References/Resources
Databases
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
Interactive tools
Reference documents
Terminology

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda) (日本語/Japanese)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki (English)
PRAMA Initiative (Français/French)
MissingNo. Glitch City (Italiano/Italian)
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Defense Up 1 Glitch  (Read 142 times)

Raven Freak

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Sucks at sprite art
    • View Profile
Defense Up 1 Glitch
« on: September 19, 2019, 07:23:36 pm »
So I just recently attempted to do a Weedle only run in Blue version when I came across this glitch which makes the run impossible. I call it the Defense Up 1 glitch, because all moves that have this effect triggers this. It also seems to effect Poison type moves only, I'm currently not sure if it effects other types. I attempted to beat Brock with my level 17 Weedle when I could no longer hit Geodude after it used Defense Curl within two turns. Poison Sting's accuracy rate is 100%, but the Defense_Up1 effect seems to decrease any Poison type move's accuracy, making each move miss. Is this oversight well known? I know I haven't been keeping up with this place lately. :P I also haven't checked if the defense_up2 causes this to happen, so it could very well be the same case.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:25:18 pm by Raven Freak »

entrpntr

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • $FF The Police
    • View Profile
Re: Defense Up 1 Glitch
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 08:32:23 pm »
It's an artifact of the damage formula, which can return 0 only in the case of quad-resistant moves (such as poison vs ground/rock). In Gen 1, the game says the attack missed on such cases. The defense boosts presumably pushed Geodude's defense high enough to trigger it. It is mentioned on this bulbapedia page, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as well known.

Sherkel

• Hierarchitectitiptitoploftical
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • PSYNCIN' IN THE VaiN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 09:42:04 am »
I didn't know about it! Surely enough, someone seems to have caught it on the disassembly, but I don't think it's on here yet!

Want to help with the wiki?
I don't have a habit of keeping Discord open, so direct inquiries are preferred through here.

Raven Freak

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Sucks at sprite art
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 09:53:30 am »
Ah I was looking at the wrong part of the main battle code, I figured that since it wasn't documented here yet that it wasn't too well known. Looks like I'll have another page to add to the wiki, given if it hasn't been added yet. :)