Databases
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
Pokémon cheat codes
Pokémon glitch terminology
Useful tools
More

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda) (日本語/Japanese)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki (English)
PRAMA Initiative (Français/French)
MissingNo. Glitch City (Italiano/Italian)
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Submerge glitch (Red/Blue/Yellow) - Encountering different unintended Pokémon  (Read 192 times)

Princess Torchic Owl Lover ☽ ❤

• Head Administrator
  • Online Online
  • Aspiring mother. 🦋 ✿
    • View Profile
As of now, this is ACE only, which is a shame because all you have to do is change one byte.

This is a new variation of https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Grass/rock_Surfing_glitch (Italian/Spanish) based on address D535.

Like https://glitchcity.info/wiki/English_grass/rock_Surfing_glitch ; this works in English Red/Blue. I'm afraid I forgot what this does to the memory. Perhaps it is linked with D535 too.

Theory: Encounter any Trainer on a route with grass encounters and water but no default water encounters, then change address D535 ('grass tile') to 0x14. 0x14 is normally the water tile. If you are on a right facing shore tile (as compared to a left one; the one used in the old man glitch), you can also use that instead and change 0x14 accordingly to 0x54

Changing D535 to 0x14 and moving in water will make you look partially submerged, like this:

It seems the game will now use the grass encounter rate (reading D535 as a grass tile) but the water encounter list.

This leads to lots of nice unintended encounters. Like old man overwriting grass table, Trainer roster data overwites the water table too. Mew may also possible with a Squirtle Trainer etc?

You can change D535 to 0x14 with arbitrary code execution (e.g. Lemonade x20 TM34 x 53 TM13 x 201) I'm wondering if however there are viable non-ACE ways to do this trick that wouldn't be obsoleted by Trainer escape glitch (not including the connection copier and invalid map scripts as they are closer to item ACE).

D535 may be hard to corrupt with Super Glitch as it is just too far away. It may work with multiple Super Glitches but would cause a lot of corruption and would likely freeze the game.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:57:52 am by Princess Torchic Owl Lover ☽ ❤ »

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿
Here have some free flowers on every post ^^

(Images © Sanrio, Nintendo, Pokémon, HAL Laboratory)

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Sex male, and spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

Feel free to contact me here about anything regarding the site.

Forgiveness. I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

Thank you Nyapon for this lovely artwork. :3

• Head Administrator
  • Online Online
  • Aspiring mother. 🦋 ✿
    • View Profile
New find: This glitch works in Yellow with the 0x14 method! So we can get easier no-trade wild 3TrainerPoké now. Pikachu off-screen glitch corrupts D438 onward. Therefore, D535 may just be in reach(??)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:58:25 am by Princess Torchic Owl Lover ☽ ❤ »

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Sex male, and spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

Forgiveness. I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

bwill11

• pleb with a big brain and nothing to do with it
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Nice find, though it is unfortunate that it is ACE only for now. I looked through the ItemDex, the GlitchDex and even some of the MetascriptDex for ideas on how to do this. Unfortunately the only idea I came up with was in Yellow version, Q;MP- sources its effects from ROM but is seemingly unpredictable, however it has been documented to change values in RAM, so with some more research into how it works Q;MP- might be used to change D535. There's also the possibility that one of the glitch map scripts in Yellow could work, but if that's the case there also needs to be a way to activate said map script while surfing.

A couple questions- How exactly do you manipulate the encounters (the grass/rock surfing glitch page doesn't explain anything other than that it's based on Trainer data, and has a link to a forum post on a website that doesn't seem to exist anymore), and how do you control the effects of Pikachu off-screen glitch?
What if you wanted to research glitches but the opponent said
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.

Krys3000

• French living dexer
  • Distinguished Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Head admin of the PRAMA Initiative
    • View Profile
    • PRAMA Initiative - French Pokémon glitch website
Hey Torchickens,

Good job! I actually like the Connection Copier and have trouble understanding why people hate it now ^^

By using the Connection Copier to do this trick, you would not require ACE per se. It is true that Trainer Escape appears easier no matter what, but it has its limitations too so... I think it's still a great find!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:36:45 pm by Krys3000 »

Admin of the PRAMA Initiative, the main french Pokémon glitch website
https://www.prama-initiative.com
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov

Parzival

• Buyer beware: House comes with 3 free skeletons in a closet of your choice.
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • This box intentionally left blank. ...wait...
    • View Profile
    • (null)
wait, would an underflowed party's map corruption effect do the trick?
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about destruction.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.
If you need to talk to someone, my PM inbox is always open.

• Head Administrator
  • Online Online
  • Aspiring mother. 🦋 ✿
    • View Profile
Hey Torchickens,

Good job! I actually like the Connection Copier and have trouble understanding why people hate it now ^^

By using the Connection Copier to do this trick, you would not require ACE per se. It is true that Trainer Escape appears easier no matter what, but it has its limitations too so... I think it's still a great find!

Thanks! :) Yeah, with the connection copier and map script abuse it's not as difficult to bootstrap ACE to items now.

If referring to menu sprite animation abuse probably not unfortunately. However, with post-6 swaps/Select glitches yes. In Red/Green, swapping item/Pokémon 21 seems to affect the relevant address (with the value depending on the Pokémon you swap it with's Special stat experience or similar) however it may cause tileset corruption, so more research is needed to find water tiles.

Parzival

• Buyer beware: House comes with 3 free skeletons in a closet of your choice.
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • This box intentionally left blank. ...wait...
    • View Profile
    • (null)
Hey Torchickens,

Thanks! :) Yeah, with the connection copier and map script abuse it's not as difficult to bootstrap ACE to items now.

If referring to menu sprite animation abuse probably not unfortunately. However, with post-6 swaps/Select glitches yes. In Red/Green, swapping item/Pokémon 21 seems to affect the relevant address (with the value depending on the Pokémon you swap it with's Special stat experience or similar) however it may cause tileset corruption, so more research is needed to find water tiles.
Yeah, I was thinking of >6 party poison corruptions.
Ask me about betrayal.
Ask me about depression.
Ask me about death.
Ask me about destruction.
Ask me about hardship.
I've been through s**t.
If you need to talk to someone, my PM inbox is always open.