References/Resources
Databases
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
Interactive tools
Reference documents
Terminology

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda) (日本語/Japanese)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki (English)
PRAMA Initiative (Français/French)
MissingNo. Glitch City (Italiano/Italian)
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Looking into JP Red/Green Missingno.  (Read 141 times)

jctitan48

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
Looking into JP Red/Green Missingno.
« on: March 16, 2020, 08:30:12 am »
Lately, I been doing things related to glitch Pokemon in the Japanese Red/Green games. I used cheat codes to freeze the sound bank to $08 so I'd prevent crashes related to those sound banks. I encountered Missigno., and well...

After some weird sounds, it corrupted all of the memory areas nearly up to the box data (around $DA5D)! It must be the sprite. It may have similar behavior to 4 4, or hex C1 glitch Pokemon, but I'm looking into it more.

(would you guys help me with this)

Evie the Bird Mother 🌸 ☽

• Veteran Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • ああ、紅茶がおいしい。 ~ ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Looking into JP Red/Green Missingno.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:39:19 am »
Lately, I been doing things related to glitch Pokemon in the Japanese Red/Green games. I used cheat codes to freeze the sound bank to $08 so I'd prevent crashes related to those sound banks. I encountered Missigno., and well...

After some weird sounds, it corrupted all of the memory areas nearly up to the box data (around $DA5D)! It must be the sprite. It may have similar behavior to 4 4, or hex C1 glitch Pokemon, but I'm looking into it more.

(would you guys help me with this)
Sure, I'll look into it for you. :)

The battle sound bank is, like English versions 08. It seems for me, at 113F, a becomes $88 because of an or with e (80).  08 or 80 thus produces sound bank $88 (leading to an earlier rather than later freeze). Therefore it's a question; where does e come from. Also if C0EF/C0F0 is 02 at this point (it's normally 08), I get 82 instead again from or e. With breakpoints on both C0EE on write and 113F; e is 40 then it goes 80 40 80 40 80 c0 80 c0 80 c0. Still this is not in the save file, hmm. However, it is the same when I encounter MissingNo. again at Red's house.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:21:39 am by Evie (retired from head adminship) »
(I was former joint head admin but stepped down)
✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿
Here have some free flowers on every post. ^^
✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿
Love, faith, hope are free. If all is lost friends save us.
Thanks fans for lovely Torchic artwork. ♡ First image thanks Nyapon.