References/Resources
Databases
Disassembly projects
The Big HEX List
Interactive tools
Reference documents
Terminology

Affiliates
Legendary Star Blob 2 (Hakuda) (日本語/Japanese)
Pokémon Speedruns wiki (English)
PRAMA Initiative (Français/French)
MissingNo. Glitch City (Italiano/Italian)
Become an affiliate!

Technical
Site source code

Search Wiki

Author Topic: Experience Candy glitch  (Read 274 times)

Caveat

• The Metropolitan Mutant of Ark
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Wrrrooooooaaaar! Peeko!
    • View Profile
Experience Candy glitch
« on: December 01, 2019, 09:03:00 am »
While watching AbsolVlogsPokemon's Level 100 Gauntlet videos (which are massively entertaining),  I noticed that he discovered an odd glitch while feeding Experience Candy to his Pokemon in his latest installment. Basically: If you select a Pokemon to feed the candy to and press down on the same frame, it will actually give the candy to the Pokemon BELOW the one you selected. This means you can give Experience Candy to Level 100 Pokemon, which normally isn't allowed, though the Pokemon's experience will not actually increase.
Now... what happens if you use Rare Candies?!
dr dr pepper is back

Parzival

• The Laziest Malware Enthusiast
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • (null)
Re: Experience Candy glitch
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 10:44:00 am »
While watching AbsolVlogsPokemon's Level 100 Gauntlet videos (which are massively entertaining),  I noticed that he discovered an odd glitch while feeding Experience Candy to his Pokemon in his latest installment. Basically: If you select a Pokemon to feed the candy to and press down on the same frame, it will actually give the candy to the Pokemon BELOW the one you selected. This means you can give Experience Candy to Level 100 Pokemon, which normally isn't allowed, though the Pokemon's experience will not actually increase.
Now... what happens if you use Rare Candies?!
prolly nothing, as the L100 mon didn't get experience and i'm guessing they did a lazy and just add experience until next level, as they already have that info calculatable through the Status screen probably.

i'm also on keybase and bitchute but i don't have nifty buttons for those. Bitchute isn't ready yet, but will be eventually.

Updating profiles when tired... not a good idea.

Raven Freak

• Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Sucks at sprite art
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 05:12:04 pm »
There's a fail safe now for Pokemon at level 100, granted if they evolve. You're allowed to give them a Rare Candy so that they can evolve. I don't currently have any Pokemon at level 100 in Sword to test this out with, but it's been mentioned over on the Pokemon subreddit. But if the Pokemon is fully evolved, nothing most likely happens.

Proteus

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • CHARIZRAD 'M ROXORX or is it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 03:07:45 am »
Can you give experience to egg with this trick too?

LTMS

• The most dense guy ever
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Voiding enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 12:16:03 pm »
Seems you actually can. This twitter thread shows how you can give candies to pokemons in an egg to make them evolve (they will be level 1 when the egg hatches regardless of the evolution stage) and also teach them TRs and TMs. Also, if he already has 4 moves and you try to use a TR or a TM, it will take you to the summary where you can see Stats, Ability and (obviously) moves.

Parzival

• The Laziest Malware Enthusiast
  • GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • (null)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 10:18:12 pm »
Seems you actually can. This twitter thread shows how you can give candies to pokemons in an egg to make them evolve (they will be level 1 when the egg hatches regardless of the evolution stage) and also teach them TRs and TMs. Also, if he already has 4 moves and you try to use a TR or a TM, it will take you to the summary where you can see Stats, Ability and (obviously) moves.
Wow, so even eggs are completely broken?
Also, "TR"?

i'm also on keybase and bitchute but i don't have nifty buttons for those. Bitchute isn't ready yet, but will be eventually.

Updating profiles when tired... not a good idea.

Bert

• Local Shitposter
  • Member+
  • Offline Offline
  • Runs a bank-making operation out of his banks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 11:36:36 pm »
Also, "TR"?

Technical Records, which are essentially single-use TMs.

LTMS

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Voiding enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 04:40:43 am »
Also, "TR"?

Yeah, eggs are broken. The problem is, if I evolve a Pokémon while in the egg and then I hatch it, they will still be level 1 even if they're actually evolved. In an online Hack Check at an official event, will they result as legit or cheat? Because you usually can't catch an (example) level 1 Cinderace.

Caveat

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 06:39:29 am »
So it's like the egg-viewing part of the Pomeg Glitch, except way easier and more useful.
AWESOME!
dr dr pepper is back

Evie the Mother Hen ☽ ❤

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • I love My Melody ✿(not really a mum but wanna be)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:20:04 am »
Yeah you can hatch evolved Eggs. For the party of three method (top, pokemon 2, Egg) it seems you need the second Pokemon and Egg Pokemon species to match (another says same line, but when I tried Caterpie slot 2 and Metapod Egg from previous use of the glitch it brought up the error?)  for this to work though, or you'll get the Switch error message which causes the game to close. I have a few videos on my Twitter Torchickens but currently unsure how to copy the link to individual tweets on this phone sorry.

There is another subglitch too where you can cause Rare Candy to give the amount of exp the previous Pokemon needs to next level to the wrong Pokemon. So have a Level 99 Pokemon next to a Level 1 one; in theory Rare Candy becomes OP and raises lots of levels for the Level 1.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:47:32 am by Evie the Mother Hen ☽ ❤ »

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿
Here have some free flowers on every post :)

(Images © Sanrio, Nintendo, Pokémon, HAL Laboratory)

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Transgender woman but spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman/I'm a 'girly' nerd who discovered herself. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

Feel free to contact me here about anything regarding the site.

Forgiveness. I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

Thank you Nyapon for this lovely artwork. :3

Caveat

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:22:35 am »
Yeah you can hatch evolved Eggs. For the party of three method (top, pokemon 2, Egg) it seems you need the second Pokemon and Egg Pokemon species to match (another says same line, but when I tried Caterpie slot 2 and Metapod Egg from previous use of the glitch it brought up the error?)  for this to work though, or you'll get the Switch error message which causes the game to close.
Probably has something to do with experience growth rate? Who knows!
Imagine you hatch an egg and a full-grown Grimmsnarl comes out of it...
dr dr pepper is back

Sherkel

• Hierarchitectitiptitoploftical
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • PSYNCIN' IN THE VaiN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 12:57:28 pm »
I can post the links then. Very neat find, a bit like the good old Select glitches. :)

Giving a Wailmer 1304044 Exp.: https://twitter.com/BrybryPokebip/status/1203355430291935232

Evolving Caterpie through the glitch: https://twitter.com/Torchickens/status/1203347487110520833

Evolving an Egg into an Egg: https://twitter.com/Torchickens/status/1203335679964516352

Want to help with the wiki?
I don't have a habit of keeping Discord open, so direct inquiries are preferred through here.

LTMS

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Voiding enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 01:06:04 pm »
Now I wonder: If I evolve the Pokémon in the egg, then trade the egg, will the player I gave the egg hatch the evolved Pokémon or they'll get the base form? Sadly I can't research it myself since I don't have a Switch yet ;_;

Also, my congratulations to Game Freak for not learning in years to block simultaneous button presses *trainer escape glitch flashbacks*
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:20:33 pm by LTMS »

Evie the Mother Hen ☽ ❤

• Head Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • I love My Melody ✿(not really a mum but wanna be)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 03:44:44 pm »
Thanks Sherkel for posting the links! ^^ @LTMS I imagine yes they'd get the evolved Pokemon unless the game has any error checking for reverting it. In the past the games at least Generation II-III, (IV-V too maybe? I don't know if also true for VI, VII.) III because I remember Vae's video in Generation III where a Kadabra Egg trade evolved or similar) didn't mind and changing the contents of the Egg is not subject to it reverting back even after trade. The game doesn't store a backup of the stage 1 species if the contents is altered like in this glitch.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:49:35 pm by Evie the Mother Hen ☽ ❤ »

Here have some free flowers on every post :)

(Images © Sanrio, Nintendo, Pokémon, HAL Laboratory)

✿ Hi, I'm Evie. Transgender woman but spiritually doesn't believe 'male'/'female' needs to be defined; lives more stereotypically like a woman/I'm a 'girly' nerd who discovered herself. Call me whichever pronouns you like. :)

Feel free to contact me here about anything regarding the site.

Forgiveness. I feel that the more people pray to our greatest source/God/mathematical equality for world peace, the more and more it manifests into reality (until our next spiritual death).

Thank you Nyapon for this lovely artwork. :3

LTMS

• GCLF Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Voiding enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 03:53:27 pm »
Thanks Sherkel for posting the links! ^^ @LTMS I imagine yes they'd get the evolved Pokemon unless the game has any error checking for reverting it. In the past the games at least Generation II-III, (IV-V too maybe? I don't know if also true for VI, VII.) III because I remember Vae's video in Generation III where a Kadabra Egg trade evolved or similar) didn't mind and changing the contents of the Egg is not subject to it reverting back even after trade. The game doesn't store a backup of the stage 1 species if the contents is altered like in this glitch.
Alright, thanks for the clarification ^-^ Now the last possible doubt is how hack checks will behave regarding evolved level 1 pokemons. But I guess we'll know when the competitive season starts and someone goes and tries.