Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki
PRAMA Initiative
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Making my own video game  (Read 495 times)

Missing? NO!

• HOENN CONFIRMED GUYS
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • BOW TO YOUR SENSEI
    • View Profile
    • Satellite Smash
Making my own video game
« on: January 21, 2019, 03:53:18 pm »
So, yeah, uh, I decided to make my own video game recently. Thought why not, I have the time and a bit of programming experience, so why not dive in and see what I can do?

I started work on January 3rd using the Gamemaker 8.1 Pro Engine; I'm planning to convert over to Gamemaker Studio (or maybe Unity, not sure) once I've finished a beta version and all the elements work properly. The game is basically a top-down adventure-puzzler, where your character will traverse through many dungeons with traps, enemies, and other hazards that could kill him. I'm using a "16-bit" graphic style for this project (it's not really 16-bit, but will definitely look that way once the project is finished).

So yeah. I'll go ahead and post updates here I guess?

After a few weeks of work, I've finished the movement of the main character, gotten 7 different interactable tiles coded, finished the death sequence, and made a test level. Now I'm just adding elements to the game (currently adding projectile hazards, such as an arrow and bullet).
3DS FC: 3652-0544-4440

EPIC. Sprites by Mutou Yami, PT
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/sigshortened.png/

ISSOtm

• The French Lord of Laziness (and a huge The Legend Of Zelda fan)
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Pewter City (B)rocks !
    • View Profile
    • My Little Website
Re: Making my own video game
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 04:39:36 pm »
Why not doing it on an actual 16-bit console? GBA seems to be pretty nice to start on.
"THOU SHALL NOT PASS !!"  RIVAL's effect, Gandalf.

Proudly glitching Pokémon Red and Yellow on a Black & White GB, Pocket GB, GB Color, GBA SP and new 3DS.

My Twitter (beware, I'm French)
My YouTube (same warning)

Here is an online tool to build 8F setups : GBz80 to Items !

They see me layzin', they ha-tin'...
Heavy contributor of the global augmentation of entropy (my room's is too damn high !)

Sherkel

• The first unquiring one to bare arms
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • Doesn't it feel just like we're above the ground?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 06:11:29 pm »
GBA's not really 16-bit, but it definitely looked that way once the project was finished. :P Anyway, I'd assume it's a matter of time spent learning a niche area of development and the niche nature of it to begin with. 16-bit influenced games for PC and modern systems are...well, it's in your avatar.

Looking forward to whatever updates you have, Missing!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:30:08 pm by Sherkel »

Missing? NO!

• HOENN CONFIRMED GUYS
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • BOW TO YOUR SENSEI
    • View Profile
    • Satellite Smash
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 06:28:23 pm »
Why not doing it on an actual 16-bit console? GBA seems to be pretty nice to start on.

A GBA-style would be great, I agree! I'm definitely looking at GBA games for graphical inspiration. My plan is, eventually, to release my game on the Switch, hopefully by the end of the year. A license to publish Gamemaker games on the Switch doesn't cost an exorbitant amount, and if I can make something quality enough to sell, then hey, why not?
3DS FC: 3652-0544-4440

EPIC. Sprites by Mutou Yami, PT
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/sigshortened.png/

Parzival

• Buyer beware: House comes with 3 free skeletons in a closet of your choice.
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • This box intentionally left blank. ...wait...
    • View Profile
    • (null)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 10:59:37 pm »
Timings, bankswitching, etc. can be a hassle, but on modern systems you don't NEED to worry about them!!!!1!!!!2!!!!
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about destruction.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.
If you need to talk to someone, my PM inbox is always open.

ISSOtm

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Pewter City (B)rocks !
    • View Profile
    • My Little Website
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 05:14:13 am »
There's little of those on the GBA. Also, Shek' said it's not exactly a 16-bit console: why?

Proudly glitching Pokémon Red and Yellow on a Black & White GB, Pocket GB, GB Color, GBA SP and new 3DS.

Heavy contributor of the global augmentation of entropy (my room's is too damn high !)

Zowayix

• Loose cannon mod who lives on the edge and doesn't play by the rules
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Cool story m8
    • View Profile
    • Github and whatnot
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am »
There's nothing really 16-bit about it. 32-bit ARM7.

Well, okay, you can have 32767 colours on screen so you could say it has a 16-bit colour depth, but is that ever used to refer to the bitness of a console?

Although saying a console is "x-bit" is often wrong for numerous reasons anyway. Please shut me up before I go on a rant about how nobody would consider the Intellivision to be a 16-bit console, and mmffmffffffmmmmmmf

ANYWAY yes, as much as I love the GBA, there are many reasons to make a game for modern platforms instead of the GBA. Lost of little various reasons, but it's definitely easier for one, especially if you're trying to make money.

I need a new siggy, because this siggy is shitty... shittiggy... shiggy.... something.

Parzival

• Buyer beware: House comes with 3 free skeletons in a closet of your choice.
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • This box intentionally left blank. ...wait...
    • View Profile
    • (null)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 08:31:50 am »
The TG-16 uses a "19-bit" VRAM address bus (a 16 bit value is prepended with 3 bits to select a GPU (out of 3 GPUs!), which the CPU aliases to a 24-bit total sent value), a 32-bit total address space and a 16-bit processor. They called it the TG-16.

Determining console bitness is hard, yo...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:34:52 am by Parzival »
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about destruction.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.
If you need to talk to someone, my PM inbox is always open.

Zowayix

• Loose cannon mod who lives on the edge and doesn't play by the rules
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Cool story m8
    • View Profile
    • Github and whatnot
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 08:54:09 am »
8 bit CPU and 16 bit GPU, actually.

I think back then it was basically all about lying to the consumer and misrepresenting everything for marketing purposes. Like, more so than today. Well, maybe like... more overt than today.

I need a new siggy, because this siggy is shitty... shittiggy... shiggy.... something.

ISSOtm

• Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • Pewter City (B)rocks !
    • View Profile
    • My Little Website
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 10:45:58 am »
There's nothing really 16-bit about it. 32-bit ARM7.

Well, okay, you can have 32767 colours on screen so you could say it has a 16-bit colour depth, but is that ever used to refer to the bitness of a console?

Although saying a console is "x-bit" is often wrong for numerous reasons anyway. Please shut me up before I go on a rant about how nobody would consider the Intellivision to be a 16-bit console, and mmffmffffffmmmmmmf

ANYWAY yes, as much as I love the GBA, there are many reasons to make a game for modern platforms instead of the GBA. Lost of little various reasons, but it's definitely easier for one, especially if you're trying to make money.
The GBA's CPU is 32-bit, but, most memory is constrained to 16-bit busses (EWRAM, ROM, mostly). The exceptions are SRAM (8-bit) and IWRAM and VRAM (32-bit).
Thus, most GBA code runs on 16-bit Thumb ops, and tends to process only 16 bits at a time, at least as far as memory is concerned (registers are still 32-bit, though half of them cannot be used as GPRs).

Also, if the bitness was about the width of registers, the Game Boy would be a 16-bit console. Or, at least the Game Gear.

I'm not too fond of retro-styled modern-platform games, for the most part. Most of them just feel like the "retro" style is just laziness to not make good-looking "modern" graphics.
That said, some games really use pixel art etc. well. UNDERTALE, Hyper Light Drifter, CrossCode, and more.