's is too damn high !)

Evie the Bird Mother ❤✿

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
I read ひゃ as じゃ, which is a speech characteristic common among old men in Japanese fiction writing, rather than や. If he has a Kansai accent then my interpretation loses a little strength - there's no other や in his dialogue to compare, and I can't find his normal speech from after you give him his teeth to find out one way or the other. At any rate, ふへほ はん/ロケット団 doesn't feel right - with the exception of ふぁいへん/大変 the prosody and vocalism is generally accurately represented, so I'd expect something like ほへッほ はん.

That said, it's not like this dialogue is unused and leftover from previous builds of the game - it was used in the actual game and translated into English.

_WardenGibberishText1::
text "WARDEN: Hif fuff"
line "hefifoo!"

para "Ha lof ha feef ee"
line "hafahi ho. Heff"
cont "hee fwee!"
done

_WardenGibberishText2::
text "Ah howhee ho hoo!"
line "Eef ee hafahi ho!"
done

I hope this reading isn't controversial:

「ふぁいへんひゃ」 and 「はッ はふへへ ふへ!」 seem to map pretty simply onto "Hif feff hefifoo!" and "Heff hee fwee!"; is there any reason to believe that the rest of the Japanese differs that substantially in meaning from the English?

Thanks for your opinion and not just working on what I thought. I do have second thoughts now about my accuracy. ✿

Please note:

Forgiveness.

Sherkel

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Whoa. Finally that makes sense. As a native English speaker who first saw this text some crazily long time ago, I have never been able to decipher that. What do you make of the third one?

_WardenGibberishText3::
text "Ha? He ohay heh"
line "ha hoo ee haheh!"
done

ThomasWinwood

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • 1Df-
    • View Profile
I don't think I ever did work this one out. If I recall correctly it's what he says when you bring him back his teeth before putting them back in. He's probably telling you to hand them over, since that's what you do.

Sherkel

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
If you have the Gold Teeth, you instantly hand them over when you talk to him and he thanks you normally. This one appears when he asks you to find them "ee hafahi ho" but you answer "no".