Databases
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
Pokémon cheat codes
Pokémon glitch terminology
Useful tools
More

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda) (日本語/Japanese)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki (English)
PRAMA Initiative (Français/French)
MissingNo. Glitch City (Italiano/Italian)
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Game bugs out at Cinnabar when fixing dry PC underflow  (Read 93 times)

riggedfeelings

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Beautiful city is that glitch city.
    • View Profile
Game bugs out at Cinnabar when fixing dry PC underflow
« on: August 15, 2019, 12:49:08 pm »
Found an old Pokemon Red cartridge, I figured I would try performing TheZZAZZGlitch's "polymorphic 8F bootstrap".
I ran into a problem finding the correct trainer to perfom the Ditto glitch on to obtain 'a' (C0), so I used dry PC underflow [like demonstrated in ChickasaurusGL's (or, Torchic Owl Lover here) video on a trainer-less Ditto glitch] to obtain it.
Everything was fine from there, I completed the bootstrap, and wanted to deposit my items to prepare other items to run code from 8F. I forgot I used dry PC underflow, (luckily saved before fixing the it) and deposited a few items to return it to normal.
I noticed something strange afterward, because when I fixed the PC box, any attempt to enter Cinnabar Island either locks me in place or immediately crashes the game. It seems this only affects Cinnabar Island and not other maps, including Cinnabar's Pokemon Center. Did I somehow harm the map's data in any way (or, is there any workaround)?
(No, I don't believe I edited any item past 50 in the PC before fixing it, only the one I was told. Also, if it helps any, I can still access Cinnabar normally before I restore the box, it only crashes afterwards.)

bwill11

• pleb with a big brain and nothing to do with it
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Game bugs out at Cinnabar when fixing dry PC underflow
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 01:40:36 pm »
You probably deposited an item that altered map data of some kind when added to a stack of items in the expanded pc (or if the stack was 100 or more, indicated by something that's not a number showing up in the first digit, adding another to the stack will decrease the stack to 99 and create another stack with the remains). I'm not sure what changed, but if you only deposit items that don't appear anywhere in the expanded pc, it shouldn't alter anything (other than having the expanded pc of course). If you have key items that you don't need for anything anymore, use those since they won't ever be added to a stack.
also, a few things to make things easier-
1.The idea of the polymorphic 8f bootstrap is you don't catch an "a" (C0), but instead catch easier to obtain Pokemon and change a Pokemon into "a", as well as another glitch Pokemon. You don't need the ditto trick at all.
2. There isn't a specific trainer necessary for the Trainer escape glitch and ditto trick, any trainer that has max vision range will work, as explained on the trainer escape glitch page on the wiki. If there are no max vision range trainers left then you can use a deathwarp from a wild encounter in front of a trainer, but if you can't do that anywhere then the trainerless ditto trick is necessary.
What if you wanted to research glitches but the opponent said
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.
Enem.

riggedfeelings

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Beautiful city is that glitch city.
    • View Profile
Re: Game bugs out at Cinnabar when fixing dry PC underflow
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 03:49:12 pm »
Huh, been led to believe only certain trainers will work with the glitch since most to all methods I've seen only mention and use at most 5 trainers as ways to activate it.

I tried depositing my Town Map and Cinnabar is loading correctly now. I'm still wonky about this so I'm checking a few more times haha.