References/Resources
Databases
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
Interactive tools
Reference documents
Terminology

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda) (日本語/Japanese)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki (English)
PRAMA Initiative (Français/French)
MissingNo. Glitch City (Italiano/Italian)
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Pokémon Sword and Shield Discussion  (Read 7389 times)

Missing? NO!

• HOENN CONFIRMED GUYS
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • BOW TO YOUR SENSEI
    • View Profile
    • Satellite Smash
Re: Pokémon Sword and Shield Discussion
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2019, 11:14:38 pm »
Do you guys think Sword/Shield of the transfer process from the 3DS will work? Is like a thing you download from the 3DS eshop.
Looks like we're getting "Pokemon Home", a Pokemon Bank-like application that works with most modern Pokemon platforms. I'd imagine it'd allow you to transfer Pokemon from the 3DS games to the Switch games, along with its confirmed features of transferring Pokemon between Pokemon Go and the Switch.

Apparently you'll also be able to check your boxes and manage your Pokemon from your smartphone using Pokemon Home, which is pretty cool and interesting. Looking forward to see how they're going to implement it.
3DS FC: 3652-0544-4440

EPIC. Sprites by Mutou Yami, PT
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/sigshortened.png/

Pokedude

• Josh Indigo!
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Video Games can bring people together!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2019, 07:50:05 am »
I wonder how immersive the story experience will be. Personally I'm hoping it's got an immersive story like Pokemon BW had. I STILL NEED TO BUY A SWITCH THOUGH! 😆
Just waiting to see what happens with the Pro ver.
Video games can bring people together or keep them from society. Your choice but trust me, it's better to hang with other people who share your values and interests then to become an introvert. Never let a game with fake prophecy fake killing, and fake weapons become more than a game of pretend. Never let them influence your real life actions. Real killing is wrong but a video game is just that if you keep it that way.
Keep Calm and Game On!

~ JoshIndigo 2018

Evie the Mother Hen ☽ ❤

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • I love My Melody ✿(not really a mum but wanna be)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2019, 08:10:44 am »
I wonder how immersive the story experience will be. Personally I'm hoping it's got an immersive story like Pokemon BW had. I STILL NEED TO BUY A SWITCH THOUGH! 😆
Just waiting to see what happens with the Pro ver.

I think they are about how love and war, good/evil are two sides of the same coin.(?)

So basically if war didn't exist there wouldn't be a universe in the first place; it would be perfect as it was, yet people want stimulation out of pride.

On the other hand, if love didn't exist everyone would be spiritually dead.

I predict Lysandre and Cyrus will fight, but that's just a guess.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:12:58 am by Evie the Bird Mother ❤✿ »

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿
Here have some free flowers on every post :)

(Images © Sanrio, Nintendo, Pokémon, HAL Laboratory)

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Transgender woman but spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman/I'm a 'girly' nerd who discovered herself. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

Feel free to contact me here about anything regarding the site.

Forgiveness. I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

Thank you Nyapon for this lovely artwork. :3

Missing? NO!

• HOENN CONFIRMED GUYS
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • BOW TO YOUR SENSEI
    • View Profile
    • Satellite Smash
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2019, 02:09:25 pm »
Will I get up at 6 AM for this Pokemon Direct tomorrow?

You're goddamn right.

Pokedude

• Josh Indigo!
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2019, 03:09:28 pm »
Wait you mean they announced Lysandre and Cyrus!?
I hadn't seen that yet! I'm very interested...
Video games can bring people together or keep them from society. Your choice but trust me, it's better to hang with other people who share your values and interests then to become an introvert. Never let a game with fake prophecy fake killing, and fake weapons become more than a game of pretend. Never let them influence your real life actions. Real killing is wrong but a video game is just that if you keep it that way.
Keep Calm and Game On!

~ JoshIndigo 2018

Evie the Mother Hen ☽ ❤

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • I love My Melody ✿(not really a mum but wanna be)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2019, 01:56:52 am »
Wait you mean they announced Lysandre and Cyrus!?
I hadn't seen that yet! I'm very interested...

Nah, it's just an unfounded speculation/guess. :) (I said it because Lysandre was obsessed with beauty/ideals, Cyrus was obsessed with eliminating the soul/'perfect world')

But later today there will be a Pokémon Direct.

https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/06-05-2019/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 01:57:53 am by Evie the Bird Mother ❤✿ »

Here have some free flowers on every post :)

(Images © Sanrio, Nintendo, Pokémon, HAL Laboratory)

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Transgender woman but spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman/I'm a 'girly' nerd who discovered herself. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

Feel free to contact me here about anything regarding the site.

Forgiveness. I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

Thank you Nyapon for this lovely artwork. :3

LanceAndMissingNo.

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Oh! That's tragic!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2019, 08:06:57 am »
Great Pokémon Direct (is the 1st/2nd I watch). Has confirmed some new Pokémon: Wooloo, Gossifleur and his evolution, Eldegoss, Drednaw, Corviknight and the two legendaries, Zamacian (Sword) and Zamazenta (Shield). I like all arts, but I prefer Zamazenta. I think is not a good idea Zamacian carrying the sword in his mouth.

It is clear the incidence of Pokémon GO with the "dinamax incursions":

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCheenv4-UJG9zDa_3kFBNw

Sorry for my regular english :/
 Addri.

Sherkel

• Hierarchitectitiptitoploftical
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • PSYNCIN' IN THE VaiN
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2019, 04:08:36 pm »
I agree completely about both of the legendaries. As for the names, if we have Zacian and Zamazenta, I'm assuming the third one would have to be yellow. I like that they seem to simply be strong Pokémon that happen to exist in the region (like Lugia and Ho-Oh) rather than plot devices that are able to do something like destroying the world for once. I like the other designs we got to see as well, Drednaw in particular. On the other hand, the Dynamax thing seems a bit needlessly over-the-top (literally, if using it indoors!)...I suppose those are two marks of a series evolving in the right direction, though: introducing new aspects that surprise veterans for better or for worse while keeping just enough the same. I used to picture Pokémon as getting larger as they leveled up, so it's a bit like having one at level 255 that has to return to 100 once it gains experience points. I don't care much about multiplayer stuff in general, so no thoughts on the raid thing.

I'm not really sure what I do want from these games, in the end, but luckily the reason game designers exist is so that I don't have to know before seeing it. In that sense it's proably not possible to be disappointed if the game in question is part of a series I've always been a fan of.

Want to help with the wiki?
I don't have a habit of keeping Discord open, so direct inquiries are preferred through here.

Parzival

• The Laziest Malware Enthusiast
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • (null)
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2019, 04:36:31 pm »
I agree completely about both of the legendaries. As for the names, if we have Zacian and Zamazenta, I'm assuming the third one would have to be yellow. I like that they seem to simply be strong Pokémon that happen to exist in the region (like Lugia and Ho-Oh) rather than plot devices that are able to do something like destroying the world for once. I like the other designs we got to see as well, Drednaw in particular. On the other hand, the Dynamax thing seems a bit needlessly over-the-top (literally, if using it indoors!)...I suppose those are two marks of a series evolving in the right direction, though: introducing new aspects that surprise veterans for better or for worse while keeping just enough the same. I used to picture Pokémon as getting larger as they leveled up, so it's a bit like having one at level 255 that has to return to 100 once it gains experience points. I don't care much about multiplayer stuff in general, so no thoughts on the raid thing.

I'm not really sure what I do want from these games, in the end, but luckily the reason game designers exist is so that I don't have to know before seeing it. In that sense it's proably not possible to be disappointed if the game in question is part of a series I've always been a fan of.
the multiplayer has never been a strong point after link cables were removed. Online multiplayer became "who can use the most hacked Pokemon and sleazy strats the most?"

i'm also on keybase and bitchute but i don't have nifty buttons for those. Bitchute isn't ready yet, but will be eventually.

Updating profiles when tired... not a good idea.

Pokedude

• Josh Indigo!
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2019, 04:37:32 pm »
I feel the Dynamax thing is super gimicky like mega evolution or z moves where they are a part of the universe, but end up only being used in a few games. You'd think Mega evolution would still be a gameplay mechanic since it SEEMED to be a big deal on Kalos, but it was nearly forgotten about in Alola because they added Z moves which will probably be almost useless in Sword and Shield due to the new Dynamaxing.
I just feel it's one gimick after another. Can we please have a solid new game mechanic that can stick around without being immediately overshadow by a different version of the same thing? Please?
Keep Calm and Game On!

~ JoshIndigo 2018

Bert

• Local Shitposter
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Runs a bank-making operation out of his banks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2019, 05:10:07 pm »
The legendaries are literally Zoids but the raven and snapping turtle are pretty cool.

Missing? NO!

• HOENN CONFIRMED GUYS
  • Staff
  • Offline Offline
  • BOW TO YOUR SENSEI
    • View Profile
    • Satellite Smash
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2019, 02:00:33 am »
Overall I'm pretty stoked about these games and the general direction of this franchise.

I've formatted my thoughts into a list of things I liked and things I didn't like. For your perusal...

PROS
  • The designs: First of all, I've gotta say -- wow. A lot of the designs shown today really wowed me and left a way more positive impression on me than some earlier generation's initial reveals. Corviknight looks especially cool, and Drednaw, Wooloo, and Zamazenta look pretty spectacular. Looks to be, in my opinion, a return to form for a series that has struggled a bit in the design department as of late. The only design that I really wasn't particularly fond of was Zacian's design. I would have at least thought they'd give the Sword legendary some kind of sword attached to its body, but, instead, what we got was just a generic-looking wolf holding a sword. Definitely leaning towards buying Shield because of this.
  • Wild Area: This is such a cool concept that I'm happy to see implemented into a Pokemon game. After doing some further research on this, it looks like there's only one "Wild Area" that'll connect all the different towns and cities within the Galar region. This gives me major Ocarina of Time / Hyrule Field vibes. I'm imagining just a huge, expansive open world with new paths that open up as you progress through your quest to keep the user on the right track. I can't imagine Game Freak going on a full open-world/open-exploration path for these games, but this is definitely a huge step in the right direction. Plus, the Wild Area itself just looked cool. Wild Pokemon roam around their natural habitat, interacting with the trainer's movements and exhibiting their own distinct personalities and reactions. It looks as if Pokemon will actually behave like real animals in the Wild Area, rather than just stationary objects for the trainer to catch. This, combined with the varieties in weather and landscape, really gives these areas life. I'm stoked to check these areas out.
  • The Galar Region: This is probably due to the Switch's hardware capabilities, but the new region looks absolutely beautiful. I'm sure the trailer was specifically structured this way, but the amount of detail I noticed in every town and city in the Galar region blew me away. And, in addition to this, the variety of locations was really intriguing, too. Varieties in camera angles, location styles, and more, should really help this adventure feel fresh, even in the longest of play sessions. I legitimately think that I'll still be exploring this world even after my adventure has concluded.

CONS:
  • Dynamaxing: This just seems like an unimaginative concept to me. Compare this to Generation 6's "gimmick", mega-evolutions. With mega-evolutions, Pokemon gained boosted stats and different abilities (some even had their types changed), along with a slick new design that highlighted some of the most prominent aspects of its base Pokemon. Dynamaxing, by comparison, seems incredibly less-creative. Rather than give a Pokemon a new, fresh, cool design, instead Game Freak chose to just make them incredibly large. Idk. I'm not sold on this part yet. It seems like, from the overview they give on their website, that Dynamaxing is a sort of middle-ground between Z-moves and mega-evolutions, but couldn't there be a cooler way to implement these changes rather than just making the Pokemon bigger? It's interesting.
  • The Legendaries: Don't get me wrong, I think the legendaries look pretty cool in their own right, for normal Pokemon. But, for a legendary, specifically a box legendary, they just look a little bland. To me, they look like generic white wolf Pokemon. Again, these aren't necessarily bad designs, just disappointing. Compare these legendaries to something like Dialga or Palkia -- Dialga and Palkia's designs seemed incredibly inspired, new, and unique. Zacian and Zamazenta seem boring by comparison. Also, Zacian being the Sword legendary but not actually having a sword attached to his body seems a little strange to me -- why is he just holding a sword in his mouth? Why couldn't his tail have been a sword, or something similar? That would have been much cooler than what we got.

That's what I definitively like and don't like so far. I'll need to see more from the story and raid battles before I can decide whether or not I'm going to like them. All in all, though, definitely stoked for these games and will purchase on release day for sure. Sort of amazing how a series I picked up when I was 6 still captivates me all these years later...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:01:35 am by Missing? NO! »

bwill11

• pleb with a big brain and nothing to do with it
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2019, 08:49:09 am »
Is anyone else getting Beta Gen 1 vibes from Dreadnaw or is that just me? Also, someone on r/pokememes pointed out that Corviknight looks just like the generic bird sprite used for the Fly animation in Gens 3-6, and since the direct suggests that it will help serve the same purpose, I wonder if that was the inspiration for Corviknight's design.
What if you wanted to research glitches but the opponent said
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.

Parzival

• The Laziest Malware Enthusiast
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • (null)
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:59 am »
can't wait to finally get to play this gen 10 years from now (considering current trends of lateness i'm put through by severe lack of money)

i'm also on keybase and bitchute but i don't have nifty buttons for those. Bitchute isn't ready yet, but will be eventually.

Updating profiles when tired... not a good idea.

Sherkel

• Hierarchitectitiptitoploftical
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • PSYNCIN' IN THE VaiN
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2019, 10:36:55 am »
The legendaries are literally Zoids but the raven and snapping turtle are pretty cool.
Oh, wow, you're onto something there. I'm looking forward to checking this series out now, so thank you for that!

As for Dynamaxing, I'll just wait until the competitive scene has figured out what to do with it before forming an opinion. Game Freak have shown a noticeable disregard for it since its inception, and my first thought is that any opponent will just Protect and Sub twice, provided they can't tell the enemy's moveset yet and don't know what to switch to to tank a hit. After that, the three turns are over. Maybe it'll only be that first turn that ends up counting, making it a second Z-move...but we'll see!

Want to help with the wiki?
I don't have a habit of keeping Discord open, so direct inquiries are preferred through here.